2008 650 Overheat no power - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy 2008 650 Overheat no power

Well this was my brothers Prowler we decided to use, put 27x12x12 mud lites and 4 seats in it, will not do over 30 in the sand and 40 on the road and if you drive it for more than 15 minutes it over heats. My buddies Ranger smokes us with 4 adults and 2 kids in it?
Question 1: Any thoughts on overheating? Why? what to do etc?

Question 2: What mods have you all done to make it faster and more reliable, I am willing to spend some money, my brother put the ECU Chip in and it runs crappy with it, I assume since he has done no other mods (Airbox, jets, pipe, etc) Either it goes fatser and is more reliable or I have to buy a RZR for my wife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Jounior Member

Over heat problem, no power

There is some thing really wrong with it for sure, I have a 07 650 xt (stock) and it would smoke that thing,. I think I would try the old ECU chip if you have it, and see if that makes a diffrence .
OR it may require the carb get re jetted for the new ECU chip.
As far as the over heating problem i would check to be sure the fan turns on before it over heats, and if it does , go for a new thermostat. If you do go with a new thermostat, I would read some of the other posts here cause there is a way of burping the system to get all the air out, Something about lifting the radiator higher than the engine..
Thats about the extent of my knowledge, I'm new to the Artic Cat world, and only rode mine once for about an hour.
Sorry i couldnt help you more, but i'm sure a few others will chime in with a lot better info for you...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0302.jpg
Views:	2392
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	970  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008650prowler View Post
Well this was my brothers Prowler we decided to use, put 27x12x12 mud lites and 4 seats in it, will not do over 30 in the sand and 40 on the road and if you drive it for more than 15 minutes it over heats. My buddies Ranger smokes us with 4 adults and 2 kids in it?
Question 1: Any thoughts on overheating? Why? what to do etc?

Question 2: What mods have you all done to make it faster and more reliable, I am willing to spend some money, my brother put the ECU Chip in and it runs crappy with it, I assume since he has done no other mods (Airbox, jets, pipe, etc) Either it goes fatser and is more reliable or I have to buy a RZR for my wife
I run an RMstator cdi with no other mods. 2 back seats for the kids and it runs pretty good. I hit around 55 the other day with my winshield down. So I agree, somethings wrong. Do you run a higher octane? I think you have to with an aftermarket cdi. Check your plug is it sooty black, brown or white?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Slow Artic cat

I have not pulled the plug, it just went in for its first warranty check up and they changed the plug before my trip and said nothing about it, though the shop I think stinks. I will pull it out this weekend, and maybe change the plug and put street tires back on and see how it does. I do not know if fan came on before it overheated, my wife was driving and when I pulled up she had stopped and was letting fan run
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Founding Member

I put 26' bighorns on my 06 650 and it was such a turd I couldnt believe it. So thats the weekend I had the green light to do a motor swap. and the search for the Rotax 800 began.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Jounior Member

slow cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008650prowler View Post
I have not pulled the plug, it just went in for its first warranty check up and they changed the plug before my trip and said nothing about it, though the shop I think stinks. I will pull it out this weekend, and maybe change the plug and put street tires back on and see how it does. I do not know if fan came on before it overheated, my wife was driving and when I pulled up she had stopped and was letting fan run
So the fan was running, I guess make sure the radiator is not pluged and change the thermostat with a new one, After that if it still over heats then i think you have serious problems, Possibly head gasket, jumped timing chain, maby even water jacket pluged, if that can even happen on these machines. BUT all of my experience has been with cars, 4 wheelers, and 3 wheelers, Not a utv but im guessing that they are all preety much the same when it comes to over heating problems.
Good look 2008650prowler Hope everything workes out all right, Keep us posted..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement