Let The Bodies Hit The Floor...Project Desert Racer - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Let The Bodies Hit The Floor...Project Desert Racer

It has started... might take a few weeks, but it's on....

From this...

To this in 4 hours....

During the tear down, we found a cracked and bent upper shock mount as well as several loose bolts on the chassis. No Soup For You Arctic Cat....

The project will be a full tube cage built to SCORE and BITD rules. Hope to have it done and tested in time for the Vegas to Reno BITD in August.

Arctic Cat Prowler Desert Race XTZ: ITP BajaCross tires on ITP Beadlocks, Beard Super TZ Seats, Crowe 5pt harnesses, King Off-Road Racing Shocks, Custom Racing Chassis with 7 inch longer wheelbase, +5 Suspension set at 16 Front and 17 inches Rear inches travel, UTVINC did the tube bending
TEAM PROWLER NATION...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 01:25 PM

man/... you know what Daryl..i just lowered my seats following your pics and you wouldnt believe the missing and lose crap i found on my car.....i agree..no soup for AC...

Prowler 1k - "El Diablo Del Gato"
dude..it rocks...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split View Post
man/... you know what Daryl..i just lowered my seats following your pics and you wouldnt believe the missing and lose crap i found on my car.....i agree..no soup for AC...
I found bolts that are accessible only when you tear down the car to the chassis that were loose. It makes me think that my XTZ was made on a Friday afternoon when the assembly line folks were thinking about going home already.
I will say though, when I raced motocross many years back, it was common to buy a new bike, take it home and put on all the go fast goodies, then tear it down and reassemble it with locktite.

I'm glad I decided to go ahead and do the race build now rather than running it for a year in stock class. Between the ball-joint/hub pulling apart, the bent and cracked upper shock mount and the loose bolts, I was driving an 80mph, self disentigrating buggy.

But I still love my Prowler. It's fast, handles good and outdoes most of the competiton in several areas. Now if AC would just start building them the way we do. I'm sure that Todd, Chris, the other Chris, Johnny or myself would be happy to let AC know what works and what is totally %*$&ed up.

Arctic Cat Prowler Desert Race XTZ: ITP BajaCross tires on ITP Beadlocks, Beard Super TZ Seats, Crowe 5pt harnesses, King Off-Road Racing Shocks, Custom Racing Chassis with 7 inch longer wheelbase, +5 Suspension set at 16 Front and 17 inches Rear inches travel, UTVINC did the tube bending
TEAM PROWLER NATION...

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 02:27 PM

btw ...thanks for the detailed pix on the seat lowering. Just enough to get me started in the right direction and still have a removable subframe for access. Still not sure what she will look like when i get the plastics back on though, since i relocated a few things,...

dude..it rocks...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 02:31 PM

I also found all kinds of loose or missing hardware when I tore mine down after 100mi. I posted about it and I was told I must have got a bad one. Ya right.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 08:11 PM

Hey Split, can you pass those detailed photos on to me of the seat lowering. Cat n hat is helping as well as Dusty, but any pics are good and im tearing mine down as we speak.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 08:22 PM

Daryl has them posted in a 9 page thread on his cage...i also have some from my build if you want...couple posted in gallery as well..pm me your email addy and i will shoot them over. Split

dude..it rocks...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 12:14 AM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl89 View Post
I found bolts that are accessible only when you tear down the car to the chassis that were loose. It makes me think that my XTZ was made on a Friday afternoon when the assembly line folks were thinking about going home already.
I will say though, when I raced motocross many years back, it was common to buy a new bike, take it home and put on all the go fast goodies, then tear it down and reassemble it with locktite.

I'm glad I decided to go ahead and do the race build now rather than running it for a year in stock class. Between the ball-joint/hub pulling apart, the bent and cracked upper shock mount and the loose bolts, I was driving an 80mph, self disentigrating buggy.

But I still love my Prowler. It's fast, handles good and outdoes most of the competiton in several areas. Now if AC would just start building them the way we do. I'm sure that Todd, Chris, the other Chris, Johnny or myself would be happy to let AC know what works and what is totally %*$&ed up.
I would love to head up to AC head quarters with some of the members here and discuss basic engineering 101 with these guys. No doubt!

2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 with a few modifications. Needs paint & powder coating.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Jounior Member

Darryl do you have any pics of the ball joint mod?

2009 Orange XTZ
Prestige Motorsports 4 seat cage, tie rods. UtvInc skids, half doors. 1.5in wheel spacers.

http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/ar...html#post37739
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal2ks View Post
Darryl do you have any pics of the ball joint mod?
Not yet, I haven't had a chance to do much this week, work has kept me slammed. But I hope to get some photos done in the next week.
I used a 7/16 drill and opened up the hole a bit. Then I installed a 2inch-7/16 grade 8 bolt that went all the way through. I made sure the mating surface of both sides were flat to the bolt head and locknut (flanged). The bolt had a smooth surface that went out far enough to engage the groove in the ball joint spindle.

TEAM PROWLER NATION...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement