Engine Knock? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Engine Knock?

Picked up a 2011 Prowler HDX700 and it sounds like a slight rod knock. Is this normal?

I had a 2003 Troy Lee Edition Predator that sounded like it had a rod knock. Cam Sprocket slipped on the cam and Polaris rebuilt the engine. Still had the same rod knock sound as it had since new.

Just wondering if this is a big bore sound or a failure waiting to happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 01:20 PM
Administrator

These things make a lot of noise! Does it do it cold, and warm? Can you feel any vibrations (sharp tapping) on the cylinder crankcase! If the valve clearance is too much, you will get some noise. Valves should be set cold at .004intake, and .006Exhaust. Does the knocking sound speed up with RPM? And Welcome to the site! Others will chime in as they see your post! We are friendly bunch!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Honestly, you hear it when it is idling, step in and touch the gas and the engine drowns the knock sound out even if you only give it a little gas.

Ran a little weird when I first brought it home so I changed the plug, then poured 2 oz of Seafoam in the case. Ran it a bit to warm it up and then changed the oil.

After the oil change it seemed to quiet down a hair. Also topped off the tank with 91 and dumped the rest of the can of Sea Foam in the tank.

Seems to be running better.

Throttle is touchy or sticky too so I'll have to work on smoothing that out also.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 03:31 PM
Administrator

More than likely normal sounds! The throttle can take some getting used to! There are two springs available on the throttle, one heavy, and one light. I have a heavy one on mine, and after 3 years it is still hard to get used to! I use AMESOIL in mine, full synthetic 20/50. Make sure any oil you use is wet clutch compatible. I change mine every 3-500 miles, but oil changes are up to the individual. Synthetics can go up to 1,000 miles between changes depending on use. Check your oil for any particles when you drain it, I check the drain plug, and also run a magnet in the drained oil. If you are really anal, you can cut the filter open!LOL

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

I used the Arctic Cat 0w-40 when I did the oil change and noticed the normal amount of "Sludge" on the drain bolt magnet. smelled funny but that could have been the sea Foam too. LOL

Just used it to haul a heavier item across the yard and will definitely keep listening to the engine. Hope to listen to another "known good" Prowler 700 engine so I can either relax, or prepare for a rebuild.

Unfortunately, everyone I know runs Polaris but some family members did join an ATV Club so I'll have them listen to mine, then see if there are any on their group rides.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 05:04 AM
Administrator

Normal maintenance on these will pay for itself in the long run. One thing about the Prowlers is they all pretty much make noise! The only issues I've had with my 700 are ones that I caused! 6,500 miles plus, and the bottom end still looks like new!

Either - Dick or RD
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 05:41 AM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont79 View Post
One thing about the Prowlers is they all pretty much make noise!

EEEH what noise , did you say NOISE ... hold on a minute got to turn this dag nabit thing off can't hear you

lining the dog house with sound deadner helps for heat and noise but they do make a ton of "music" to the ear.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 07:00 AM
Administrator

You got that right!

Either - Dick or RD
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 07:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont79 View Post
More than likely normal sounds! The throttle can take some getting used to! There are two springs available on the throttle, one heavy, and one light. I have a heavy one on mine, and after 3 years it is still hard to get used to! I use AMESOIL in mine, full synthetic 20/50. Make sure any oil you use is wet clutch compatible. I change mine every 3-500 miles, but oil changes are up to the individual. Synthetics can go up to 1,000 miles between changes depending on use. Check your oil for any particles when you drain it, I check the drain plug, and also run a magnet in the drained oil. If you are really anal, you can cut the filter open!LOL

Hey Fairmont. Where can I find the options for the throttle springs? So far I have only been able to find a stock replacement which in my opinion is to stiff.

Thanks

Charlie
Cape Coral, FL
2014 Prowler 700 HDX Limited
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 03:16 PM
Administrator

I drove a friends 2009 650, I have a 2009 700, his throttle was a very light feel, so I looked up the 650 part number and it was different from mine so that was the number I ordered, AC Part # 0405-233. Compared to what I had it is much lighter.

Either - Dick or RD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement