Bevel Gears Blown on XTZ - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Bevel Gears Blown on XTZ

Hey guys, i am just looking to see how many XTZ owners out there have had their bevel gears break, causing complete engine failure. I've had 2 go on my XTZ, and I only have 638km on the machine. My arctic cat dealership said that they have never heard of this problem, so if you could just chime in and say you have, I will show them this thread, so they can see for themselves its not just me. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Jounior Member

Bevel gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidds View Post
Hey guys, i am just looking to see how many XTZ owners out there have had their bevel gears break, causing complete engine failure. I've had 2 go on my XTZ, and I only have 638km on the machine. My arctic cat dealership said that they have never heard of this problem, so if you could just chime in and say you have, I will show them this thread, so they can see for themselves its not just me. Thanks!!!
What gears are you referring to in the engine? Part numbers or pictures work great for me.

Thnx,
RS
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaatvr View Post
What gears are you referring to in the engine? Part numbers or pictures work great for me.

Thnx,
RS
Ya, I'm curious too..

Arctic Cat Prowler Desert Race XTZ: ITP BajaCross tires on ITP Beadlocks, Beard Super TZ Seats, Crowe 5pt harnesses, King Off-Road Racing Shocks, Custom Racing Chassis with 7 inch longer wheelbase, +5 Suspension set at 16 Front and 17 inches Rear inches travel, UTVINC did the tube bending
TEAM PROWLER NATION...

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Bad bevels are common with the mudders. Big tires and hammering on it in reverse seem to be what makes them go the quickest. Sometimes just the gears go and sometimes it cracks the cases. There was a bevel gear update on the 09 model H1s I believe. Checkout the arcticcat section at www.highlifter.com go to mudhole, then forum. I've read where some guys are having their gears cryod. Do you have bigger tires?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

i don't have pics, as the machine is still getting fixed, been there for a month on thursday, but whats going is a secondary gear in the tranny, which then takes out the whole engine.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Also, the tires i am running are 27" grim reapers, which aren't that big when you compare them with the stock 26" tires.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Also, the tires i am running are 27" grim reapers, which aren't that big when you compare them with the stock 26" tires.
Are you getting a new engine or a rebuild?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Hopefully a new engine. Just fighting with my dealer right now. They said they have not gotten paid from the first job, called ac, and they said there was no claims. Someone is lying.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 07:49 AM

Curious what caused them to go the first time. Were you hammering on it pretty hard. Any driveline bind, like stuck and spinning the wheels till they hop?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 08:28 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyansCat View Post
Bad bevels are common with the mudders. Big tires and hammering on it in reverse seem to be what makes them go the quickest. Sometimes just the gears go and sometimes it cracks the cases. There was a bevel gear update on the 09 model H1s I believe. Checkout the arcticcat section at www.highlifter.com go to mudhole, then forum. I've read where some guys are having their gears cryod. Do you have bigger tires?
The bad bevel gears in the diffs was primarily an XT650 and XTX700 problem on models prior to 2009. The XTZs haven't been having that problem for the most part. As for mudders, those guys have all kinds of breakage on every brand. When you put 30inch mudder tires on, spin the tires uncontrollably in mud and then the tires catch traction periodically, things will break. Most mudders expect this kind of damage and buld accordingly.
As for the secondary gear in the transmission breaking, I have never heard of that problem. Doesn't mean that isn't a valid problem, I've just never heard of it happening before now. I don't suspect the 27inch tires to be the main fault, oversize tires tend to break axles and diff's before trannys get broken.
Good luck Fidds, I hope they get it taken care of. Have the techs check the alignment of the gear shafts and such, it sounds like something may be misaligned in the tranny.

Arctic Cat Prowler Desert Race XTZ: ITP BajaCross tires on ITP Beadlocks, Beard Super TZ Seats, Crowe 5pt harnesses, King Off-Road Racing Shocks, Custom Racing Chassis with 7 inch longer wheelbase, +5 Suspension set at 16 Front and 17 inches Rear inches travel, UTVINC did the tube bending
TEAM PROWLER NATION...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement