New to me xtz 1000 - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

New to me xtz 1000

Hi everybody I've been lurking around here for awhile reading different posts and learning what I can. A couple weeks ago a friend of the wife's called, said she needed money and offered to sell us her non running Prowler. It's a 2010 with 1324mi but it has never had a bath or seen a garage. She said it just quit running a few months ago and didn't know what was wrong. She wanted $500 for it! I told the wife to tell her I was on my way. Got it home and haven't had much time to work on it since we just had a baby last week. I did put a new battery in and checked it over. Had weak spark so I cleaned the plugs and still no start. I give it a little snort of ether and it fired up and ran. Found out it had a broken rear axle and a few other minor issues but I shut it off and went out the next day and it wouldn't start again. I ordered new plugs and I'm going to get them to day. I hope it fixes it. If I can get it running good then I'll start cleaning it up, service it and get a new axle. Are these pretty reliable machines? I mainly will be using it around the farm for feeding and check pastures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum! Very good machine that you picked up! Give it a good cleaning, replace all of the fluids with quality brands. It has a wet clutch, so any oil you use must be compatible. Rear axles are available on ebay at half the cost of OEM. Download a service repair manual from K&T lawn (they are free). Get to know the machine, keep your service up and they will provide many hours of service. I use all synthetics in mine, and change the oil about every 600 miles. Synthetics can go up to 1000 miles between changes. The front and real differentials I change out yearly. Belt life on these is pretty good, most belts last at least 3,000 miles, unless they are beat on! Biggest thing I see is that it has sat for a while, get it running and break it in as a new one!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 04:02 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtze99 View Post
Hi everybody I've been lurking around here for awhile reading different posts and learning what I can. A couple weeks ago a friend of the wife's called, said she needed money and offered to sell us her non running Prowler. It's a 2010 with 1324mi but it has never had a bath or seen a garage. She said it just quit running a few months ago and didn't know what was wrong. She wanted $500 for it! I told the wife to tell her I was on my way. Got it home and haven't had much time to work on it since we just had a baby last week. I did put a new battery in and checked it over. Had weak spark so I cleaned the plugs and still no start. I give it a little snort of ether and it fired up and ran. Found out it had a broken rear axle and a few other minor issues but I shut it off and went out the next day and it wouldn't start again. I ordered new plugs and I'm going to get them to day. I hope it fixes it. If I can get it running good then I'll start cleaning it up, service it and get a new axle. Are these pretty reliable machines? I mainly will be using it around the farm for feeding and check pastures.
Thats a steal for 500 dollars,you have plenty of room to spare as far as money to make it a nice machine.......the xtz 1000 is a power house.......

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 06:49 PM
Loyal Member

both the above posts are very accurate ..

my XTZ has over 5000 nearing 6000 .. NEVER any issues with it and over 5000 on the original belt when I changed it out just 'cause.

give the proper servicing to include all fluids [as above RD gave very sound advice] .. keep the air filters clean as these have a poor intake tract IMHO , in dust ya need to clean VERY OFTEN ! ... give it fresh fuel as it probably has contamination or is bad from sitting .. it will take a much larger battery [read the old threads and FAQ's on that] if you use the winch much you might want a larger battery ... don't lug them in high gear pulling a load , use low range .. your tranny and belt will love you.

from the factory they sag with the stock springs .. there are threads here about that and after market ones .. they will haul a bunch with good springs , I have 350 lb springs and for HEAVY USE like a farm rig maybe a 400 of 450 lb spring would be even better .. the bed floor will get hot so maybe a better heat shield will be needed on a farm rig also or if you put you fur family member in there it WILL need some insulation or you'll burn their feet pads.

suggest for sure you get the manual and follow the service procedures and more frequent services if used as most farm rigs are used.

better lights are a help especially using in daylight and evening chores .. might suggest a LED light bar of some good length mounted up high at roof line of just below the roof. also some rear facing LED floods might help ya.

do some reading on tire choice v/s terrain make a big difference as to where the rig will perform for you .. you didn't mention where you are so read up.

welcome to the house and good luck getting things up and running well.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 07:10 PM
Lifetime Member

Garage
Welcome to the forum! 500 bucks is a steal, hell it cost that much just to put a new set of tires on it.
de3 likes this.

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks for all the advice so far. I put my new plugs in earlier tonight and it fired right off. I didn't run it long as I had emptied the tank and didn't have fresh gas to put in. I plan to change all the fluids next. I am the maintenance supervisor at an oil blending and bottling plant so have access to synthetic oils to change out. I noticed the sag in the springs and the poor air cleaner system but haven't had a chance to research yet. I did down load the manual a few days ago but haven't had a chance to look through it. I'd like to give it a bath before working on it but its supposed to be 20 tomorrow and the next couple days. I'm in Southern Illinois so who knows it maybe 60 by next weekend.

What is the best battery or the biggest to use? I put the battery out of my mower in it just to see if it would start. I think it's a 325 cranking amp. The old battery is a 30 amp hour. I attempted to post pictures of the rig but it keeps telling me an error occurred.

I was hoping they were a good machine, I really don't know anybody that has one and never really looked at them. I've eyeballed some other brands but couldn't justify the cost. It will surely be better than my lifted ezgo although it's never let me down but it does have its limits.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 08:31 PM

Crap! I'll give you $2000 sight unseen and come grab it from ya. You got a deal!!! Wow!!!
de3 likes this.

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and lights, lights and more lights!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Lol Bryan I've had several offers on it already. I figure if I don't like it I'll have a good trade in on something different. I actually felt bad for the woman that I bought it from buts that's what she wanted for it and like the wife said if I didn't buy it someone else would have. The previous owner got a big inheritance a few years ago and pissed it away on toys and such like the prowler and now she's broke and selling it when she needs money. Bad thing is her, her husband and kid didn't take care of anything.
de3 likes this.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 02:53 AM

I think you need 10 posts to upload pics..Don't worry it goes by fast..

Tim

2010 A/C XTZ with some "Stuff" SOLD
But still here everyday to contribute to the cause
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 04:47 AM
Administrator

There loss, your gain. Good for you! The motors on these are pretty stout! It will surprise the heck out of you when you get it sorted out! They are easy to work on, and maintained properly will last forever!
de3 likes this.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement