weekend carnage ! - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

weekend carnage !

well guys i just got back from a awsome weekend at Gordons Well ! the Ol Cat did amazing right up to the point when she broke ! lol while rolling down sand highway we were about 7 miles from GW , running between 50 60mph . i let up on the gas a moment to let a guy pass . laid back into it and all the sudden BANG ! buggy jumps off the groundwith tires locked up slides alil till the tires break loose again and rolls to a stop ! . no problem right? rip into it comfirm broken belt . blast to glamis , pay $90 for a new one from KD cycle. blast back and change it . fire it up pull forward and its making a knocking sound . i flip it in to 2wd and the noise went away . run it up and down the road a minute in both 2 and 4 wd and no more noise . ok by this time my group of 15 people are plowed and ready to go . so i lay into it and let her rip . so were running about 60mph again and 2 miles ater i did the same thing let up to let a guy pass and when i hit the gas again BOOM ! DONE, GAME OVER ! LOL so i get to ride the tow rope 10 miles back to GW . im running it over to Chris at EAAC this week , but i wondered what you all thought might of happened . by the looks of the belt it doesnt smell or look burned . it really just expolded ! and tore apart ! i have pics ill post tomarrow when i get the camera out . im thinking something inthe wet clutch locked up and streched that bet under load till it exploded . when we got back to camp . pulling in slow there was a deep knocking sound coming from the trans .

i wouldnt think i over worked it just blasting down sand highway ? it wasnt like i had it floored it was running awsome and about 3/4 throttle . if so what do i need to change to keep this from happening . i wanted to have the clutches done before this trip but AIRDAM was to booked to fit in both of our time frames . so they are still getting done aftdr i find out what happened here .

oh YEAH the EARTHQUAKE was Fn AWSOME !!!!!!! BEST RIDE OF THE WEEKEND !!! .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Rides all the time

Wow...what a weekend.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

nobody has any ideas what happened? i talked with ChriS @ eaac and he is curious to see what happened too! lol

BIPOLAR JIM , DARRYL either of you seen this happen yet in the desert racing ?

thanks guys

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Founding Member

PM sent Matt.

Arctic Cat Prowler Desert Race XTZ: ITP BajaCross tires on ITP Beadlocks, Beard Super TZ Seats, Crowe 5pt harnesses, King Off-Road Racing Shocks, Custom Racing Chassis with 7 inch longer wheelbase, +5 Suspension set at 16 Front and 17 inches Rear inches travel, UTVINC did the tube bending
TEAM PROWLER NATION...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl89 View Post
PM sent Matt.

for all of the rest of you , darryl threw out the idea that one of the clutches stuck in the tight postion and failed to release the belt . and when i hit the gas the other clutch tightened up to the point the belt expolded ! twice ! lol im hoping to get it in the shop this week and ill let everyone know what we find .
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

the more intact belt is the orginal belt with 800 miles on it . the chuncks are from the second Dayco belt that went just a couple of miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0406001808[1].jpg
Views:	114
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1088   Click image for larger version

Name:	0404001157[1].jpg
Views:	114
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1089  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Loyal Member

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Let us know what you find was the cause.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 09:02 PM

Sorry , keep us up to date.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Rides all the time

Man, not much of them left! Hopefully the problem isn't too major.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement