Newbie Looking for some input - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Newbie Looking for some input

Hi Im new here and new to UTV's, been researching a lot and have a ton of questions on different things. Found some good info, but mostly old and a lot to take in, so any help would be much appreciated. Mine is 2008 650 with stock tires, rear bench seat, full cage, and a roof. As far as I can tell there are no performance mods and seems to run great around 5000 feet, jets are currently 138,85,40.

Looking into jetting and bought 6 different size jets(main jets, I think128-142) Then saw a lot on switching out some of the other jets, spacer on the needles, and adjustments to the air fuel screw. Seems like a lot of tinkering. Will also be doing a clutch kit with the jetting.

Mine started to bog down and run out of power on anything uphill at about 6000', had to run it in 2 low, then even that was not enough once I hit about 7500 feet. I will be in utah riding anywhere from 5,000-10,000, guessing mostly 6,000-8,000.

Not worried about high speed and ultimate performance, just want to be able use it in a broader range of altitude with burning it up when at the lower end.

Saw a few adjustable jet systems that in theory sound great, but if they require a ton of tinkering with then I would just rather switch out the jets as needed. Anyone have experience with these?

How about efi? are there aftermarket kits or can you swap parts from newer prowlers. Probably will go with jets or an adjustable jet, unless something else isn't too expensive.

Any recommended clutch kits? thinking since I have the extra weight and passenger that I should just go with 6000'+ kit for bigger tires.

What is a safe tire size to go to without robbing too much power and straining the drivetrain, need to buy tires so figured I would go a little bigger. Can you swap 12" wheels onto them with wheel spacers and lug pattern converters? tons more good used stuff for cheap locally in 12".

last thing I need to do is raise the rear end with the extra weight, bottom half of the coils are touching each other without passengers in the rear. Are there aftermarkets, or ones that can be swamped from other machines, or other lift options for the rear?

thx for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 04:05 PM

Hi, and welcome. What's your name? I am Terry.

I cannot answer your questions as I am only slightly familiar with my own Prowler, but I think there are more than a few folks here that can help you.

That said, its nice to see new folks coming to this site to seek answers, contribute answers, and socialize.

Terry
2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 Baja - ITP beadlock wheels, ITP Baja Cross X/D tires, 2" wheel spacers, harness bar, 5 point harnesses, custom doors, 4 Vision X LED lights, 2 PIAA lights, RAM mounts on roll bar and dash, military truck mirrors, polished aluminum rear frame brace, inside tube rear frame stiffeners, Mossy Oak camo pattern seats, custom front brush guard, parking brake 'on' alarm, Throttlemaxx controller, Uni pre-filter, and Mobil 1 4T M/C 10W-40 racing oil with K&N filter.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

HI Terry thx for the welcome, I'm Adam and look forward to getting some good pointers, hopefully down the road Ill be able to give some good feedback to others as well.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 05:15 AM
Administrator

Welcome Adam! You came to the right place! Great members, great info, and a lot of experience! Your thoughts on the clutch kit sounds right. EPI advises lighter clutch rollers for larger tires. What you gain on the low end may take away from the top end. Jet sizes are something I'll leave to another member (de3), as he is the man on carbs! I'm not aware of any EFI conversations. To use factory parts would be a nightmare! New ECM, Wiring harness, MAP, injector, and more.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 06:24 AM
Lifetime Member

Garage
Welcome to the site! As for the shocks, Gary will be on here and give advice on that, I think he put his rear springs on the front shocks and bought heavier springs for the rear to help with the gear he hauls.

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 07:02 AM
Loyal Member

welcome to the house !

as to springs .. factory ships them sagging some go under 9" on advertised 13"

I got from Summit Racing [or Jegs also has them] replacement springs I went with 350 lb ones but could have easily gone to 400 lb ones as I do carry a bunch of recovery gear and have a full cage enclosure / rack on the back ( pic in link below ) ... and yes Mike above is right how I did it.,,use search QA-1 coil over shock springs at Summit. take one of yours off and measure length and ID for fitment size. (don't know if yours and mine are the same0

as to the 12" rims .. don't think there is clearance over the calipers without modifying them with a grinder.

one important thing ... use the right gear and your belt will thank you .... low speed driving for long time in high gear will heat the belt and climbing steep hills using your power in high will also shorten belt life ... pulling heavy also use low , plow in low etc.

IMHO keep the rig as stock as you can with power / tires size / ETC. and you'll have much more enjoyment from the rig and fewer trail side break downs UNLESS of course wrenching on rides is your thing
Fairmont79 likes this.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 07:10 AM
Loyal Member

OH forgot ....

newby's get to brew up morning coffee and your already late

and also you get to bring in a load of wood for the fire pit ... now sit a spell have a brew and sling some good lie's like the rest of us

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 01:59 PM
Administrator

As usual, good advice!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

awesome, thanks Guys. Definitely looking to keep it pretty stock, just need to compensate for the elevation and extra weight with rear cage, seat, etc.

Not too familiar with the drive system, belt and clutch, etc just worked cars and 2 stroke atv's in the past with chain drives.

Ill be pulling it apart soon enough and will get some first hand knowledge of how it works.

took a look at epi and notice their clutch kit that was pictured had a lot more parts than one I saw on speedwerx, that just looked like weights. Mostly just looking to help with the high elevation trail riding with consistent hill climbing. Do I need special tools to do a clutch kit?

Good pointer gary on the gearing, makes sense. I don't have a tach or speedo so I am a little unsure of what speed to use which gear. If I am doing mountain trail with consistent inclines, 4 passengers, and lower speed Ill be best staying in 2 low most of the time?

One other things other than the jetting I am looking into is swapping in a better seat or highback seat, what is a good way to go or should I stick with the stock lowback seat?
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 05:28 AM
Administrator

Changing the spring out on the secondary clutch requires a special tool, but EPI offers one. A lot of clutch kits do just offer clutch rollers. If I was doing it, I'd try lighter rollers. 650's came with 23 gram rollers (green), if I'm not mistaken. I'd try 21 gram (blue)rollers to start.
CLUTCH INFO

red rollers = 19 grams = 6000RPM AC # 0823-164
blue rollers = 21 grams = 5500RPM AC # 0823-167
green rollers = 23 grams = 5000RPM AC # 0823-170
white rollers = 25 grams - 4500RPM AC # 3402-483
grey rollers 28 grams - AC # 0823-295
black rollers 33 grams AC # 0823-298

17 gram roller - white - 02/375 - 03+400 - part number: 3402-366
19 gram roller - red - prowler 09+700 - part number: 0823-164
21 gram roller - blue - various H1 engines - part number: 0823-167
23 gram roller - green - Tcat engines - part number: 0823-170
25 gram roller - white - 06+ 500 - part number: 3402-482
25 gram roller - white - 00- 09 500 - part number: 3402-483
28 gram roller - gray - 10/650MP - 11+700mp - 12 WildCat - part number: 0823-295
33 gram roller - black - 10+ Tcat mudpro - part number: 0823-298

These RPM numbers associated with each set of weights is only a close guess. every machine will respond differently depending on altitude, tire size, and power adders. the more power you have, the heavier roller you can run for a faster upshift, and more RPMs. if i were you with that power you have, i would run the reds at the LEAST, and possibly even lighten up a set to get them even lighter. in the dunes to run ballz out, about 17-18 grams is where an H1 motor needs to be, and my stage 2 fixed plate work even helps the shiftout even more. it helps keep the rollers lower in the shiftout range, keeping you in a lower gear longer, but allowing you to build the RPMs you need for power, which allows the engine to rev into the power band, and not upshift too fast and bog the motor down.
Retired1 likes this.

Either - Dick or RD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement