Oil Vanishing - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Oil Vanishing

Well I'm a bit crushed!

Had a ATV/UTV camping trip in a couple weeks and the Prowler is blowing through oil. Topped it off Monday for a 4 hour ride and came back with no oil on the dipstick. It has no smell of burning oil and no blue smoke.

Any suggestions?

Or is it rebuild time?

Thanks in advance!

Martin

2011 Arctic Cat Prowler HDX700 (bought used)
3,200 mi 401 hours
King Shocks
SnowEx V-Plow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 08:27 PM
Lifetime Member

Garage
Seems to be too new new of a rig to need a rebuild, have you notice any loss of power or belt slipping? Some have had oil leaking into the clutch area.

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1962 View Post
Seems to be too new new of a rig to need a rebuild, have you notice any loss of power or belt slipping? Some have had oil leaking into the clutch area.

We bought the Prowler used with about 3,200mi on it last year. No idea on prior maintenance schedule. Only power loss I noticed was when the machine warmed up. Shut it off toward the end of the ride Monday and sat a while when the rest of the group played in a sand pit. Then when I started it back up it felt a bit peppier like it did in the beginning but then dropped off a tad shortly after when it warmed up again.

Been a frustrating week. Our 335 seized tonight when my daughter was out riding it. Had an oil leak and think it is toast. The Prowler is probably the final straw on our upcoming ATV/UTV and fishing camping trip in a couple weeks. Probably going to have to cancel the trip since were would be down to one machine.

Well that is if our other Sportsman is OK, left it outside this winter and chipmunks filled the Airbox with acorns and the Intake hose split so I need to cleanout the box and replace the throttle body hose. So basically all three machines have issues. Was really looking forward to this outing since about February.

Just crushed now.

Martin

3,200 mi 401 hours
King Shocks
SnowEx V-Plow

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 05:01 AM
Administrator

No blue smoke, so I agree with Mike on oil in the clutch cover. There is a drain plug on the bottom of the cover, so pull that and check for oil. You can also check the air out duct on your clutch for any signs of oil. My oil seal failed around 3,000 miles, they due take a beating! High Heat, High RPM, wonder they last as long as they do.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Whew so it may NOT be an issue with the engine directly! WOOT WOOT

I also don't have anything to do a compression test just to make sure but I may have to pick one up just to make sure!

So if it is the seal that failed in the clutch cover area, how complicated is replacing it?

Have a new belt so I can swap that also while I'm in there.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 12:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwShoot View Post

I also don't have anything to do a compression test just to make sure but I may have to pick one up just to make sure!

So if it is the seal that failed in the clutch cover area, how complicated is replacing it?

No that complicated. Ive been in there when I had a leak at my primery clutch. You need a quite solid impact wrench for the primery an secondary, and then the rest is torx size 20, if i remember right. Beware of some of the torx screws are different lengths. Use a rubber mallet to tap the covers. If I where you I would wait for fairmot to conferme this

Edit: if the leak is in the cover where the belt is, then you dont need to think of the impact wrench. That said, I also had a leak there, from the primary. To me it sounds strange if your belt isnt slippin if there is an oil leak in that area. Again, dont trist a guy from norway who writes bad english. Just my thoughts on this one...

650 xt 2008 SOLD
2018 Polaris Ranger 1000 XP

Last edited by Johan82; 06-02-2016 at 01:03 PM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 01:51 PM
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwShoot View Post

Did you find oil in the clutch area?

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1962 View Post
Did you find oil in the clutch area?

Just got home from work and have to first get a large file downloaded and burned to disk for a side job tomorrow working on a server.

Then I have to clean up some garage space to tear her down since our Sportsman is currently taking up the open stall. Parts for the 700 Sportsman arrive Tuesday, I hate Chipmunks! LOL

Then the Prowler followed by the 335 Sportsman.

I may need to replace the rack in my daughter's beetle before the Prowler though. LOL Yeah it has been one of those stats to the year. LOL

Martin

3,200 mi 401 hours
King Shocks
SnowEx V-Plow
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 04:32 AM
Administrator

If the seal is leaking, you will need to drain the oil, and pull both covers. The gaskets can be reused on the covers, so be careful taking them off. Keep the outer bolts separate from the inners as they are different in length. You will have to remove both the primary, and secondary clutches. I think on the HDX that the gas tank also has to be removed. I use a impact to remove mine. Be careful on the primary nut, I've found that they lose their grip after several uses even with lock-tite. New nuts are 4.00 dollars. Once you have the inner cover off, you will have to have the clutch housing pressed out, and same with the seal. There is also a O-ring that should be replaced. Check the spacer for wear, and replace if needed. Now you can make a decision on the one way bearing, you can remove it and reduce some driveline noise, or leave it in (I took mine out, and like it better!). I usually recommend taking the cover to a qualified dealer to have them replace the seal. I have a press in my shop so I'm able to do my own, but I'm lucky!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! That will be very helpfull!

Hope to get my daughter's rack and pinion replaced this weekend and not looking forward to this job!

Then I should be able to pull in the Prowler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement