Prowler 1000 rear axle strength. Anything beefier that can replace it? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Prowler 1000 rear axle strength. Anything beefier that can replace it?

So on my 2011 Prowler the rear diff exploded under load in 2x4. I dont think the rear axle is beefy enough for the power the engine has when pulling a load in 2x4. The 1000 CC engine in low range puts out way too much torque for that diff design. The side walls of the alloy case of the diff are super thin. Like 1/8 in. Anyone have any insight to a beefier diff to be using that is reasonable bolt in? I can weld if needed to add mounts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 08:28 AM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber View Post
So on my 2011 Prowler the rear diff exploded under load in 2x4. I dont think the rear axle is beefy enough for the power the engine has when pulling a load in 2x4. The 1000 CC engine in low range puts out way too much torque for that diff design. The side walls of the alloy case of the diff are super thin. Like 1/8 in. Anyone have any insight to a beefier diff to be using that is reasonable bolt in? I can weld if needed to add mounts.
WOW that's a new one on me , I have near 6k miles and many of them heavy load miles and pulling my off road trailer loaded to the gills on long outings .. several in the 500 mile plus excursion rides on wilderness terrain .

never heard of that happening sorry it got you ... you might give a call to some of the offload race teams and see what they have come up with again sorry none come to mind right now [teams] maybe some one will chime in with team names

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

I will post a pic of it broke in 2 and you will cringe at the thickness of the alloy diff case sidewall that has to hold the massing torque of this power-train. Put it in LOW and it multiples massively too. My 4x4 was intermittently dropping out come to find out as the switch is flaky. So thinking it was splitting the power to front was not the case and would drop out of 4x4. In any case, be careful throttling down with a loaded trailer in 4x4 low.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 09:00 AM
Loyal Member

thinking the switch and maybe the pin together ???

been down some eye popping grades and back up the other side pulling heavy ... yours and the other thread just re-posted are the first and now second ones I am aware of SORRY yours was a "test dummy" .. it will be fairly expensive I'm sure for the repairs.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

yea, ended up the 4x4 switch was not working and pulling a heavy load in low range allowed the 1000 torque to explode the rear diff. In any case, I looked at the diesel Polaris Ranger the maint guys have here at work today. They have a massive rear diff compared to the Prowler 1000. I will prob just get a complete new diff.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Here is a pic of my diff. came out in 2 complete separate pieces.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6222.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	39834  
de3 likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 05:33 AM
Administrator

Now that is a grenaded part!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 05:46 AM
Administrator

I kept thinking about this! Reminds me of a 4X4 F-250 that had a rear end explode! Turns out they had two different gear ratios in the front and rear. The rear end was a Ford 9 ", and I've always considered them to be tough! The pinion was spit out, and the case was split in two. A guy bought the truck with the front driveshaft in the bed, he installed it and decided to try 4 wheel drive! The rest is history! Never mix gear ratio's, or tire sizes!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 06:45 PM

Garage
I've seen that a couple times with pick-ups as well. Same cause. WOW that looks terrible. What a way to end a day. Something kinda similar happened to me last year, only the bubble gum weld to mount the rear diff pulled off while in 2x4 throwing the driveshaft and smashing everything. I feel your pain.

2012 Prowler HDX, 29"Big Horns, Commander UTV tracks, Curtis plow, 4000lb winch, Optima yellow top battery, Shark 1000 watt stereo, Sirius radio, LED lights, EBC Brakes, K&N filter, Outerwares prefilter, One way bearing delete & EPI clutch kit, EPI extreme duty belt
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber View Post
Okay, I gotta ask... How much weight were you pulling? Or trying to pull...

'13 HDX 700 - Warn 3000 lb winch, AC low windshield, AC full vented windshield, AC two piece roof, AC VCX rear panel, AC Quick Connect 72" Plow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement