Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

Issue with XTX

6K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Joes5091 
#1 ·
Hey, new here and was told bright minds resided here that may be able to answer a question. Here goes: I noticed that the prowler was backfiring, and found the exhaust pipe was loose from the cylinder. Tightened the two bolts with a 1/4" ratchet and one of the bolts stripped with very little pressure. Am out of warranty now so I plan to helicoil the cylinder myself.
My question is, how much material is under the threads before you get to the cylinder wall. I dont want to get too deep. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Welcome, Sorry I cant answer you question. Because I havent had mine apart yet.

#3 ·
Welcome SABORTOOTH! as for your question about the amount of material ...... im not sure . i would like to think there is quite a bit but idk.

i just wanted to really say DONT USE A HELICOIL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WORST INVENTION EVER !!!!!! LOL sorry i hate those things . there are nothing more than a temporary fix at best .

Chrislynn Inserts' Web Site

check out this sight . they have a steel machined locking insert . i have used this style on everything from headbolt repair on huge v12 CAT engines to stripped holes on harley exhaust ports ! install these little gems and you wont have to worry about the bolts stripping out again ! there are several makers of these inserts these are the first ones i found with good pics of the locking style . those are the best for high vibration and heat areas .

good luck ,
soazcat

#4 ·
Welcome SABORTOOTH! as for your question about the amount of material ...... im not sure . i would like to think there is quite a bit but idk.

i just wanted to really say DONT USE A HELICOIL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WORST INVENTION EVER !!!!!! LOL sorry i hate those things . there are nothing more than a temporary fix at best .

Chrislynn Inserts' Web Site

check out this sight . they have a steel machined locking insert . i have used this style on everything from headbolt repair on huge v12 CAT engines to stripped holes on harley exhaust ports ! install these little gems and you wont have to worry about the bolts stripping out again ! there are several makers of these inserts these are the first ones i found with good pics of the locking style . those are the best for high vibration and heat areas .

good luck ,
soazcat

Now you're talkin. I'm from the old school and have had my battles with heli's too, but was unaware of this fix. Will try. It's the drilling into the cyl. threads that have my concern, I'll have one chance not to fubar.

#8 ·
Welcome to the site

#10 ·
Do the XTX have two sets of exhaust holes in each head? I noticed my XTZ does.

#12 ·
I know that. I was wondering if there were extra holes in the head like mine. I thaught maybe they used this head on other models.

#18 ·
Sorry guys (Desertcat, SABORTOOTH) I'm not tryin to be a smart ass. I was just wondering. The XTZ is like that so the heads can be used front or rear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.