What are your thoughts on a 2009 Prowler 1000 - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

5Likes
  • 1 Post By Retired1
  • 1 Post By Retired1
  • 1 Post By de3
  • 2 Post By Fairmont79

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Red

What are your thoughts on a 2009 Prowler 1000

New to the side x side market but old hand with ATV. I have an opportunity to purchase a 2009 Prowler 1000 with 220 hours and 2300 miles for 1/3 of MSRP on a new one. Pictures Looks brand new. Owned by an older couple that have only used it to putter (his words) around their gated community. He is the original owner and has all service records. I think this was the first year for this engine and model upgrades Any known issues? Other then the usual stuff like frame & shock tower inspections, oil leaks, etc what should I be inspecting for issues?

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 11:44 AM

I have owned my 2009 XTZ since new and I would not sell mine that cheaply. My personal opinion is that $8,000 to $9,000 range is about where nice 2009 XTZs should be, but that is very subject to local markets. I would not use the wholesale blue book, black book, etc., prices for anything. They are not indicative of the real world value.

If it has truly been the seller's gated community transportation, there is not much to expect being wrong with it.

Normal wear items are the battery age (new batteries are readily and cheaply available from farm supply stores and the seats becoming unglued from their frames (new seats are easily found on eBay).

If the machine had been flogged off road, I would look at the tie rods also, but light duty use would not hurt them. Look at the rear receiver hitch and see if it has been overloaded and is bent down. It would be nice if it has had regular oil changes.

Being used in a gated community may have worn the tires down kind of flat across. Discount Tires is a member on this forum. He can supply new tires in a variety of patterns at great prices.

Early 2009s had a water pump recall issue. I would think that would have been done or not needed. If no radical engine modifications have been done, the motor should be near bullet proof.

The body colors seem to hold their appearance very well and usually look great even if stored outdoors. I like the square tube ROPS better than the newer round tube, but that is a matter of personal preference.

If the rear roll bar has bars that go down into the rear corners of the bed and there is a spare tire mounted in the bed, it is a rare "Baja" model. The Baja beds are not dumpable (is that a word?) and are bolted to prevent trying to dump them. Again, its a matter of preference, but I would expect the Baja models to command a slightly higher price.

These are just my thoughts. There are other folks here that have more miles/hours on their machines than I have, have more experience, and will have better knowledge about wear on mechanical items and current prices.

Where are you located?
de3 likes this.

Terry
2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 Baja - ITP beadlock wheels, ITP Baja Cross X/D tires, 2" wheel spacers, harness bar, 5 point harnesses, custom doors, 4 Vision X LED lights, 2 PIAA lights, RAM mounts on roll bar and dash, military truck mirrors, polished aluminum rear frame brace, inside tube rear frame stiffeners, Mossy Oak camo pattern seats, custom front brush guard, parking brake 'on' alarm, Throttlemaxx controller, Uni pre-filter, and Mobil 1 4T M/C 10W-40 racing oil with K&N filter.

Last edited by Retired1; 07-09-2016 at 11:55 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 12:07 PM

This is a photo of a 2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 Baja showing the extra bars and bed mounted spare wheel/tire found on the Baja model only:

de3 likes this.

Terry
2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 Baja - ITP beadlock wheels, ITP Baja Cross X/D tires, 2" wheel spacers, harness bar, 5 point harnesses, custom doors, 4 Vision X LED lights, 2 PIAA lights, RAM mounts on roll bar and dash, military truck mirrors, polished aluminum rear frame brace, inside tube rear frame stiffeners, Mossy Oak camo pattern seats, custom front brush guard, parking brake 'on' alarm, Throttlemaxx controller, Uni pre-filter, and Mobil 1 4T M/C 10W-40 racing oil with K&N filter.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Red

It is not the Baja version. I'm in Alpine, AZ (mountains northeast between Tucson and Pheonix). I have only seen pictures will be heading to Scottsdale to look at early next week. It has street tires on today that look at least 50% remaining. He has another set of rims with mud tires that he said has never been used. Feels like a good deal and would work well for the wife and I to trail ride.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 12:52 PM

I hope it works out for you. I am very happy with my 2009. I think it is as good as a 2016 model.

Terry
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Red

Thanks. Been looking for a while and most want too much for a used model or they have issues. I'll post pictures if it works out. Have always had Polaris ATV so this will be new for me. Glad I found this forum. Sounds like you have an active community.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 04:07 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Red if its only been used in a gated community it could not be hurt what so ever,there is only so much you can do in a gated community,,as far as the 2009 which was the first year for the xtz 1000 some of the members that was active on here years ago had water pump and bevel gears/ transmission problems,A/C Did warrenty several motors with updated parts.....from what I read was that most of the 1000's was abused and used for what they were not intended for,when the 2009's come out most buyers used them for full sport race machines,they were not designed for that......not to be nosey but what price did they throw at you,not sure what they cost new,but i'm sure it was around 13 to 14 thousand.........to me it sounds like you are getting a machine that is still in great shape........GTroyer is a member on here and I think he has over 5,000 miles on his....cant wait to see pictures......I bought a 2006 650 new,and I wish the 1000 was available then....and yes 2009 was the first year for the 1000 in a Prowler
Retired1 likes this.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Welcome Red! Great place to be! Prowlers are pretty stout! The 1000 motor has changed little throughout the years. No major issues other than the water pump recall. 1000 owners seem to keep their machines forever! I like the early model Prowlers better, but that is my taste!
Retired1 and de3 like this.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement