HELP! Starting and running issues - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

HELP! Starting and running issues

I have a 2009 Prowler 700 xtx and until this point it has been a great machine with only minor issues. Recently my prowler was slow to start. It cranked and cranked until it finally started. Once it ran for a few moments, I turned it off and it started back fine. So I left off on a ride and seemed to be doing fine and it randomly bogged down and shut off. I could crank it and it wouldn't start back! I pulled the fuel relay under the seat and put it back it and it started back up and i luckily got it home. Before this little incident I had recently replaced the battery because it showed the "volt" message on the LCD pod. After that I had to take the relay from the neutral safety switch out and put it in place of the ignition relay because it had gone bad. (It wouldn't start when I turned they key over and when it did start as I pushed the brake pedal it would die. It also drained the battery when i put it back in the neutral relay spot so i know the relay was bad.) If any has any idea what is causing this problem please chime in. Could it just simply be the relay or maybe another weak battery? The battery shows 12v on my multimeter and shows 14.5 or so when running so I'm assuming it has nothing to do with the charging system. Also, when i push the brake pedal you can here and feel a clicking from the fuse panel under the seat if you have the seat removed and place your hand on the relays. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 04:25 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum! Always glad to help new members! These things are really voltage sensitive, was that a new battery you put in? The relay that clicks when you hit the brake pedal should be on the start circuit, so it should not effect running. How many miles on your Prowler? 12 volts on your meter does not really tell the condition of your battery. Take a reading with the engine cranking to see what it is (10.5 volts minimum), or have a load test done. The 14.5 reading is good news, means your stator is performing as designed! I have the same machine, and it has been great!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 11:35 AM

Does it act flooded? Just wondering about the air temp sensor. May be faulty and asking for more fuel... Just a thought from my old car wrenching days...

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and hardtop.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info fairmont. I will take it out and have autozone do a load test on it. It does seem to be flooding Bryan. From what I have gathered these things are very voltage sensitive so I'm betting on my battery being bad even though it starts it fine most of the time. I will let you all know how that goes. Thanks
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Just now had the time to work in it. Had my batter tested and it showed 12.3v and put a charge on it and it showed 12.8v
Sponsored Links
Advertisement