Clutch belt or both? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Clutch belt or both?

I'm thinking my rollers and belt may be going bad. Belt squeals on take off and lot's of seat vibration. Been getting worse each ride. Only 2700 miles. Anyone had this or a similar issue? I think I have rollers from a 700 for the track kit that may or may not work. If I'm in there I want to install a new belt for sure. Any help or pointers would be appreciated....TIA
2010 XTZ 1000

2010 XTZ 1000..... HCR Suspension, 6" lift, King Racing Series Shocks, Summer's Brothers Racing Axles, Beard Seats, Tiger Tracks, A/C Hinged Windshield, Custom Light Bar by Butch, Custom 1/2 Doors by Butch. What's next ???
My friends call me Butch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 08:56 AM
Loyal Member

a lot of low speed or high torque at load speed will prematurely wear the belt .. if going slow for a long suggest using low gear
that may not be your issue but worth the heads up anyway.

rollers don't usually wear quickly unless there is another issue might just be the belt .. how much dust you been riding in this summer ?

just fyi's .... my belt came out at 5000+ miles and is now a spare as it really didn't need to come out yet but was doing PM servicing and decided what the hell while in there bla bla bla
catman2 likes this.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Welcome back Butch! I'd suspect the belt due to the squealing. Rollers may be flat spotted, but they will slide instead of rolling. I'd go with either a factory belt, or the EPI extreme duty, I've had great luck with both!
catman2 likes this.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 09:03 AM
Lifetime Member

Garage
What do you think, while he's that far in should he get rid of the one-way bearing? I haven't done that to mine yet.

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome back! Got a job back in February that took up waaaaay to much of my time. Got rid of that SOB!
We ride a lot of dust! This problem has been going on for a while and getting worse. Almost like a chatter and huge vibration in the seats. Now in the steering to!!! I can feel it through the entire machine, like I'm on a washboard. Was thinking U-joint on the drive shafts but unlikely.

2010 XTZ 1000..... HCR Suspension, 6" lift, King Racing Series Shocks, Summer's Brothers Racing Axles, Beard Seats, Tiger Tracks, A/C Hinged Windshield, Custom Light Bar by Butch, Custom 1/2 Doors by Butch. What's next ???
My friends call me Butch
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

FYI ...........The belt squeal does go away in low range!

My friends call me Butch
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1962 View Post
What do you think, while he's that far in should he get rid of the one-way bearing? I haven't done that to mine yet.
One-way bearing?

My friends call me Butch
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 10:21 AM
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman2 View Post
One-way bearing?
It's for engine braking. Someone on here might be able to give you more details but if I remember right Arctic Cat put out a notice saying the one-way bearing could fail in rigs that do a lot of plowing, pulling heavy loads, and use tracks.

This calls it the one-way clutch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	41290  

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 05:38 AM
Administrator

AC issued a notice regarding the oneway bearing, and when it should be removed. Pulling heavy loads, plowing, and any other use that loads the machine. You lose engine braking below 10 miles an hour, but other than that it is good to go! Less noise on the driveline! If you are replacing the belt, removing the inner cover is not that hard to do, and the oneway justs sits on the clutch hub.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont79 View Post
AC issued a notice regarding the oneway bearing, and when it should be removed. Pulling heavy loads, plowing, and any other use that loads the machine. You lose engine braking below 10 miles an hour, but other than that it is good to go! Less noise on the driveline! If you are replacing the belt, removing the inner cover is not that hard to do, and the oneway justs sits on the clutch hub.
Or I bet running tracks would fall into the removal category. Hope to get time to check her out this afternoon! Thanks to all for the information!

My friends call me Butch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement