Found broken gear teeth in crankcase - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By GTroyer
  • 1 Post By Fairmont79

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Found broken gear teeth in crankcase

Hello All, just joined this site and I've also posted this problem in arcticchat.com. 2009 XTX 700 EFI, about 198 hrs and 1150 miles. Had it out last weekend and after climbing a pretty steep slope started hearing a grinding sound, like what you'd hear when you're grinding it into gear. Only heard it when stopping and in gear (L/H/R). Had to come down the trail about 4K vertical feet and heard it all the way down, then when I got on flat ground started hearing a loud whining noise as well. I stuck a magnet into the crankcase and pulled out what appear to be broken gear teeth from somewhere. Pulled both right and left cases and everything seems to be in order, except that two of the small "bearings" on the one way drive were missing. I know I'll have to pull the motor out and apart now since I've found these gear teeth, but question is could those one way "bearings" dislodge from the inside and somehow make their way into the crankcase? I noticed that my engine braking was sporadic right before this happened, it would work for a while just fine and then would stop until I slowed down and it would work again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 05:39 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum! Great site BTW! I would think they would stay contained in the clutch housing until you pulled the inner cover. Oneway bearings will display the symptoms you described. They is a oil return hole in the inner clutch cover. The oneway bearing can be removed, and your machine will work just fine! Arctic Cat issued a notice to remove the bearing if you are pulling heavy loads, or plowing.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Fairmont 79. I've been reading a lot of posts both here and on arcticchat, and it seems most people are losing that one way bearing altogether just like you've suggested. Still have the broken gear teeth issue to sort out unfortunately, motor is ready to come out now. Guess I'll learn soon enough whether the bearing failure contributed to the bigger issue. Whatever I find I'll be sure to post my experience here in hopes of helping others who may experience the same issues. And yes, this is a great site with lots of good info and people like you willing to share knowledge. Chances are it's happened to someone else before.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 12:01 PM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlambrecht View Post
Thanks Fairmont 79. I've been reading a lot of posts both here and on arcticchat, and it seems most people are losing that one way bearing altogether just like you've suggested. Still have the broken gear teeth issue to sort out unfortunately, motor is ready to come out now. Guess I'll learn soon enough whether the bearing failure contributed to the bigger issue. Whatever I find I'll be sure to post my experience here in hopes of helping others who may experience the same issues. And yes, this is a great site with lots of good info and people like you willing to share knowledge. Chances are it's happened to someone else before.

bevel gear ?
jtlambrecht likes this.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 03:54 PM
Administrator

I have the same machine with over 9,500 miles on it. I'm almost thinking of tearing it down this winter! Finally ordered the crankshaft for it! I want to put both engines on the bench as I rebuild one! Visual reference for old fart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
jtlambrecht likes this.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
You got it, I'll have plenty of pics so I know how it all goes back together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement