Clutch issue? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Clutch issue?

i love this ride but i am having alot of issues in mud. it runs down the road and trails just file. hills... no problem. but when i have to cross a mud hole im SOL even if i start off in low.
i will start by saying this thing is bone stock except the cab. the only mod i have done is running a snorkel to the front of the unit so i dont have to change air filters every 100 to 200 miles. even the tires are stock. i found a guy selling a set of brand new take offs for 150 bucks. couldnt pass that up. when i bought it, she had 1200 miles on it. the previous owner blew it up and traded it to the dealer for a new one. the dealer put a new motor into it and thats where my story starts. i did have problems when i got it... alot! from electrical to clutch.
to describe the clutch problem is pretty simple. when they put the motor in, they didnt tighten something and it came loose inside the cover and bounced around breaking fins and really marring up the sheaves. they were great about it and put a new clutch in under warranty. i have had the problem ever since i got the machine. i didnt find mud with the old clutch so i dont know if it existed then. the machine now has 5 miles shy of 6,000 and its on the same belt. i was told they replaced the belt after the clutch issue.
what can be done to fix this issue? i can stand on it in high gear on pavement and cannot replicate the issue... only in the mud.
since threads are junk without pics... here she is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hdx.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	41457  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 02:34 AM

What is it doing in the mud ? I have not been able to figure out your problem from the description given .
catman2 likes this.

Tim

2010 A/C XTZ with some "Stuff" SOLD
But still here everyday to contribute to the cause
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 06:59 AM
Lifetime Member

Garage
When it's in the mud are you hearing any strange noise or is it just bogging down, how deep of mud are you going through?

Quote:
when they put the motor in, they didn't tighten something and it came loose inside the cover and bounced around breaking fins and really marring up the sheaves. they were great about it and put a new clutch in under warranty.
This statement makes me wonder if they really put in a new engine, a new engine is complete with the clutch assembly, they shouldn't have to touch the clutch during installation. If the clutch did come loose it was an issue from the factory and nothing they did, still it's good they fixed it under warranty.

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 07:14 AM
Administrator

The stock tires in mud are not the best, and may be your problem. Mine was at best so so in mud until I upgraded to BigHorns. I left one of my inner cover bolts loose once, and it sure made a mess of things!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
when i get into the mud i can go about 5 to 10 feet then the belt starts barking and slipping. the tires dont spin out at all. if i try it in high gear the barking starts about 2 feet into it. i have a chance in low but i got to hit it flying. the mud around here is more of a clay mix. very thick sticky stuff. i know water getting into it isnt the issue. i have checked that out.

this mud i hit is never above the floor.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 08:15 AM
Lifetime Member

Garage
I've heard that barking before, sounds like your belt is slipping and that will leave marks on the clutch plates adding to the problem each time it slips. I'm sure someone else will chime in but I think you need a new belt, use a scotch brite pad to clean the clutch plates, and you might consider changing the rollers while you're in there to give you a little more low end to power through the thick crud.

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 09:15 AM

My HDX belt slips in the mud too.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 07:02 PM

Garage
Mine seems to be ok in mud, but the mud up here is very sandy and not too much clay.

2012 Prowler HDX, 29"Big Horns, Commander UTV tracks, Curtis plow, 4000lb winch, Optima yellow top battery, Shark 1000 watt stereo, Sirius radio, LED lights, EBC Brakes, K&N filter, Outerwares prefilter, One way bearing delete & EPI clutch kit, EPI extreme duty belt
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 07:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1962 View Post
I've heard that barking before, sounds like your belt is slipping and that will leave marks on the clutch plates adding to the problem each time it slips. I'm sure someone else will chime in but I think you need a new belt, use a scotch brite pad to clean the clutch plates, and you might consider changing the rollers while you're in there to give you a little more low end to power through the thick crud.
would brake cleaner be safe to use with the scotch pad? or would it be better to just elbow it out?

2012 Prowler HDX, 29"Big Horns, Commander UTV tracks, Curtis plow, 4000lb winch, Optima yellow top battery, Shark 1000 watt stereo, Sirius radio, LED lights, EBC Brakes, K&N filter, Outerwares prefilter, One way bearing delete & EPI clutch kit, EPI extreme duty belt
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 07:59 PM

my HDX slips a little in mud but will still climb out of some pretty nasty places. I don't like it but really hasn't caused problems yet.It did slip a little right from new and I now have 2000 miles on it.

2014 grizzly 700eps
2010 renegade snowmachine
98 big bear
2013 hdx prowler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement