Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

HDX issues- clutches??

14K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  thumbqdm 
#1 ·
Hello,
I've got a 2014 HDX 700 efi 4x4 w/ eps. Wont start in park, it will start in N but its not running right , it will idle just fine but when I give it some gas it has a hesitation like maybe its trying to flood out. When shifting from N to drive or reverse it will die and lurch a little.

Some backround info:
I bought the machine new in 12/14
Used for work in the mountains of sw PA while I was doing some survey work there
The right of way we used were mostly mud, snow and ice
The factory tires weren't cutting it so I put a set of 28" itp mega mayhems on it
I used it like that for 2 months every day, when the job was finished i put the stock tires back on
I put about 500 miles on it while working
Machine has 900 miles on it now
It went from running and starting perfect to what its doing now
Some are telling me its prolly the belt and or the clutches because of the larger tires
TIA for any help, Steve.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the site! 900 miles seems pretty low to be having problems, I have an older rig but with over 8,000 miles on it. How does it run at higher speeds once you get it going?
When shifting from N to drive or reverse it will die and lurch a little.
This part makes me wonder about the idle being too high or another problem with the clutch. The idle rpm on mine is suppose to be between 1250-1350 rpm, any faster and I'll have the lurching. Yours is a lot newer than mine hopefully someone here with a HDX will be able to help.

If you don't have one already you can download a free pdf repair manual here:
Technical Information - Prowler - Prowler Service Manuals 2006-2014 models

#3 ·
Thanks, I got it apart today and the one way bearing is shot ( fell apart taking the cover off) belt looks good, the spring on the secondary looks good, and wet clutch looks good, the rollers in the primary look like they have some wear, id like to replace the basic parts, is there a vendor on here that offers parts for my model? Also ive taken lots of pics but not sure on how to post them, Steve.

#4 ·
I haven't seen it but Arctic Cat put out a notice about the one-way bearing that said if you do a lot of heavy load pulling or plowing to remove it. I think you need to have 15 post before you can post pics. As for Vendors you might compare prices from Country Cat and GearHead I've ordered from both, there's more out there, some with free shipping, some without but prices can vary.

#5 ·
Welcome Steve! Great machine the HDX! One Way Bearing will cause the problem you encountered! Arctic Cat issued an advisory regarding the one way bearing. If you use the machine for plowing, or other heavy loading (Bigger Tires!), it is advised that you remove the bearing. I've had mine removed for close to two years, and actually like it better! As far as clutch rollers, I'd weigh the ones you took out, and reduce the roller weight by 2 grams if you want to run the bigger tires! I've found that I can buy the stock rollers per set for about 1/2 the amount the after market charges. They all last about the same! Not sure where you are located, but Babbitts, and other dealers sell factory parts. Babbitts offers a good discount to all. Their web site allows looking up parts for all models! I think you need 10-15 posts before you can post pictures. Directions on posting pictures are in the frequently asked questions section on the site.

#8 ·
Welcome to the site! Clutch rollers are a great cheap investment! One Way Bearing is not needed! Clutch Rollers will develop flat spots with use. Usually driving the machine at one constant speed, it is better to very your speed, allows the roller to rotate.
CLUTCH INFO

red rollers = 19 grams = 6000RPM AC # 0823-164
blue rollers = 21 grams = 5500RPM AC # 0823-167
green rollers = 23 grams = 5000RPM AC # 0823-170
white rollers = 25 grams - 4500RPM AC # 3402-483
grey rollers – 28 grams - AC # 0823-295
black rollers – 33 grams AC # 0823-298

17 gram roller - white - 02/375 - 03+400 - part number: 3402-366
19 gram roller - red - prowler 09+700 - part number: 0823-164
21 gram roller - blue - various H1 engines - part number: 0823-167
23 gram roller - green - Tcat engines - part number: 0823-170
25 gram roller - white - 06+ 500 - part number: 3402-482
25 gram roller - white - 00- 09 500 - part number: 3402-483
28 gram roller - gray - 10/650MP - 11+700mp - 12 WildCat - part number: 0823-295
33 gram roller - black - 10+ Tcat mudpro - part number: 0823-298

These RPM numbers associated with each set of weights is only a close guess. every machine will respond differently depending on altitude, tire size, and power adders. the more power you have, the heavier roller you can run for a faster upshift, and more RPMs. if i were you with that power you have, i would run the reds at the LEAST, and possibly even lighten up a set to get them even lighter. in the dunes to run ballz out, about 17-18 grams is where an H1 motor needs to be, and my stage 2 fixed plate work even helps the shiftout even more. it helps keep the rollers lower in the shiftout range, keeping you in a lower gear longer, but allowing you to build the RPMs you need for power, which allows the engine to rev into the power band, and not upshift too fast and bog the motor down.

#9 ·
Welcome to the site!
those one way bearings are a nightmare. i havent heard much good about them and i still have mine in my HDX with just under 9k miles on it, and i dont baby it what so ever. it works as hard as it plays. i wouldnt put a new one way back in it if i were you. once i go in to change my belt, my one way is coming out.

#10 ·
I buy a lot of Prowler stuff, I have 3, or 4 one ways on my parts shelf! Good place for them!

#11 ·
I realize this is an old thread and this may not be seen, but here goes.

My 2016 HDX 700 is behaving exactly like Salprofish's. I use my machine around the farm. I was pushing a loaded hay wagon into the barn, in 4x4 and low range. It started making a hellish noise from the area of the belt cover. I disconnected the wagon, got it started in neutral, and once put into reverse it took off at idle speed. I ran it backwards and got it out of the way. Here is what I've done so far.

I rebuild the wet clutch with new shoes and springs. The drum looked okay, as did the belt and secondary clutches. The one-way bearing looked ok and was reinstalled "correctly". It's all back together and it is behaving erratically. Some times it starts in park and when shifted to reverse or drive it continues idling until I apply gas, then all is good. Other times I can only start in neutral and as soon as I go to reverse or drive it jumps into motion. At those times there is also a nasty noise coming from the belt cover.

Now I see this new info (to me) that the one-way bearing can be removed, for good! Do the experts here recommend I go back in and remove the one-way bearing? Are there any other thoughts on what I should do when I get into the engine?

Thanks in advance for letting me into the group and for any advice you can provide to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.