Whats a good GPS - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2010, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Whats a good GPS

I want to mount a gps on the dash of my XTZ.What do you sugest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Jounior Member

I ordered a Lowrance HDS5 Baja. I have yet to see it though. Issue with the shipping. It looks like it will fit nicely. Might have to make up a billet plate or something. As soon as I get it figured out I'll post up some pics. Prowlers been in the shop 3 weeks for LT that should have taken 3 days

Last edited by RvRat; 05-20-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

those look real nice.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Lifetime Member

I have a Lowarance Global Map Baja 540c in my Rhino and I really like it.

There is a different version that will hold songs like an ipod, Its a Lowarance GPS unit but it holds like 1000 songs so you can plug it into an amp or radio headset system and you have your sound system also. Jim at Prestige has one, you can call Mike and ask or I will find out and get the info to ya.

btw the Lowarance system also has a volt meter on it, pretty cool I thought

http://utvweekly.com/index.php/2009/11/ricks-arctic-cat-prowler-1000/
Old 05-20-2010, 11:14 PM
Loyal Member

I have the Lowrance HDS-5 Baja. It's ok but there are some major limitations with it's use. I will try to condense my frustrations and information as much as I can. I have spent many hours on hold waiting for Lowrance to give me a good reason as to why these problems exist and the answers I get are not what I wanted to hear. One of the problems with Lowrance is they don't care much about their off road unit nearly as much as the marine/ fishing units especially since the economy tanked.

THE BAD
So here is a list of issues. I went through all the phone calls and research so let me save you some time. First of all if you order one online from a Marine supply house they will tell you they have them and then once you order it it will be show back ordered over and over again. Their websites lie and once you complain they update the arrival date and it's usually a few months away. Due yourself a favor and find a local off road shop that stocks them and pay a few dollars more and you will be happy. You will also be supporting the local little guy and the customer service is much better then a telephone. Here are the limitations. The only way to load maps is via the pre- loaded SD cards called Freedom Maps which only cover a few states per card and cost a lot. The other method is map create 7 but get this Lowrance stopped manufacturing this DVD so you have to find one that is left over somewhere and good luck with that. I have a friend that owns a boat shop in Arizona that has been dealing with Lowrance for many years and he called his buddy that works in the office there and he found a dusty box with a few map create 7's in it. I lucked out. Send me a message if you can't find one and I will pass along my friends info. Without Mapcreate it's almost worthless. The main reason I am mad about buying the HDS-5 is that you have to use the Lowrance card reader that comes with the software to load the maps to the SD card and it's the same unit they supplied in the late 80's. It can only read up to a 2 GB SD card and you are limited to making 5 SD cards as part of the copy write protection. This means that you have to pick the States you need the most and leave out some detail or buy the software twice to cover the full USA with detail. The card reader will not read any of the newer 30mb/s SD cards either which makes me mad because the HDS-5 is the latest and greatest and is capable of reading a 32GB high speed 30mb/s SD cards. What good does it do when you can only use an old slow 2GB Sd card? The last thing I will tell you is that you will most likely need the external antenna which will run you another $300.00 to make it work. Not many people are aware of this but they make two versions of the antenna they are are the LGC-4000 and the LGC-4000 "Baja". This is important because the Baja version is made with better wire and connectors as well as sealed for dirt and dust. It will be very hard to find the Baja version but let me know if you need it and I have a friend that can try and get one direct from Lowrance.

THE GOOD

If you have the external antenna you will enjoy some very nice maps that covers most of the trails out there. The display is very bright and easy to read. If Lowrance or another map company ever decides to make software maps for the unit it will be even better. Maybe they will make a new card reader some day and delete the restriction on the 5 cards per software registered. And the number one reason to get the HDS-5 Baja is because it looks bad ass and makes people trust your ability to navigate the trails.

Here are a few pictures of mine with out the external antenna.
* The HDS-5 didn't work much at all until I added the antenna.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0545.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1147   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0546.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1148   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0551.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1149  

Last edited by flying121; 05-21-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvRat View Post
I ordered a Lowrance HDS5 Baja. I have yet to see it though. Issue with the shipping. It looks like it will fit nicely. Might have to make up a billet plate or something. As soon as I get it figured out I'll post up some pics. Prowlers been in the shop 3 weeks for LT that should have taken 3 days
Did you order it from a Marine supply house?
Old 05-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Loyal Member

If I could go back I would try and find the best Garmin unit on the market maybe a Zumo made for motorcycles and throw topo maps on it. The other option is the Garmin Nuvi 500 which I use on my dirt bikes and they come pre loaded with topo maps. The 500 is water proof and can take a beating as well. Not as large a display but would most likely cover 90% of the trails in the country. Costco had a deal on these for $199.99 a while back. One of the nicest features with this unit is that it has a rechargeable battery so it's virtually wireless unless you want to plug the charge adapter into your cigaret lighter socket. With the Lowrance you will have lot's of wiring and power cables to run. When they came out they were $500.00. Now that I custom mounted my HDs-5 and have the external antenna I am sort of happy.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:15 AM
Jounior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying121 View Post
Did you order it from a Marine supply house?
Coolebuys.com or something like that. We'll see.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:22 AM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvRat View Post
Coolebuys.com or something like that. We'll see.
I originally ordered mine from interceptmarine.com. for $439.00 The guy that owns the company is a great guy but he never got them in and the website showed shipping in a few day and it took months so I cancelled and paid a few bucks more from Fodrills Motorsports in Arizona. They stock them all of the time.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:28 AM
Loyal Member

I'm using a Garman Oregon 400T .. it's new to me and my first GPS but so far it a very nice unit .. got it at Cabela's on a in house sale day and saved $100 ... and then applied some points [free $$ from Cabela's visa use] ended up costing me mid $200 don't remember exactly.
has lots of options online for it also.

BTW it's hand held and very portable, a real nice size for hunting use my main use.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement