sucked up a boat load of dust - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

sucked up a boat load of dust

put on 200 miles of extremely dusty conditions this weekend. first time ever ran in this much dust.
anyway my air filter must of plugged up and it started to suck air through the seal on the airbox. needless to say there is a heavy layer of dust all the way to the carb.
how much damage did this do?
i figure drop the oil, fill and run for a little while and drain again.

what do you guys do to prevent this
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 10:07 PM
Jounior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIZZLYADAMS73 View Post
put on 200 miles of extremely dusty conditions this weekend. first time ever ran in this much dust.
anyway my air filter must of plugged up and it started to suck air through the seal on the airbox. needless to say there is a heavy layer of dust all the way to the carb.

thanks
I was scared of this when i first seen where it sucked it's air from. That is the main reasion that snorkeled my prowler on the second day i owned it i've driven as many as 500 miles without cleaning the filter and still not very dirty .
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 08:11 AM
Jounior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIZZLYADAMS73 View Post

thanks
Got to thinkin about your dirt in your carb i don't think changing the oil will do much for you .you sucked dirt right into the cylender and have likley scored the walls and damaged the rings . I'm not sure how mechanicaly talented you are but if it was mine i would take the head off and do an inspection of the damage you have done (if any) and clean up the best could with brake clean and an air line (trying to remove any grit off the ring area ) and if no damage was evident put a new head gasket in and run it

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 08:28 AM
Loyal Member

I would go ahead and change the oil a time or two with low miles between and do a complete clean up , as to the cylinder/ring .. damage it's done now .. run it and watch the oil usage it might not smoke now but probably will ,do to scoring ... when it gets to a point that your using a bunch of oil then go in and fix the damaged part[s] with a top kit [piston , ring, cylinder and wrist pin ] and check the lower end also while your in there as there might be some rod/crank issues also. just one mans opinion

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Jounior Member

Change you oil a couple of times in short periods. For some reason, possibly due to the crankcase breather, when these engines suck dust it can get into the crankcase and cause your rod bearing to go out. I didn't know this until last week when a customer brought in their 700 because it wasn't running. Rod completely froze up. The air cleaner was cleaned by himself and he didn't reoil it and that caused the engine to suck dirt. I didn't think this would cause the rod problem, but I talked to cat and they said everytime this problem has happened it is because of the engine ingesting dirt. After the crankcase was seperated, sure enough there was dirt in the bottom of the crankcase.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Jounior Member

Has anyone made a UMP filter work on the prowler?

2009 Orange XTZ
Prestige Motorsports 4 seat cage, tie rods. UtvInc skids, half doors. 1.5in wheel spacers.

http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/ar...html#post37739
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

well don't think this motor will get its normal life expectancy. drained the oil, it was really dark and you could feel a little grit. oil filter was a thick sludge.
guess i'll run it until she starts to really burn oil or loose compression.

we"ll have to have my buddy find a smashed up bike with a good motor.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 08:19 AM

I have a 2007 prowler in my shop now with a bad crank, head, cylinder, bearings, oil pump drive gear looks and feels bad. If you take this thing down you need to look at the oil pump drive gear this is the second one I have seen. The first one did not have any teeth on it and it took out the top end because of no oil being pumped up top. Any way on this prowler we went with a new motor. Last time I priced a 650 motor it was like 5500 now they are 2300 to 2400. It was a no brainer to go with a new motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement