Feels like driving with the brake on - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Feels like driving with the brake on

Well put on 80mi yesterday and today for the final miles to break-in the Prowler.

Didn't notice much on the first 20 mi run a week ago but the last 2 days just felt like I was driving with the break on.

Came across 2 ladies on horses and shut her down yesterday. They asked if I was having fun and I had to tell then No way due to sliding around more then I should. LOL

At one point going down the wide Corridor up here she just twitched and ended up sliding sideways in the snow for 10 feet. I just held the break pedal since that was keeping it from moving towards the trees.

All in all, couldn't get much over 27mph and she would start swaying all over in the tire ruts and what-not. Most the ride was done at probably 25mph tops due to the Prowlers uncontrollable nature. Today I went south of town which was more wet sand and some much and felt like I was dragging someone on a heavy sled.

Sure hope something else hasn't failed.

Will look at the front end when I have it up to re-install the plow.

Slightly hoping this is normal though! LOL

*Notes*
Alignment completed last weekend with 1/8" toe in, 1/2 windshield, and soft roof.

Martin

2011 Arctic Cat Prowler HDX700 (bought used)
3,200 mi 401 hours
King Shocks
SnowEx V-Plow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 02:43 PM
Administrator

They can be a handful in deep snow!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 03:09 PM
Lifetime Member

Garage
Mine felt uncontrollable with toe out on snow and loose gravel, especially with the plow on, toe in made it handle great.

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 03:11 PM

Wow, sounds like she is really squirrelly! Did the brakes smell hot or anything? Check your steering gear mounts, maybe. Mine were so loose the steering shaft jumped an inch. And it was squirrelly too. Finally fixed it by putting some round stock under the gears mount and wrapping it with 2 band clamps. It will not move, now!

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and hardtop.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

My steering has a little bit of play but most of it felt like the rear kept wanting to come around. LOL And yes, I had it in 4wd, other wise the rear would spin too much. LOL

Was going to put it up in the air and check the front end but the shop over tightened my oil filter and I broke 2 oil filter wrenches. I'm so done with that machine today!

Martin

3,200 mi 401 hours
King Shocks
SnowEx V-Plow
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 06:22 PM
Loyal Member

Martin .. no flame intended here

what is your riding experience level / normal ride area's ?? do you see sand often ?

sand will suck up a ton of power and is tuff to ride in/on {if you don't know sorry again if you do] ... it will pull a ton of power out of it and cause the exact driving experience you describe ... ya have to go fast to get on top of it [that helps no cure though] and if you lower way down your tire pressure it will help flotation a bunch but a pain if it's short sections of sand then other pack so you have to find a happy medium on tire pressure. in sand 4x4 is almost demanded [not locked in but in 4x4]

also any play in joints or axles will be heavily magnified in ride / handling

I'm not trying to sound like a know it all because surely I do not just throwing that out there if it helps

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 04:47 AM
Administrator

You nailed it Gary!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTroyer View Post
Martin .. no flame intended here

what is your riding experience level / normal ride area's ?? do you see sand often ?

sand will suck up a ton of power and is tuff to ride in/on {if you don't know sorry again if you do] ... it will pull a ton of power out of it and cause the exact driving experience you describe ... ya have to go fast to get on top of it [that helps no cure though] and if you lower way down your tire pressure it will help flotation a bunch but a pain if it's short sections of sand then other pack so you have to find a happy medium on tire pressure. in sand 4x4 is almost demanded [not locked in but in 4x4]

also any play in joints or axles will be heavily magnified in ride / handling

I'm not trying to sound like a know it all because surely I do not just throwing that out there if it helps
No Flame taken!

Been riding since probably 2000 when we picked up our first ATV. Just seemed like there was more drag then the ATVs ever showed. Was thinking the Added weight and wider track vs the ATV paths were adding to the "Feeling" of this larger rig.

At this time with the way things have gone with the Prowler, I usually focus more on "OK what broke now" since it seems the last 2 owners never maintained it. LOL

Hurt my arm overdoing it hauling logs from trees I cut down in December, and re-hurt that arm trying to get the oil filter off yesterday so I was extremely frustrated!

Also didn't help since I was staying away from full throttle for the break-in period. Looking forward to opening it up this summer since Monday was the last time it will see trails till the plow is removed and summer springs are swapped back in.

Also waiting to hear back from SnowEx since they updated the UTV V-Plow documentation on their website and it now shows 2 different receivers.

Martin

3,200 mi 401 hours
King Shocks
SnowEx V-Plow
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 04:02 AM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwShoot View Post
No Flame taken!

Been riding since probably 2000 when we picked up our first ATV. Just seemed like there was more drag then the ATVs ever showed. Was thinking the Added weight and wider track vs the ATV paths were adding to the "Feeling" of this larger rig.

At this time with the way things have gone with the Prowler, I usually focus more on "OK what broke now" since it seems the last 2 owners never maintained it. LOL

Hurt my arm overdoing it hauling logs from trees I cut down in December, and re-hurt that arm trying to get the oil filter off yesterday so I was extremely frustrated!

Also didn't help since I was staying away from full throttle for the break-in period. Looking forward to opening it up this summer since Monday was the last time it will see trails till the plow is removed and summer springs are swapped back in.

Also waiting to hear back from SnowEx since they updated the UTV V-Plow documentation on their website and it now shows 2 different receivers.
you have to keep in mind the light weight of the ATV allows it to float on top of the sand easier and the track width allows easier handling

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Been thinking and I'm betting the very stiff suspension probably caused the the Prowler to be tossed around quite a bit instead of allowing the suspension to absorb the rough terrain!

Front has the 350lb springs for the plow and barely compresses when the plow is off. Also forgot to drop the rear shocks back down from 120psi since the last time I used it I was hauling large amounts of wood. LOL

Also with the Front suspension, I have not had the time to check the Nitrogen Pressure to see what that is at. Filthy Motorsports e-mailed me to check them also since sometimes they are set at near max from the factory. Due to the time of the year and Kings, Backlog, they came straight to me from the factory.

Now the good news, SOOOOOOO GLAD I made it out on the trails and completed the break-in Monday! Trails closed around 4pm yesterday!

Martin

3,200 mi 401 hours
King Shocks
SnowEx V-Plow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement