2009 Prowler 700 XTX Jerking - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

2009 Prowler 700 XTX Jerking

Just picked up an 09 Prowler XTX 700 that is pretty rough cosmetically but seemed ok mechanically (so far). One thing I noticed is when taking off, that sucker will jerk hard, causing your foot to jerk off the throttle, making it look like youre driving a stick shift for the first time.

I have done some research on this, and saw that they say this is "normal" for these XTX's, which ive gathered is turf saver? Well the jerking I was doing wasnt saving any kind of turf. I'm assuming someone has come up with a solution to this issue. What is it? I was thinking somehow stiffening up the throttle spring? Is it the clutch that causes this?

One other thing ive noticed is when you let off the gas, its almost like it has a jake brake the way it slows down in a hurry. It seems like it was meant to do that, but this is my first side by side, so I'm just double checking to make sure im not just looking past what could be an issue.

Thanks in advance.

2009 PROWLER 700 XTX
AKA
"FEEDER FILLER"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Glad you came back! I have the same machine, and it does take awhile to get used to the throttle! They is a cheap fix, order the throttle spring for a 2009 650XT, it is by far lighter. The turf saver has caused many negative write ups, but some like it, so some don't. I did swap my Turf Saver out at the 7,500 mile mark, but I pulled it for snow plow duty. I'm planning on putting it back in shortly! One of the things to watch for is using the friction modifier gear lube by Arctic Cat (kinda like the fish oil for ford posi units!), Amsoil has a gear lube that is compatable, but I never took the chance! I replace my gear lube 2-3 times a year with the Turf Saver, and IMO it has extended its life.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 05:40 PM

Garage
that feeling of a jake brake is normal. its the engine break. its very handy and saves the brake pads. if your going slow enough it will disengage, to reengage it just tap the gas for a second. i was going to look for a way to remove this feature but i have grown to love it.

2012 700 Prowler HDX, re-routed intake, LXC cab with heat, HID headlights, tonneau box cover, Tusk TriloBite HD 8-Ply tires (27 inch), LED dome lights, Renegade Wicked Start RG30L-WS 600+ CCA Battery

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

So you're saying that I should use the arctic cat brand gear lube? Glad you told me that, because I was about to change that out.

Is it possible to shim that rear end to disable that turf saver? I noticed that rear drive shaft will turn almost a full turn before that pinion engages the ring gear.

I'm def not complaining about that jake brake, I love it. Mostly because the brakes on this thing ain't too hot right now. Lol

Thanks for all the info fellas, it's much appreciated

2009 PROWLER 700 XTX
AKA
"FEEDER FILLER"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 04:37 AM
Administrator

I wondered the same thing, looked all over for a service pack for the turf saver, but no go! The assembly is sold only as a complete unit. Some have welded the assembly to make it a locked rear, but from what I've heard most have failed. You can change to a factory unit (locked) by using the 2009 700 XT, or model years after 2011 for the rear assembly, and you will also need the axles as the inner CV's are different. Both units use the same 36T ring gear. The engine braking is nice, but the one way bearing is prone to failure under certain conditions. It can be removed, engine braking will be effected, but not totally eliminated.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement