Looking at 2015 prowler HDX - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Looking at 2015 prowler HDX

Hello!

I'm new to the forum, and also (soon)new to arctic cat as well. I found a used 2015 Prowler 500 hdx that is in great shape and has 200 miles on it. It belongs to a friend(of a friend) who uses it to plow his driveway..hence the low mileage.

I like the machine because of the large dump box and especially the three up seating. (well my kids love it). I know very little about arctic cat. I have owned a Yamaha Rhino 450 in the past, and found it was adequate for my needs, although a little more top end would have been nice, but I could live with it. (Around 38-39 mph stock). I would be using it 50/50 for trails and forest roads.

Can someone tell me more about the machine? Any known issues, Good Power, Top end speed, reliability. Also don't know much about the 4x4 on these systems.

Any input is appreciated...thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 03:47 PM
Administrator

You will see a slight increase in performance over the 450 Rhino, big thing on the HDX is the ability to work with it. AC has used the same basic drivetrain since 2011 on the HDX.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 05:27 PM

Garage
i cant speak for the 500 HDX but my 700 HDX is about to hit 7k miles and is worked hard hauling bales, rock, and whatever else i can find. the body and drive train has been bullet proof so far other than a wheel bearing. they like to play as hard as they work too. i take mine on trips to other states to just hit trails with the wife.

2012 700 Prowler HDX, re-routed intake, LXC cab with heat, HID headlights, tonneau box cover, Tusk TriloBite HD 8-Ply tires (27 inch), LED dome lights, Renegade Wicked Start RG30L-WS 600+ CCA Battery

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so far for the replies. Good to hear they sound to be a proven machine. How does the 4x4 work on these?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Dash mounted switch that activates the front differential, and then you have the option of locking the front diff.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 07:10 AM

Garage
really well. i always let off the gas, flip the switch, then hit the gas just to make sure it slides in good. i also reverse that procedure to get it out.

now that im thinking about it, the only real issue with the HDX is the air filter location. im not too sure if the 500 has the pre filter in the same location as the 700 but the pipe runs under the passenger seat on the 700. i had to replace my air filter about every 100 to 200 miles until i did the rerouted intake fix. now its once a year regardless of how many miles i put on, unless im following someone down a gravel road sucking their dust lol. this only cost me about 10 to 15 bucks. here is a link to the guy that gave me the idea to try it.
HDX Pre Filter Relocation

2012 700 Prowler HDX, re-routed intake, LXC cab with heat, HID headlights, tonneau box cover, Tusk TriloBite HD 8-Ply tires (27 inch), LED dome lights, Renegade Wicked Start RG30L-WS 600+ CCA Battery
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_crazy View Post
really well. i always let off the gas, flip the switch, then hit the gas just to make sure it slides in good. i also reverse that procedure to get it out.

now that im thinking about it, the only real issue with the HDX is the air filter location. im not too sure if the 500 has the pre filter in the same location as the 700 but the pipe runs under the passenger seat on the 700. i had to replace my air filter about every 100 to 200 miles until i did the rerouted intake fix. now its once a year regardless of how many miles i put on, unless im following someone down a gravel road sucking their dust lol. this only cost me about 10 to 15 bucks. here is a link to the guy that gave me the idea to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont79 View Post
Dash mounted switch that activates the front differential, and then you have the option of locking the front diff.

Good info, Thanks. I don't believe the one i'm looking at does not have a button for locking front diff. I imagine this means its a limited slip 4x4? I imagine you cant switch on the fly?

Last edited by Creek.Jumper; 07-09-2017 at 11:34 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 02:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek.Jumper View Post
Good info, Thanks. I don't believe the one i'm looking at does not have a button for locking front diff. I imagine this means its a limited slip 4x4? I imagine you cant switch on the fly?
if it doesnt have the locker for the front you might be able to do what the honda guys were doing when they needed to lock the front. they would apply the brake just enough to get both front tires spinning. its not something you want to do alot but it can get you out of a jam.
i used to shift on the fly but i stripped the gears in the 4x4 actuator on my 2005 650 v2, they are just plastic. ever since i have always tried to have it locked in before i needed it and take it as easy as i can on it.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek.Jumper View Post
The parts diagram shows a activator for the front differential, not sure if it locks it or not. About the only time I use 4 wheel locked is pushing snow. I never shift on the fly, but I've heard others do.

Either - Dick or RD
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont79 View Post
The parts diagram shows a activator for the front differential, not sure if it locks it or not. About the only time I use 4 wheel locked is pushing snow. I never shift on the fly, but I've heard others do.
I don't shift on the fly either. And I rarely lock my front diff. It's barely steerable with my stock tires mounted, and with the 28x12's on the front, it's really squirrely with it locked in.

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and lights, lights and more lights!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement