prowler code P0116 - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

prowler code P0116

i have this code keep popping up on me. i have flushed the radiator and refilled it several times. The dealer can't figure it out as they are a small dealer. it doesn't matter how i am using it it flashes that code with the fan running then when i shut it off it overflows from the radiator. i then refill it and start all over again. when the code is flashing i have a reduction in power. i use it quite often for my business so it is very frustrating.
thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 12:09 PM

Garage
i am not sure what model or year your talking about but i can give a general idea of what may be happening.

if its actually puking out antifreeze there is defiantly a problem. i would start with some of easy spots to check.

first is a very odd one but i have seen it happen to a polaris sportsman. the fan was spinning backwards trying to blow forward. the blade needed to be reversed. this was the way it was from the factory. ya odd i know.

next is checking the oil. its possible its eating antifreeze causing it to overheat. this would be making the oil milky or the exhaust smoke white.

next is your thermostat may be stuck. you could try replace it or test it to see if it opens in a pot of boiling water using a thermometer to measure the water temp.

last is a trick i heard of to fix a snowmobile. sometimes you get air locking the system after an overheat or fluid change. drive the utv up a sharp incline and leave the nose in the air for a few hours to get the air to go to the radiator. this one im not sure will work but i do it to mine just to make sure. air pockets are not good and can cause the system to not flow properly.

2012 700 Prowler HDX, re-routed intake, LXC cab with heat, HID headlights, tonneau box cover, Tusk TriloBite HD 8-Ply tires (27 inch), LED dome lights, Renegade Wicked Start RG30L-WS 600+ CCA Battery
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 02:56 PM
Lifetime Member

Garage
I'll do some more searching but I did find this post, checking fuses might be a place to start.

Quote:
very familiar with that code. Every time fuse blows code po116 comes up as it is overheating.Apparently according to one mechanic the wiring harness is faulty but ac won't change it.
After reading your post again, this probably won't be any help.

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 09:16 PM

Garage
i forgot the easiest one and usually the culprit. dirty fins in the radiator. i have this problem on my 650 atv often. its always sucking in bugs and grass seed. i usually pressure wash it from the front BUT BE CAREFUL! you can bend the fins very easy with pressure washers. even a good strong PSI garden hose would help.
it always looks ok but once i hit it with water my fan barely runs afterwards instead of constantly running.

2012 700 Prowler HDX, re-routed intake, LXC cab with heat, HID headlights, tonneau box cover, Tusk TriloBite HD 8-Ply tires (27 inch), LED dome lights, Renegade Wicked Start RG30L-WS 600+ CCA Battery
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 09:34 AM

Did you bleed the air out of cooling system after the first flush? Sounds like you have an air lock in the cooling system. To bleed mine, I raise the front end up about 6" to get the radiator as high as possible. Run it until the fan comes on. The Tstat will open. After the fan kicks on, shut it down and carefully remove the radiator cap. Start it back up and run it. You should see air move through the system and out the top of the radiator. The air flows through the coolant, to the highest point, so that's why I jack up the front end so high. May need to do it several times, but it eventually will work its way out. I installed a coolant recovery jug on mine. This really worked out to be a good move. No more puking or overheats.

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and lights, lights and more lights!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement