The new travel management plan - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By cat_crazy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down The new travel management plan

Was just wondering how the forest service's travel management plan is treating everyone else? It is suppose to be nationwide. Here in SW New Mexico they are closing a lot of roads because of it. Was told that every district has to close so many miles of roads. There is no rhym or reason that I can see to the ones they are closing. In some areas they are restricting utv's to under 50" on some roads/trails. Maybe someone can tell me whats the difference of a 4wheeler, SXS or a jeep or pickup, on a road /trail. Why under 50" they all make a set of tracks.

2010 Prowler 1000 XTZ,AC two piece hard top,AC half windshield, procar terrain seats, crow 4 point harnesses, homemade harness bar, K&N air filter, 3" rigid ind. led fog lights, garmin gps
Troy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 08:22 PM

Garage
i havent even heard of this yet. it sounds like some group pushing safety got to some government branch. do you have a link to it?
ive got over 14k worth of riding on trails, gravel, and pavement since 2007. your as safe as you wish to drive. respect for the machine goes a long way but as we all know some like to push the limits.
with that said im all for opening up trails. we cant all live in a bubble because of the few.

2012 700 Prowler HDX, re-routed intake, LXC cab with heat, HID headlights, tonneau box cover, Tusk TriloBite HD 8-Ply tires (27 inch), LED dome lights, Renegade Wicked Start RG30L-WS 600+ CCA Battery
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 08:53 PM

Garage
good reading there.

it looks like this was online before 2009 as question 17 states they expected the routes and area designations to be completed by 2009 so it is not a new travel guide for the forest system. maybe 10 years old now?

with that in mind i would say areas around my state are getting better possibly due to this law. we had a trail open up a few years ago in the pembina gorge which is heavily monitored by the government.... and they built the trail system.

reading the document it states many times that public input is weighed with every decision. it may be time to join a club to try re-open some of these trails your loosing and maybe (hopefully) open some new ones.

we do not have an atv club in my area. farmers rule the state and atvs will not be going across very much of it because they are worried about rouge atv riders tearing up crops so its mostly road riding. but i am a club member in another state where we occasionally go to ride with family. 30 buck membership is pretty cheap and i never make a meeting but i love the trails so they have my voice for the trails.

also it seems through out the document it talks about noise here and there. that is a very touchy subject and is a large reason people try fight against a trail opening. they want it to be peaceful when they go out, live, ect... and that is understandable. due to that fact i try to keep my rig as quiet as possible. ive noticed a few atv haters not so hateful when i pull up to talk with them on the roads but they fume when a piped bike comes flying down the road. i would say other than the atv's jumping off trail and ripping stuff up that destroys an area this would run a very close second place. loud pipes save lives they say but it also builds up the voice for the side trying to close the trails. the more popular the sport, the more atv's with loud pipes. i try to do what i can like trying to keep my utv quiet to keep what trails i got with the hope for more. (ive even been known to pick cans and garbage up along the trails... keep'em clean right lol)

do what you can with your rig and join a club is my advice.
Fairmont79 likes this.

2012 700 Prowler HDX, re-routed intake, LXC cab with heat, HID headlights, tonneau box cover, Tusk TriloBite HD 8-Ply tires (27 inch), LED dome lights, Renegade Wicked Start RG30L-WS 600+ CCA Battery
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

I guess I shouldn't have said "new" plan as we have been hearing about it for years, but they just started implementing it around here in the last year, that is new to me.. There is no rhyme or reason to the roads they are closing, it seems like they hired a bunch of summer students and gave them a boat load of road closed stickers and told them to go out and put them up. We road this one road a little over 11 miles and was within a mile of a major road to come across a road closed sign. I can agree with some of it like the roads that a wood cutter or somebody made that only goes 1/4 mile or so, hell yeah close it, it doesn't go anywhere but that's not the case. The subdivision that I live in butts up to forest with lots of roads/trails and they closed every one of them right around the subdivision because people were complaining about the noise. When they have these meetings for public input they like to have them at 10 o'clock in the morning on a Tuesday or Wednesday when most people are at work, or they have the meeting clear across the state to talk about something going on here. I better quit I feel my blood about to boil!

2010 Prowler 1000 XTZ,AC two piece hard top,AC half windshield, procar terrain seats, crow 4 point harnesses, homemade harness bar, K&N air filter, 3" rigid ind. led fog lights, garmin gps
Troy
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 06:34 AM

Garage
this is the biggest reason to have an atv/utv club. they do the fund raising, have the president (or other members) that runs to these meetings, and can have the loudest voice. things clubs can do in areas like this to help curb the noise rather than close the trail is to set signs up reducing speed in specific areas which reduces motor noise, planting more shrubs along the trails to try curb noise, and most important has meetings that all people can attend that is local and at a decent time. yea speed limit signs suck but its better than seeing a trail closed sign.

lots of shady tactics are taken when trying to eliminate something people call a nuisance. clubs have been around this a lot and are better suited to deal with stuff like that. if you have one to several members of a club go to a meeting they can stand up and have the voice of hundreds of members and the government must treat that as if hundreds are speaking.

we all want to get along but some just want to watch the world burn. even government workers can tell quickly who those people are but if nobody has anything to say in opposition to that one idiot they can only listen to the fire and brimstone that person says and make that rule.

here is an example of what i was told by a friend about trail clubs (quoted).
my family has a snowmobile trail going across their land which they do want there but had recently thought of having it moved off their land, mostly because of those idiot off trail riders. the trail members have talked with my family and said they will do more than just monitor the issue and its gotten much better the last few years so they said they are not thinking of having it moved anymore.

in all honesty i have tried to gather information and check how much interest there would be in my area about having a atv club. lots of riders are interested but the farmers instantly condemn it and start off on a rant. they know how much pull a club can muster so they would rather try stop it before it starts.

that blood boiling part is a good thing to have, most of us get that. it shows the passion you have for the sport. control it and put it to positive use in a club. a little motivation goes a long way but passion can re-open a trail

Sponsored Links
Advertisement