Hard fuel vapor lock - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Hard fuel vapor lock

Super hot at Black River Falls (Wi) trails and the Prowler fuel vapor locked terribly on hot soaks after hard runs. I'm not sure if was the heat or the fuel, I was running 91 octane pure fuel, no ethanol. After the engine would finally fire up and stop sputtering after cool fuel found its way to the carb, it ran great. I think I'll wrap the fuel lines this week, but won't find out if that's the fix until the next hard run. But, it won't be at BRF, those trails are meant for RZR's and Wildcats. The Prowler took a lot of punishment, but our bodies took more. The suspension is not made for these kind of trails.

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and hardtop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 06:01 AM
Administrator

Heat sleeves are available from Summit/JEGS. It is amazing how much heat these things generate at full bore!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

I remember putting clothes pins on the fuel lines to act as a heat sink. It worked on my old 69 Chevelle SS! Hmm....

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and hardtop.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 06:34 AM

I had some heat sleeve around but it didn't fit over the connector but I made it work. The fuel line looks like it's been cooked a few times. So it must get hot. I would try to add some zip ties to get it farther away from the exhaust too. (Ignore that only the 1000's have the exhaust near the gas lines)

I haven't ridden BRF in a few years and it was winter. I don't remember it being that rough. Is it pot holed everywhere after a summer of riding? Rode in the Hurley,Wi area last weekend only one trail beat us up and the Wildcats (Sport & 4x) thought is was rough too. They should have just gone faster and I should have slowed down.

Last edited by Firecat; 09-27-2017 at 07:38 AM. Reason: correction
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Yes, BRF was crazy rough! The soft sand was getting trenched and full of moguls. I found it rode much better in 4WD than in two, but it was still all washboards. I'll get to the fuel line insulating later this week, I hope. Finishing up on a deck project now, before I go back to work from vacation.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 08:38 PM

Washboards are miserable to ride.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 05:19 AM
Loyal Member

last years when I was down in Parker Az. right after some huge rains we used several dry river beds to run distance [miles] and were the first to be on them ..... flat like glass for miles and miles ..these same area's were nearly un drivable a few days before I got there ... ran at full throttle the entire time we were in them.

the day before I got there they had 4" in four hours .. the flash floods were all over the area .. in the two months we were there had no rain to speak of and the drainages got progressive worse to ride in.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
I remember putting clothes pins on the fuel lines to act as a heat sink. It worked on my old 69 Chevelle SS! Hmm....
Ah, The good old days!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 12:20 PM

i just started reading this thread because my prowler started running rough at high speed today,I used it to fill my deer feeders and got stuck, after getting pulled out and going home, it would start to miss at about 45mph, I could tell it was pretty warm, what do you think caused this, first time I've noticed that.thanks,I'm pretty new to these things.

Prowler HDX,, lxc cab, tracks.led turn signals,2nd battery, dome and cab light,mud flaps, winch with 50ft synthetic rope.2 sets ear muffs,bush anchor,center floor 2gun rack,mirrors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement