clack in the rear end- what can cause it? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

clack in the rear end- what can cause it?

i acquired a 2009 prowler xt650 from my cousin this weekend. it had been sitting at the deer camp since last december. when i found it, it had three flat tires and a dead battery. i aired the tires up, hooked up a new battery, added some ethanol free gas and used some starter fluid to fire it up.

the engine seems to run pretty good. as i spent the weekend test driving it to identify any potential problems, I notice a clack in the rear end which happens at low speeds and more when turning left. the sounds seems to be coming from the right rear area. i had my wife drive real slow as i followed close behind to see if i could see anything that would cause the clack. everything looked to be in order, so i am thinking the noise is coming form somewhere that is concealed.

what might be the possible causes of the clack, and what can i do to pinpoint the problem and fix it.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by gps4; 10-11-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 10:09 AM

Possibly a dry CV joint. Mine did the same thing. I repacked my CV joints and the noise your describing, went away.

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and lights, lights and more lights!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Possibly a dry CV joint. Mine did the same thing. I repacked my CV joints and the noise your describing, went away.
I assume to do so, i would need to remove the axles, remove the boots and pack the bearings with grease? is there a certain kit with new boots and boot clamps?

thanks in advance

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 12:08 PM
Loyal Member

also be sure the axle is seated , they have been known to pop out if not properly seated

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 05:13 PM

I assume to do so, i would need to remove the axles, YEP! remove the boots YEP! and pack the bearings with grease? YEP! is there a certain kit with new boots and boot clamps? No kit really needed. Each CV takes 120 grams of CV grease. Buy it at any auto store. I reuse the boots and clamps. I did buy new clamps, but have not needed to use them yet. The old ones can be re-used easily. My boots have always looked fine. I do have a spare axle shaft, that I carry in the truck when we go on the runs, just in case I need it. Download the owners manual, it lists repairs of everything.

thanks in advance Your welcome!

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and lights, lights and more lights!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

think i found the problem. axles and bearing came in yesterday. so last evening, i started tearing it down. when i pulled the knuckle away from the axle, a piece of the inner race bearing was wedged on the axle and balls spilled out everywhere. the outer race is still lodged and even with the lip that holds the bearing in place so there was nothing a bearing driver and ball joint press could push out.

removing the mangled race is above my pay grade, so i removed the knuckle and took it and the new bearing to a local machine shop. guy told me he would remove the bad race, and press in the new bearing for $30 and have it ready by the end of business.

we will see how it goes.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

I seem to have resolved the clack in the back. Machine shop called around 9:30 to let me know the knuckle was ready. I went home during the lunch time hour and put in the new axle and put it all back together. Took a ride through the neighborhood with plenty of turns and pleased to report that I have no more clacking at this time. \

for all i know, it could all fall apart this weekend....
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gps4 View Post
for all i know, it could all fall apart this weekend....
Geez, don't say that!!! It's contagious around here!

Glad you got her fixed, Buddy!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

So far, so good. Got it cleaned up and running just fine. Next order of business is replacing the busted tail gate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 04:50 PM
Loyal Member

may I suggest that your family ESPECIALLY the youngsters wear the seat belts and helmet...in that pic there is nothing holding in that youngster and the seat doesn't fit either to help hold.

In many areas that would get you a citation from the police , not to mention possibility of an accident God forbid doing real damage to your child.

make a seat pad or something to help hold the child in place when belted in and set the rules that never get in without a helmet.... one mans opinion here

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement