What should Labor cost to replace axles a wheel bearings - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bryan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

What should Labor cost to replace axles a wheel bearings

I suspect I've got at least one bad wheel bearing and one bad cv joint on an 09 xt650. Boots are also torn close to the wheels. I figure while the rear end is apart to address these things, I might as well replace both wheel bearings and both axles. Amazon has axle and wheel bearing bundle for $70.

I've watched a few videos, but never had the opportunity to replace axles and bearings myself.

1) should I try it myself?

2) if I get the parts and have someone else do the replace and install, what is customar/usual Labor cost for this?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 09:08 PM

"K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts" is the place to download a repair manual. The axles are super easy to replace, and yes, its the perfect time to replace the bearings, too. Pull the spindles off and rent a bearing removal/installation kit from a parts store like CARQUEST or Advance Auto. I used a block of wood, hammer, vise and sockets to press my old out and new in. Its super simple. The hardest part is probably torqueing the outer axle nuts to 200 ft pounds.
Fairmont79 likes this.

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and hardtop.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 08:58 AM

It's easy if everything comes apart. Sometimes the axles don't come out easy, same with bearings. So expect a few challenges, but it's a DIY job. I don't know what your brand your getting from Amazon but I won't put anything but Koyo bearings in a Arctic cat. I have tried a few others and they don't last nearly as long. FYI: Koyo was the oem part then it wasn't. Heard they are again.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecat View Post
It's easy if everything comes apart. Sometimes the axles don't come out easy, same with bearings. So expect a few challenges, but it's a DIY job. I don't know what your brand your getting from Amazon but I won't put anything but Koyo bearings in a Arctic cat. I have tried a few others and they don't last nearly as long. FYI: Koyo was the oem part then it wasn't. Heard they are again.
Can you recommend, reputable, reasonably priced brand/supplier for rear axles ?

thanks in advance.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 04:12 AM
Administrator

I bought el cheapo's off e-bay! For my use, they have been fine. Prices are all over the board, just depends on what you want. Factory axles are pretty stout, after market high performance are somewhat (?) better, but who knows!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 07:18 AM

Here is the axle I bought. Arctic Cat 550/650/700/1000 Prowler rear left/right cv axle 2006 2007 - 2010 | eBay I installed it, then rebuilt my old left rear axle. The CV joints on the old axle looked great after cleaning then got a repacking, So I swapped it out for the right rear and rebuilt that one for a spare rear. I bought All Balls bearings, and ball joints, from Ebay, and have had zero problems with them.

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and hardtop.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 12:34 PM

I would buy stock axles unless you running big mud tires or plan too. Gorillas axles have a good reputation and expensive too.

That is if you need an axle. Pull the boot, clean & inspect. Might just need some new grease and boot. Cheap compared to an axle.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecat View Post
I would buy stock axles unless you running big mud tires or plan too. Gorillas axles have a good reputation and expensive too.

That is if you need an axle. Pull the boot, clean & inspect. Might just need some new grease and boot. Cheap compared to an axle.
i'm pretty sure i have the stock tires that came with the machine in 2009. i don't plan on doing any heavy mudding or rock climbing. I will use this sxs primarily to carry by big behind and all my gear into and out of the deer woods (flat mississippi delta land) and occasionally around the neighborhood from time to time.

bow season starts tomorrow and the ride is still operational. i ordered a couple of axles on amazon to swap out. i will ride it like it is until the new axles and wheel bearings come in, then swap them out as soon as i can. once i get the old axles off, i will take my time disassembling them and learning how to put them back together. if i can get them back together, i will use them as spares in case the inexpensive new ones go out on me.

thanks for the pointers.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Good luck on your hunt!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 05:26 PM

Sounds like a good plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement