Auxiliary battery setup ideas - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Auxiliary battery setup ideas

I'm thinking of adding an auxiliary battery to an 09 xt650. has anyone set this up where it will charge along with the primary battery off the stock charging system?

If so, I'd love to see pics of the location of the new battery and the wiring setup.

thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 04:04 AM
Administrator

Many owners have done this with great results! I mounted mine on the drivers side frame rail under the bed and used a continuous duty (snow plow type) solenoid to tie it into the Prowler electrical system. I control it by a simple on/off switch.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 07:29 AM

A few have mounted aux batteries under the front hood, where the factory heater would be mounted. Running the alternator made a huge difference in mine. But I still need to do the aux battery, too. Since I have the heater, I'll have to mount mine in the rear frame. The 650 battery's are so small, they run down quickly when running any accessories. Even with the alternator, I have to watch the power usage. I noticed when in 4WD, volt gauge drops drastically, I even got the "VOLT" message in the DIC when running it and the cooling fan kicked on. Does the 4WD need constant voltage to keep the front diff locked in?

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and hardtop.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 09:20 AM
Loyal Member

an a few have switched out the factory battery for an Odyssey 950 Amp as it fits in factory location
akflyer likes this.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

what kind of battery boxes are folks using to mount the aux battery to the frame?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 03:35 PM
Administrator

I made my mount, used 3/4" aluminum plate and made a saddle block (2), and attached 3/16" aluminum plate to them to form the battery box (I never do anything the easy way! LOL). I also redid the factory battery box by moving it the area under the drivers seat, and cutting an access panel in the side panel.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 10:26 PM

Garage
i have been thinking about this. with the hdx, i have extra storage in front of the rear wheels that i never use because it is not waterproof and fills with dirt. it would be an excellent spot for a battery. i have been thinking about moving the battery location to that box and using a car battery. i am not sure if there is enough room anywhere on the other prowler models for a car battery though. so far my battery has been bullet proof but the day is coming. i have also heard of others using two batterys but with that setup it is only as good as your weakest battery. the cost is higher as well.

2012 700 Prowler HDX, re-routed intake, LXC cab with heat, HID headlights, tonneau box cover, Tusk TriloBite HD 8-Ply tires (27 inch), LED dome lights, Renegade Wicked Start RG30L-WS 600+ CCA Battery
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 06:52 AM
Loyal Member

as I said above check out the spec's on the Odyssey 925 ... it fits in my battery box with no modifications and is a EXTRA HEAVY DUTY battery and can be mounted in any position as it's 100% sealed. be sure to use the net and shop around as prices are very different high to low , many sites offer free shipping as well .... this battery is available in many configurations also.

here is the first site that came up on the search [many others also]

http://www.batterymart.com/c-odyssey...ssey_batteries

2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 07:00 AM
Loyal Member

the spec's of just one of the configurations .. all the 925 spec's are about the same just different ordering numbers do to post config. or case selected etc.

Battery Mart

800-405-2121
Chat
HOME ODYSSEY BATTERIES ODYSSEY PC925 BATTERY

Odyssey PC925 Battery
zoom in
Odyssey PC925 Battery
Item #: PC925 | In Stock
(22) Read a Review / Write a Review Made in USA MADE IN USA
$251.28
Today's Price: $153.95
Estimate Shipping
Free Shipping! Free Shipping
Include L Adapters [Item #: ADAPT] +$5.95
Include SAE Terminals [Item #: 3217-0006] +$12.95
Quantity
Best Value
Free Shipping
2-3 Year (Warranty Info) Warranty
Brand New
100% Compatibility
Replaces: View Full List of OEM numbers and models
ADD TO WISH LIST

SPECSDESCRIPTIONTECH TIPSREVIEWSCROSS REFERENCE
Product Specifications for Odyssey PC925 Battery
SPECIFICATIONS:
BM Part #: PC925
Made In: U.S.A.
Voltage: 12 Volt
Capacity: 28 Ah
Type: AGM
Length: 6.44"
Width: 6.75"
Height: 4.88"
Terminal Height: 4.43"
Cold Cranking Amps: 330 CCA
Shipping Weight: 26.00Lbs
Warranty: 2-3 Year (Warranty Info)
Additional Specs:

330 CCA, 480 MCA, 610 HCA
900 Cranking Amps for 5 Seconds
53 Minute Reserve Capacity
Cycle life @ 77 F 400 at 100% DOD
-40 F to 140 F Temperature Range
More Specs: (Adobe PDF)
Made in the USA
The Odyssey L Terminal Adapters may be required by some models to connect to the Odyssey battery. (Sold separately)
For Maintaining This Battery: The Odyssey OBC-6A charger can be used.
For Ongoing Deep Cycle Recovery: The Odyssey OBC-12A charger is recommended.
Odyssey trademark is the property of Enersys and affiliates.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 09:44 AM

Hey guys the Odyssey 925 won't fit in a 650. It will only work in the 550XT, HDX, XTX and XTZ models. The battery tray is too small for it. The battery for the 650 measures 3.44 W-8.13 L and 6.38 tall. If you want to replace the stock 650 battery tray to allow the bigger battery to work, order battery tray part number 2406-914. Here is one off Ebay. 2011 11 ARCTIC CAT PROWLER XTZ 1000 OEM BATTERY BOX TRAY HOLDER 2406-914 | eBay But, you better hurry, because that "Buy It Now" button is looking better to me all the time! I had to replace my battery in a pinch with a WallyWorld ElCheapo last winter when I was plowing snow. Farm and Fleet only had a good AGM in stock for the other models, I bought it and had to return it because there was no way it was gonna fit. No one else had one except for WallyWorld, so I bought the ElCheapo, and its exactly that. So, after last weeks BRF's ride and voltage issue, I'm thinking about adding this tray and an Odyssee in conjunction with the one in the stock location.
I think the difference between the 650 and the others is because our 650's are carbed and don't take the juice the others with their fuel injection set ups, take. Also, here is stickied thread on stock batteries, in the electrical forum, for any one interested in batteries. http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/ar...formation.html

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and hardtop.

Last edited by Bryan; 10-01-2017 at 09:52 AM. Reason: spelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement