2017 prowler 500 - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

2017 prowler 500

I'm 15 days from warranty being expired and lost 4wd on trails yesterday. Nothing crazy I'd call them medium. I'll take back to dealer but wondering now if I bought something too small for how I ride.

Also wanting wheel spacers and a lift.
Gotta really dig to find stuff for 2017 so any tips would be appreciated.
Conditions yesterday were BONE DRY trails in timber.
I can hear the solenoid engage for 4wd and diff lock but no HP to the ground in front
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 01:42 PM
Administrator

For sure on the warranty! I have a 700 that I sometimes wish was bigger, but being realistic it suits my needs perfectly! Bigger, and faster is not always the answer!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 02:25 PM
Loyal Member

hey hey come on now LOL

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont79 View Post
Bigger, and faster is not always the answer!
Really??? I think someone stole RD's log in and posted this for him...

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and lights, lights and more lights!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Overall I liked the way it preformed. I'm ok with the power....for now....we'll see how it likes the mud once I get a little ground clearance. It feels a little top heavy when you are sideways on a hill.

Last edited by Terpstra17prowler500; 10-02-2017 at 09:07 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 03:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Really??? I think someone stole RD's log in and posted this for him...
I have moments of sanity, just not often! LOL

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 04:12 AM

The top heaviness increases with when adding more lift. I have almost 4" of lift with the lift kit and HD springs. I increased the stance with a set of wheels with more outside offset and run the same size tire all the around, now. It handles really well when rolling. If you try to turn the front wheels while standing still, its a 2 fister. I call it Armstrong power steering.

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and lights, lights and more lights!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Question rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
The top heaviness increases with when adding more lift. I have almost 4" of lift with the lift kit and HD springs. I increased the stance with a set of wheels with more outside offset and run the same size tire all the around, now. It handles really well when rolling. If you try to turn the front wheels while standing still, its a 2 fister. I call it Armstrong power steering.
will an offset rim be better than wheel spacers and where might i find them?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 08:30 AM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terpstra17prowler500 View Post
It feels a little top heavy when you are sideways on a hill.

that is because it is tippy especially lifted ones , stock ones are bad enough ! up sizing a tire by one or two sizes is one thing but IMHO going to 30"ers from stock 26"ers isn't a wise move unless used solely on mostly flat ground and mud ... JUST ONE MAN'S OpINION

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 10:02 AM

I agree with Gary, changing the stock configuration does mess up the stability and a lot of stuff. Axle shaft angles are a big one. Where mine were relatively straight when stock, they are now at about a 20 degree angle. Be prepared to maintain your cv joints and shafts. And U joint angle is also increased. More maintenance, there too. I bought a set of Vision 158's. 14x8, have a 5+3 offset. I bought then off Ebay for 65 bucks each. They stick out the sides about 3" over the stock rims. The added offset also means more wheel bearing (hub) wear. I would rather not run wheel spacers on mine because of the rim/tire size. But if you have a stocker and just want to increase the stance for stability,(as a lot of guys here do) I think that would be fine.
I like the looks of mine and get a hell of a lot of gawkers on the trails, but in the woods, I can't around and under the tree's like I could before. The turning radius is larger, the ride is harsher. The maintenance is doubled, if not tripled and my wife now hates driving it. (like my 6" lifted Denali) ((hey, that's not a bad thing)). would I do it again? Ya, cause I can't leave crap stock.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement