No start after sitting. - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

No start after sitting.

I have a 2012 700 HDX, after it sits for a week it starts hard or not at all. I replaced the battery about 6 months ago. Once I hooked the battery charger up it starts up. Sometimes the starter hangs up, and I have to to recycle the ignition to get it to turn over. Any ideas of what to check or do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 11:06 PM

Garage
my starter hangs up during the initial start as well. it hits the compression and stops. this only happens if it hits the compression stroke as i hit the key. once i let off the next time i hit the key there are no issues.
i also somewhat have the same issue with letting it sit but from what i have heard most do. lots of guys are installing a battery tender to fix this issue. if i drive mine alot there are no issues but if it sits i will top off the battery just to make sure its good. that power steering sucks alot of juice.
hotrod likes this.

2012 700 Prowler HDX, re-routed intake, LXC cab with heat, HID headlights, tonneau box cover, Tusk TriloBite HD 8-Ply tires (27 inch), LED dome lights, Renegade Wicked Start RG30L-WS 600+ CCA Battery
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 06:04 AM
Administrator

I think that is a typical 700 issue! I encounter that frequently. There is a constant drain on the battery through the ECM memory.
hotrod likes this.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 08:40 AM

#2 On the battery tender! The instrument cluster is always hot due to the clock. I know that mine draws 1.5 amps when it sits, key off. So if it draws 1.5 amps per hour, that's 36 amps a day, times 7 days=252 amps out of a 350 amp battery (for my 650) leaves me 98 cranking amps in the battery. Not a whole lot left to energize the starter, ignition system and other accessories. Plus the 27 amp rectifier is gonna take almost 10 hours to charge the battery from just sitting for a week, yet alone the juice it took to get it started. If you want to re-set the clock all time, you can install a battery on/off switch. I got one, but don't use it. I might install it again, when I add the car battery.
hotrod likes this.

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and hardtop.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

no start after sitting

Sounds just like mine, I was thinking of the battery minder also. The battery is hard to get at! Thanks for your response.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 05:52 AM
Administrator

I added remote battery posts to mine so I can jump/charge without tearing half the machine apart to get to the battery. I bought the battery posts from JEGS.
hotrod likes this.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 08:19 AM
Loyal Member

RD where did you mount the remote posts , i believe you showed that before but CRS is on top of me these days LOL

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 05:11 AM
Administrator

I mounted them on the underhood tub. Access in the left front wheelwell.

Either - Dick or RD
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 11:09 AM

A week seems pretty quick. Should last longer if: The battery is good, the charging system is working properly and the vehicles is driven long enough to charge the battery to 100%

IMHO: Battery tenders pay for themselves in the extra life you get out of your batteries. Plus the benefit of not dealing with a weak battery when you could be playing or working.
hotrod likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 12:41 PM
Loyal Member

stock batteries are not very good quality and also breakdown do to the heat they are subjected to .... replace with quality IMHO best buy for the $$

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement