lost 4wd last night. where to start troubleshooting - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

lost 4wd last night. where to start troubleshooting

yesterday morning, i engaged the 4wd on my 09 650 and it seemed to work fine. yesterday afternoon, i believe it was working when i rode in to the woods on my way to the deer stand. on my way out, i got stuck in a mud hole and i noticed neither of my front tires were spinning.

what do i need to check to see why i may have lost 4wd. the 4wd indicator on my cluster was on. the rocker switch was in 4wd, but the front wheels weren't spinning at all.

we had to walk out about 1000 yards to get a ranger. after we pulled her out the mud hole, it was a very slick and slippery drive out with just rear wheel drive.

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 02:54 PM
Administrator

With the key on try the switch to see if you can hear the actuator engaging. No sound, check the fuse. Fuse good, check for voltage at the electrical connection. The actuator is not serviceable (Not sure on this!) so it may need replaced.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont79 View Post
With the key on try the switch to see if you can hear the actuator engaging. No sound, check the fuse. Fuse good, check for voltage at the electrical connection. The actuator is not serviceable (Not sure on this!) so it may need replaced.
where would i check the fuse for the 4wd actuator?

thanks in advance

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 11:14 AM

https://support.countrycat.com/posts...iring-diagrams

Save this link and print out the diagram. You may need a magnifying glass if your eyes are as old as mine. First question, were the tires spinning in forward gears and not reverse? You have to use the reverse override switch to keep the 4wd engaged when in reverse. There is no fuse that feeds the actuator, it goes through a relay. When the switch is in 2WD, the voltage is ON the actuator (the contact is closed, system grounded). Taking the power OFF opens the contact and the actuator looses its ground, which moves the actuator into 4WD. I found this out hap-hazzardly when my battery died, I lost enough voltage to keep that contact closed and the 4wd engaged on its own. Now, the switch signals the 4wd indicator in the cluster, so when its in 4wd, its getting the signal that its engaged, but that doesn't mean it actually is. So, whats wrong? Hell I don't know! Test that relay first. If its stuck closed, that would do exactly what you have going on. Then unhook the connector at the actuator and check for power at the terminals and that ground, from the relay, that goes to your override switch. Which breaks that ground again, to keep you in 4WD in reverse.

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and hardtop.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Fuse panel is under the drivers seat, relays are also located there.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

So, I have located the actuator and the wiring plug. I turn the key to the on position and let the fuel clicking cycle finish. I flip the 4x4 switch to 4wd and hear nothing.

Next, I am supppsed to check fuses under the driver seat, correct?

If fuses look ok, how do I check to see whether the actuator is getting power?

Thanks in advance.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 04:02 AM
Administrator

I Checked the wiring diagram and there is no fuse, only the relay. Check for voltage at the relay. All of the relays are the same so you can swap one to see if that makes any difference. I use a multi-meter to check for voltage. The connector at the actuator should have battery voltage with the key on.

Either - Dick or RD
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gps4 View Post
Next, I am supppsed to check fuses under the driver seat, correct?
Yes, the fuse block is under the seat, that contains the relay. You can check it like a fuse, it has test spots on it.

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and hardtop.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 07:06 PM

Why does this crap never fail to happen to me! Guess what went out today? My 4WD switch! It was engaging and disengaging by itself. Thought I was chasing a bad ground wire under the dash, then I pulled and tested the switch. Its the switch! 0409-074 is the part number and its 26 bucks. Here's how to test the circuit, GPS4...
Pull the switch bezel out of the dash, then pull the rear electrical connector off the back of the switch. Once I disconnected it, I jacked all 4 tires off the floor with 2 floor jacks and started it. In gear, it was in 4WD, without the wiring hooked up to the switch. Then I used a jumper wire and touched the 2 spade terminals like I did in the picture. You should hear the actuator engage... Its will be in 2WD after doing this. I think you have a bad switch, your contact in the switch won't break the connection to let it go into 4WD. So, I'm ordering a switch tonight! I hope this helps you out! Just don't say anything if your motor blows up.... ok?
My pictures turned out sideways... the top of the switch is the left side in the pics....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180118_191654.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	45882   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180118_191737.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	45890  

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 04:03 AM
Administrator

The AC switches are costly! Great tip on checking the switch.

Either - Dick or RD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement