Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

Brake Lines 2010 Prowler 1000 XTZ

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Paxx 
#1 ·
So here I am addressing my 1st issue with my prowler. My son was plowing yesterday......as like everyday in February it seemed :)........ and upon turning around to plow in the other direction the brake pedal went right to the floor without any pressure on his foot. After carefully completing what he had to get done he parked it and when I got home we went out and had a look. No brake fluid in the reservoir, but I did actually pay attention and noticed that the previous owner had left amount other things, a mostly full litre of brake fluid in the storage compartment........hmmmmm......maybe a leak somewhere he neglected to tell me about?? Anyway.......... upon further inspection I did note that both of the front brake lines appear kinked right where they bend around, where the braided part turns into the metal fitting, and connects to the caliper. The one on the passenger side had signs of oil leaking at that point. The driver side one seems to be ok for now. I have found that the front brake lines are the same parts for all 2006-2013 prowlers and so have been able to find some good used ones to start coming.

My question is: My brake lines seems very very tight (for length) and wonder if this is normal? Or have they been re routed by the previous owner........I can see untrimmed zip ties holding at least the driver side one in place........and maybe rerouted in the wrong place? It seems to me that the way they are sitting the cables should be an inch or two longer....... So I'd love a diagram or photo of where these cables are routed on another machine. The service manual doesn't give a very clear routing plan at all.....

Any input would be much appreciated!!!!
Thanks

Paxx

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Doesn't sound right, here's the brake lines on my 2007.

Attachments

#4 ·
Missouri Mike.......THANKS!!!! That is way different than my unit. That gives me a clear picture of what I don't have on mine. I think the PO must have changed some stuff when he did his last brake pads for some reason..... So thanks again, you've helped!!

Paxx

#3 ·
IMHO they are poorly routed and very poorly protected .... suggest you look into some custom made 2-3" longer lines and route them in a safer manner .. they might even need to be longer depending on the route you choose.

plowing packs snow up in that area badly and especially if your running A-Frame protectors [which will tear up the CV boots once frozen up and packed in there] .. using your rig in snow I recommend removing the a-frame protectors for the winter. MHO only

#5 ·
Gary.......thanks!!! That is a great suggestion!! I rolled my machine into my dear Mrs. Paxx's heated parking spot and then dig out all the snow and ice as I checked things over. I actually removed them to do so and will keep them off till the snow stops coming!! After seeing Mike's photos above I can see that mine have been routed quite a bit different, and in so doing put a big sharp turn on them as then come to the caliper causing a possible kink. I'm gonna look things over tomorrow and figure a much better route!!

Thanks a tonne!
Paxx

#6 ·
Mine are similar to Mikes, never had any issues with them. Never thought about the CV protectors getting packed with snow/ice!

#7 ·
Mine are the same too, I bet he did kink them around when doing a pad job. Ya, I never thought about taking the boot protectors off either... Might not be a bad idea! Thanks Gary...

#8 ·
we had a discussion a long time ago about the aluminum A Frame protectors holding and packing the snow into ice and the effects on the boots / CV covers .. someone else said they removed theirs after a ripped boot , made sense to me so when I lived up in Coeur d'Alene Idaho I too removed mine for winter .... kind of a PIA but still worth the time IMHO so I was just passing the info on.

in my case the snow was really pack tight and right against the boots and showed rubbing but did not tear them up .. was also a PIA to get the ice/packed snow out of there do to the hard packed ice I ended using my Victor wrench rose bud to melt a bunch of it to remove [using care not to get to close to the boots]

#9 ·
Well if I never ride/plow snow again I'll be a happy camper! Taking my snow plow with me for a conversation piece ! LOL

#10 ·
and you don't think you'll use it LOL good luck with that

may not use it often but believe you'll still have an occasion for mounting it up

#11 ·
Here's a couple more pics from the top that show the lines going through the rubber grommets.

Attachments

#13 ·
Mike, I totally agree with RD!! Great pics!!! And thanks for sharing!!! Haven't had a chance to look mine over yet today, but will get to it.....I hope!!

#12 ·
Great picture detail! Thanks for posting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.