Bad belt or something else - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Bad belt or something else

Hey guys. It has been a while since I have been on here. I rode my Prowler this weekend and came across a problem. The area in Florida we were riding in had thick sugar sand and of course some water holes. I followed a buggy most of the time so my speeds were under 10 mph for the majority of the day. By the end of the first day my Prowler seemed as if it was barely moving through the sand and wouldn't spin a tire while running at about 4 to 5k rpm's. The next day it was even worse. On hard ground it seems ok though. FYI, no water came out of the belt housing. Brings me to last night when I opened up the belt housing. The belt looks ok except for what look like a little separation happening in the belt. Any thoughts on what to check.

Thanks

Charlie
Cape Coral, FL
2014 Prowler 700 HDX Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 10:01 AM
Loyal Member

were you running in low gear or high gear ?

thinking your belt [oops] is gone if high gear and as you say showing "signs" .... when were you running 4-5K rpm sitting still and trying to move or while moving and no ground speed attempting to get speed ????

10 MPH for long periods of time in high gear and heavy torque applied in sand sure sounds like a smoked belt run to me.
akflyer and 3wheelerdude like this.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us

Last edited by GTroyer; 03-14-2018 at 05:28 PM.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTroyer View Post
were you running in low gear or high gear ?

thinking your but is gone if high gear and as you say showing "signs" .... when were you running 4-5K rpm sitting still and trying to move or while moving and no ground speed attempting to get speed ????

10 MPH for long periods of time in high gear and heavy torque applied in sand sure sounds like a smoked belt run to me.

I was running in high gear with no load other than two people. I was moving while running 4 to 5k rpm's but not very fast, nor were the tires spinning through the sand as they should have been. If I punched it, I would increase speed but very slowly and the tires would not spin. How can you tell if the belt is smoked? Thanks,

Charlie
Cape Coral, FL

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 04:59 PM

Ours and a buddies did the same thing in deep, soft sand on the Black River Falls trail. Mine actually did better than his to some degree, but I think its because I run 12" wide tires all the way around. I think its in the gearing, myself. Sand just bogs them down, really badly. I talked to a Ranger that used a Prowler for half a season and requested a new ride because of the same thing. I don't think there is problem. Just need more ponies, better gearing and maybe wider tires to float it a little.

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and hardtop.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 04:15 AM
Administrator

If your belt is showing signs of separation, I'd recommend a new belt. Sand really puts a load on these things, and the belt is the weak link. Check for glazing on the belt. Did you notice any smoke, or burning smell?

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont79 View Post
If your belt is showing signs of separation, I'd recommend a new belt. Sand really puts a load on these things, and the belt is the weak link. Check for glazing on the belt. Did you notice any smoke, or burning smell?
I am going to look closer at it tonight but did notice some separation in the belt. I have never really had a hard time running through sand before, but always had to be in 4wd to make it through easier. The Prowler actually only has about 350 miles on it.

My thoughts are: new belt, epi or speedwerks clutch kit for better bottom end, fan on the intake of the belt to help with the snorkels, and finally an exhaust to open it up some (either big gun or speedwerks).

Fairmont, I noticed you have multiple temperature gauges including on the belt and oil. Do you mind showing or telling the best way to accomplish this.

What are your guys though about the clutch kits and exhaust companies.

Thanks

Charlie
Cape Coral, FL
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 07:34 AM
Loyal Member

what tire pressure are you running and what ply tires do you have ??

lowering tire pressure for sand running helps a bunch .. I run sand at 3-4 lbs but I also have 8 ply tires so not a big deal to run on dirt roads getting there[to sand] but constant low speed in sand is VERY hard on these rigs especially running high gear , best to run them hard n fast on sand .. get up on top of it and run fast .... also keep an eye on water temps in sand.

as to exhaust pipe .. I don't like the loud noise and sure don't like it in a pack of rigs and following someone's noisy ass rig

clutch kits .. some run them I do not so far but I have extra power and really don't need more [XTZ here]

fan isn't a bad idea some here have one , I do not and have over 5000 trouble free miles [other than a failed de-compression devise so hard to no start until fixed]

2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!

Last edited by GTroyer; 03-15-2018 at 07:39 AM.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
what tire pressure are you running and what ply tires do you have ??

lowering tire pressure for sand running helps a bunch .. I run sand at 3-4 lbs but I also have 8 ply tires so not a big deal to run on dirt roads getting there[to sand] but constant low speed in sand is VERY hard on these rigs especially running high gear , best to run them hard n fast on sand .. get up on top of it and run fast .... also keep an eye on water temps in sand.

as to exhaust pipe .. I don't like the loud noise and sure don't like it in a pack of rigs and following someone's noisy ass rig

clutch kits .. some run them I do not so far but I have extra power and really don't need more [XTZ here]

fan isn't a bad idea some here have one , I do not and have over 5000 trouble free miles [other than a failed de-compression devise so hard to no start until fixed]

Normally I just get on top and run it, but I was following my brother in his buggy. Big mistake now. The tires I have on there now are the factory tires which pretty much suck. I am also thinking about the oil cooler to help keep the temps down especially once summer hits.

The noise on my Prowler is ridiculous in the cab. I am hoping that an aftermarket exhaust that points out the back will help with some of the noise.

Charlie
Cape Coral, FL
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 11:45 AM
Loyal Member

down in your neck O D woods I would think a oil cooler would be nice especially summer, many of us run synthetic oil to help that issue .. as you said factory tires suck big time, but selecting tires for the type of terrain you run in is important also. the factory one size fits all is good for them bad for us LOL

as to noise in cab every Prowler is noisy in stock trim and worse {IMHO} with aftermarket exhaust systems ... your not far enough away from the outlet

BUT ya have to keep in mind I'm an old fart and noise n bad hearing do not mix well .. 24/7 loud ear ringing is compounded by that noise , it's a personal thing I think.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
down in your neck O D woods I would think a oil cooler would be nice especially summer, many of us run synthetic oil to help that issue .. as you said factory tires suck big time, but selecting tires for the type of terrain you run in is important also. the factory one size fits all is good for them bad for us LOL

as to noise in cab every Prowler is noisy in stock trim and worse {IMHO} with aftermarket exhaust systems ... your not far enough away from the outlet

BUT ya have to keep in mind I'm an old fart and noise n bad hearing do not mix well .. 24/7 loud ear ringing is compounded by that noise , it's a personal thing I think.

I actually was thinking about an oil cooler, especially after this last trip. That might have helped keep the engine temps down. Belt and clutch kit ordered. Next will be tires and probably the oil cooler. My problem here is I run in sugar sand during the winter and mud during the summer. Makes it hard to choose a tire to do it all.

Charlie
Cape Coral, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement