What kit do you carry? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
What kit do you carry?

I know this depends on where you live and what type of riding you are doing but I thought it might be helpful if people posted some lists of the gear that they carry when riding. This will help some people be better prepared instead of being “that guy“. For example, list gear for when you’re stuck, List of tools that you carry, first aid kit, survival gear, etc....
Fairmont79 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 06:15 PM
Loyal Member

welcome to the house few beers

use the search feature and look for a thread that has a ton of info on that very subject

also you'll find that it differs greatly by the type of terrain of the riders and how many go out over prepared and many way under prepared

minimum is a tow rope or strap , a GOOD tire plug kit , a small electric air pump [the slime ones work great and are very small [remember emergency size]
some items required by many states .. fire extinguisher , shovel [GI type minimum usable IMHO ] and in some states water bucket [collapsable is fine ]

now it goes very different from there woods riders / hunters might have a bunch of recovery gear [I do and probably way too much] go find that threads about the subject as it's an interesting read.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 06:25 PM
Loyal Member

here is a good starting post , click on the link

http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/ve...very-gear.html

2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Welcome Fewbeers! Tool kit that will handle minor repairs, first aid kit, rain gear, tow rope, 2 quarts coolant, 1 quart oil, drinking water/snacks/energy bars, GPS, cell phones (2), Tire plugs/air compressor, and for road riding my AAA Road service card! LOL. We ride mostly trails around our area, and a cooler with cold drinks, and lunches are included. We are pleasure type riders, and do not trail blaze new routes!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 12:32 PM

Garage
Hey Fewbeers.........Welcome!! I asked a similar question not long ago and it really does depend on what you're gonna be doing. While RD isn't doing any trail blazing, I asked because that is what I'm actually preparing and hoping to get at this coming summer. Opening up a very neglected trail into the heart of the local Rockies, to make access to the Gargantua Cave system a whole lot easier than it just became because of trails from the other side closed down to motorized vehicles. So i'm one that will have a list of things that include a fair amount of recovery stuff, straps, snatch blocks, extra cable, and a winch for the back end. As well as chainsaws, axes, picks, big sledge hammer (for rock breaking), water, coolant, oil, tools to be able to at least do a clutch, a lithium jump pack (for boosting a dead machine), spare fuses, a small floor type jack, a spare tire along with a plug kit & pump, couple jugs of fuel, and then the usual of 1st aid, lunches, and so on......If worst came to worst it would be a 3.5 to 4 mile hike back out to where I would have the base camp. Anyway.....it's kind of an ongoing thing for me. I just know it's a bummer to be caught short!!!
Fairmont79 and Stump426 like this.

2010 Prowler 1000 XTZ Desert Red, hard top, Kolpin split front windshield, rear lexan window, RzR S bucket seats, 28" Swamp Lite tires, MotoAlliance Denali 72" Plow

I go by Paxx but you can call me anything you want......just don't call me late for supper!!
If you can't be good.......Be good at it!!!

http://www.northernliteaerocraft.com/
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 12:44 PM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxx View Post
Hey Fewbeers.........Welcome!! I asked a similar question not long ago and it really does depend on what you're gonna be doing. While RD isn't doing any trail blazing, I asked because that is what I'm actually preparing and hoping to get at this coming summer. Opening up a very neglected trail into the heart of the local Rockies, to make access to the Gargantua Cave system a whole lot easier than it just became because of trails from the other side closed down to motorized vehicles. So i'm one that will have a list of things that include a fair amount of recovery stuff, straps, snatch blocks, extra cable, and a winch for the back end. As well as chainsaws, axes, picks, big sledge hammer (for rock breaking), water, coolant, oil, tools to be able to at least do a clutch, a lithium jump pack (for boosting a dead machine), spare fuses, a small floor type jack, a spare tire along with a plug kit & pump, couple jugs of fuel, and then the usual of 1st aid, lunches, and so on......If worst came to worst it would be a 3.5 to 4 mile hike back out to where I would have the base camp. Anyway.....it's kind of an ongoing thing for me. I just know it's a bummer to be caught short!!!

might want to look at this rack for your style outings [much like mine except my long outings are usually long distance] contains the gear nicely only issue is you have to weld in a sub frame or better said mounting brackets or it will punch holes in the wanna- be bed.

Our Medium Racks | Colorado Rugged Racks

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 01:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTroyer View Post
might want to look at this rack for your style outings [much like mine except my long outings are usually long distance] contains the gear nicely only issue is you have to weld in a sub frame or better said mounting brackets or it will punch holes in the wanna- be bed.

Our Medium Racks | Colorado Rugged Racks
Which rack do you have? Or did you build your's yourself?

2010 Prowler 1000 XTZ Desert Red, hard top, Kolpin split front windshield, rear lexan window, RzR S bucket seats, 28" Swamp Lite tires, MotoAlliance Denali 72" Plow

I go by Paxx but you can call me anything you want......just don't call me late for supper!!
If you can't be good.......Be good at it!!!

http://www.northernliteaerocraft.com/
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 01:45 PM

Garage
Mine is fairly limited as my adventures are usually not very far but the conditions are rather harsh on the machine riding in sand, mud, and high levels of water during the summer months. My typical contents include a waterproof box with the basic tools to fix most items on the Prowler, cell phone, chargers, jumper cables, tow strap, snatch block for the winch, clevis, extra fuses, goggles for dry times, gloves, tire plug kit and emergency compressor, rain coat, and finally most important of all toilet paper. Oh yeah, always have a cooler with cold beverages and some snacks. In my opinion, my winch has been the single best thing on my Prowler.

Charlie
Cape Coral, FL
2014 Prowler 700 HDX Limited
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 06:28 PM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxx View Post
Which rack do you have? Or did you build your's yourself?

I have the one shown in the lower picture with custom modification of a closing gate on the back that doubles as a flat shelf when lowered ... use it for a table or BBQ shelf or repair shelf , when not loaded for a trip it's a containment for my Border Collie ... the lowering gate is expanded metal just like what it's made with

the mounting plate is needed I mentioned , need not ask how I know LOL ..... ok ok here goes the story .. I didn't do this when I bought it and now have four busted out corners where the rack punched through the bed .. I should have known better but wasn't "planning" on loading it on the upper shelf heavy , well that part didn't work out on a long outing LOL so now need to buy a inner bed and bace/mount the rack properly under the bed
Stump426 likes this.

Last edited by GTroyer; 03-21-2018 at 06:38 PM.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 08:02 PM

When I'm solo I carry pretty much what everyone else has. When the wife is with, I ditch all my stuff for her blow dryer, microwave, washer & dryer and full size closet mirror. And the Budlight gets thrown out for Coor's..... oh boy, I love my solo rides.........
Fairmont79, Stump426 and Firecat like this.

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and lights, lights and more lights!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement