2015 Prowler 500 HDX - Oil and Lube - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

2015 Prowler 500 HDX - Oil and Lube

I usually take mine in to get serviced, but want to start doing this myself. Is there a guide anywhere on the best way? I can see the filter, and the fill plug. It's a bit cramped but doesn't seem too bad. How many grease fittings should I expect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 09:31 AM

Garage
Oil changes require some removal of skids or modifying to be able to access the filter without removal, as I've seen some here do. Arctic cat actually has a video help series on Youtube. This is the video for an oil change.

Oh.......BTW..........awesome that you are jumping into the 'do your own maintenance" ring. It is is very satisfying and helps a guy become much more acquainted with his ride!! Sooooooo where are you from?

2010 Prowler 1000 XTZ Desert Red, hard top, Kolpin split front windshield, rear lexan window, RzR S bucket seats, 28" Swamp Lite tires, MotoAlliance Denali 72" Plow

I go by Paxx but you can call me anything you want......just don't call me late for supper!!
If you can't be good.......Be good at it!!!

http://www.northernliteaerocraft.com/
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 11:39 AM

Garage
Just in case you are not aware, countrycat.com has a lot of helpful things for the prowler. The "Technical Information" link that is in the upper LH corner of the home page takes you to a page with links for all of AC's lines of machines. Clicking on the Prowler will take you to a page with links to service tips, service manuals, wiring diagrams, parts lists and accessory info. It's a very bookmark worthy resource.

2010 Prowler 1000 XTZ Desert Red, hard top, Kolpin split front windshield, rear lexan window, RzR S bucket seats, 28" Swamp Lite tires, MotoAlliance Denali 72" Plow

I go by Paxx but you can call me anything you want......just don't call me late for supper!!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Dealer service is nice, but doing it yourself is in-equaled! Gives you a perfect opportunity to learn your machine and take pride in what you do! I look at some of the labor rates and it is very high in some areas! My friend is charging 50.00 dollars an hour for labor in his shop.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 01:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont79 View Post
Dealer service is nice, but doing it yourself is in-equaled! Gives you a perfect opportunity to learn your machine and take pride in what you do! I look at some of the labor rates and it is very high in some areas! My friend is charging 50.00 dollars an hour for labor in his shop.
Amen!!!!!

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 01:44 PM

Garage
the hdx is a pretty easy machine to change oil on. i changed up and got myself an oil extractor for 18 bucks. its a life saver. every spring i drop the oil plug but since i get a couple thousand miles a year i just use the oil extractor the other times. to extract the oil i go through the dipstick on very level ground. i have checked how much i am getting out by pulling the oil plug. i would estimate im getting all but an ounce out.
the floor pan where the dog house is on other prowlers is all i take out. it gives me access to the oil filter but i only change that every thousand miles. oil is done every 500. take the seat off and you will see the rubber plug in the plastic seat pan. that gives you access to add oil. if im only doing my oil it takes me about 10 min. add more time for the filter. i am looking into a boat access port to put into the floor pan to access the filter. that would eliminate taking the floor pan out.

Oil Access Port

Stump426 and Creek.Jumper like this.

2012 700 Prowler HDX, re-routed intake, LXC cab with heat, HID headlights, tonneau box cover, Tusk TriloBite HD 8-Ply tires (27 inch), LED dome lights, Renegade Wicked Start RG30L-WS 600+ CCA Battery
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 05:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_crazy View Post
the hdx is a pretty easy machine to change oil on. i changed up and got myself an oil extractor for 18 bucks. its a life saver. every spring i drop the oil plug but since i get a couple thousand miles a year i just use the oil extractor the other times. to extract the oil i go through the dipstick on very level ground. i have checked how much i am getting out by pulling the oil plug. i would estimate im getting all but an ounce out.
the floor pan where the dog house is on other prowlers is all i take out. it gives me access to the oil filter but i only change that every thousand miles. oil is done every 500. take the seat off and you will see the rubber plug in the plastic seat pan. that gives you access to add oil. if im only doing my oil it takes me about 10 min. add more time for the filter. i am looking into a boat access port to put into the floor pan to access the filter. that would eliminate taking the floor pan out.

Oil Access Port
Oil Extractor

what an awesome Idea. Nice lookin pump as well. Guess Ill be putting in the remote battery terminals right away

2012 Prowler HDX, 29"Big Horns, Commander UTV tracks, Curtis plow, 4000lb winch, Optima yellow top battery, Shark 1000 watt stereo, Sirius radio, LED lights, EBC Brakes, K&N filter, Outerwares prefilter, One way bearing delete & EPI clutch kit, EPI extreme duty belt
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 06:44 PM

No grease zerks anywhere that I know of. Everything is sealed. which sucks....

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and lights, lights and more lights!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
No grease zerks anywhere that I know of. Everything is sealed. which sucks....
Thanks Paxx - That video is not for my machine, but some of the links at country cat are useful.

cat_crazy: Great idea! That pump will serve me well. Its on order.

Does anyone know what size oil filter wrench is needed. Bryan if that's true, then yes that does suck! I mean it saves minutes at oil change time but parts will wear quicker.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 12:36 PM

Garage
Ya, I was aware that that's not your machine, but most of these prowlers don't vary too much. It's always a good idea to have the engine warm. Remove the plug and drain the contents. Make sure that the magnet on the plug is inspected and cleaned off, and if metal is found on it, I would remove the skid plate and then remove the square plate that the plug screws into and clean out the screen and that sump area. The filter may be easier or harder to get at, but it will be generally visible. Removal skid plate ( and I do this with an electric impact driver with a T30 in it......makes it quick) the filter is then very accessible without making a mess. Mile her up and put it all back together, and you're ready to go.

Yes Countrycat is a great site!!!
Fairmont79 and Creek.Jumper like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement