Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

spring start no start (its my turn)

7K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  Fairmont79 
#1 ·
well spring is here but you wouldnt know it by the snow on the ground. we have a ride coming up next weekend and i decided its time to get the old girl running again.
last time i rode it, it died and i had to be pulled home. its been one thing after another around here (a winter i would rather forget) so i never got back to it. well now i am pressed for time and it wont start still. i did the battery, new plug, checked spark (its good), poured gas into the cylinder (it started and ran great till it ran out) ect...
im down to checking the fuel pump. bad part is i borrowed my pressure gauge out a few years ago and i know its not coming back so im stuck till tomorrow.
the history...
i was out checking my game cameras in about 20 degree temps so i had the heater running the whole time. that thing is awesome. after about an hour i was in the bottom of the ****** and it backfired and died. didnt think much of it. i thought it was my tilt sensor so i pushed it down the hill and jumped into it. it fired back up. well on the way home it was backfiring alot. i went around a turn and it died, never to run again until i put the gas down the cylinder. i guess the tilt sensor could be the issue but you would think it wouldnt run at all even with gas down the cylinder.
and so begins my spring. if you have any ideas, please throw them out there. my brain is in winter brain fog mode so i may have overlooked something. ;)

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey there CC...... the tilt sensor only disrupts the fuel pump and does not effect spark. Fuel down a cylinder would still fire till that fuel is exhausted. Could be the tilt sensor, but from what I understand from reading in the service manual, the tilt mechanism totally resets itself after a second or so of being in the correct orientation. Could be that it is defective......there are some simple multi-meter tests to verify whether it is working correctly or not in the manual.

On another note:'a winter I would rather forget'.......I TOTALLY am tired of winter!!!! I Understand!!

#4 ·
well that was a fun one to try get out. im sure getting it back in will be worse. it would have been easier to take off if i took the storage box off infront of the drivers rear wheel. its located on the back side of the battery box.
anyway i got the tests back. it is out of spec but i believe it isnt the reason for not starting. in the straight up and down position it should read between .8 and 3 volts. it read 1.04 volts. next i tipped it over 60 degrees and took a reading. it should read between 4 and 8 volts. it read 3.14. so from what i am reading it is not able to shut it down if it tips over but it should run just fine on level ground. if im wrong please correct me.
well onto my fuel pressure tomorrow.

#5 ·
That sounds correct to me. I doubt that is the reason for not starting. For the cost ($56 at country cat and as low as $15 on eBay) to have one that is in spec, I would probably change it out while I have it out. Yup next I would check fuel pressure.

#6 ·
Sure sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Does the pump cycle when the key is turned on?

#7 ·
Does the pump cycle when the key is turned on?
yes it does. it runs for about 3 seconds. the pump has always had a wierd sound to it that worried me but it ran like a champ so i brushed it off. it didnt sound like any other prowler pump, almost like it had sand in the motor. 7k + miles on it so i guess i cant complain. im picking up a new psi gauge today to verify that issue. hopefully i can get the pump in time from country cat. i might be paying the hefty shipping to make that happen :eek:

#8 ·
Even as much racket as a Prowler makes, the owner can always pick up on something that is different! keep us posted, and hope you get it cured! Thinking 7K on the Prowler and all of the pump cycles related to that! These things are pretty well engineered!

Reactions: Paxx
#10 ·
I say that, 'that I totally agree', and I am still a new Prowler owner. However, I've been wrenching tonnes of different machines, ranging from dirt bikes to big street bikes to quads to airplanes to cheap cars to high performance cars to heavy diesel trucks and tractors to yard care equipment for my whole life. It all started with a 1969 honda 70 motorcycle when I but a very young lad, and now I have had call to do some previous owner carelessness caused repairs to this prowler. I have become more and more impressed with the thought and engineering that has gone into this machine. They are very well engineered and even though I like to cuss at engineers for their placement of things, and the unserviceability they have designed, and yes, maybe some of the parts are not as easily accessible as I may wish on this prowler, but I am very impressed with how little effort it actually takes to make those things accessible. I love that I have service manual that is truly readable, and that AC's specialty tools, for the most part, I can build myself in a pinch. Try that on a VW, or Mustang or even my recent Toyota!!!! I am impressed with how over-built this 70hp 1000cc engine seems to have been made. Sure, not all things are perfect, and that's why we have these groups, eh?, to help us work through those things that can be made a little simpler. But 7000 miles on a machine that is a slow moving, rock climbing, sand blasting, water swimming, snow pushing machine........ well ........that is amazingly well engineered.

Reactions: Fairmont79
#11 ·
i have to agree. i was scared when textron took over. the cat manual is pretty dang good and it was free. looks like they are keeping that tradition alive. also this rig of mine was bought to work. it hauls bales on a trailer, pulls the hay rake (why use the tractor lol), hauls rock, ect... and its average speed on the road is 35. any faster and you miss the seniory. my race days are over, i like to just tool along.

#12 ·
well i found the issue. i pulled the fuel line off the fuel rail and it went POOF! all air. i put the end into a jug and turned the key on and it puffed more air. did this for several cycles and finally some gas came out but it was surging. i put my new home built psi gauge in and hit the key. 5 pounds of pressure. i cycled it 5 times before it finally maxed out at 38 psi.
i called country cat and got a new one ordered 2 day express. all done and said for about 290 bucks. not bad for oem parts but still a kick in the shorts. :mad:

#14 ·
well i found the issue .......................... i put my new home built psi gauge in and hit the key. 5 pounds of pressure. i cycled it 5 times before it finally maxed out at 38 psi .......................
That is good news.......well......good news that you found what it is and and t's a straight forward repair!!!! I'd love to see pics of your "home built psi gauge"!!!!!! and hear how you built it!!!

#13 ·
Paxx, you said a mouthful! Hopefully Textron ill carry on with the TEXTRON/AC lineup as well.

#15 ·
Ya.......Kinda went a little strong, totally forgetting that AC is no longer AC!! I too hope that Textron continues the tradition. They've really scuttled the Prowler lineup already. A very very sport based lineup, which they've had a good rep for in the past, but really hoping their new Stampede and Havoc live up to tradition.

Reactions: Fairmont79
#16 ·
I have seen the Stampede and was impressed with the quality, and features. 80HP, dry sump oiling, extended cab! Priced to compete with the 900 Ranger. Time will tell on the after market support! Still thinking my next build will be a 1000!

#18 ·
well its running!

i didnt get the pump delivered yet though. i guess i will have a pump on the shelf. i was doing some work ahead stuff getting ready for the pump tomorrow and decided to pull the fuel pump out. once i had it out i noticed the sock kind of turned when i tipped it on its side. i grabbed the tube and it was loose. once i looked at the top clamp on the pickup tube it was broke. funny part was that was exactly where the fuel level was at so my brain started spinning thinking maybe it was sucking air from that spot. i took some galvanized wire and made my own clamp by twisting it on figuring i would test it. well when i hit the key my home brew fuel pressure gauge read 44 psi!!!! it was kind of a blur at that point, i got pretty excited but i hooked it back up and turned the key. it fired right up and purred like a kitten. :D

at this point i dont care i spent almost 300 on a pump. its running! now for the spring maintenance :)

#19 ·
good job and good find !

#20 ·
im thinking it was lucky. if i did this when i had my new pump i wouldnt have even thought about it. that clamp must have been broken from the factory. all i can think of is it had a tight enough seal until age, gas sloshing around, and vibrations caught up to the rubber causing the leak.

#22 ·
Those are the kind of repairs that make you smile! Thanks for sharing. Having parts on a shelf ain't a bad thing, just ask me! LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.