Trail tools for 2015 Prowler 500 HDX - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Trail tools for 2015 Prowler 500 HDX

Hi, planning some long distance trips this year and want to make sure i've got the tools for basic trail repairs..Does anyone know what to carry for this machine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 12:30 PM

Garage
As it happens, we've got a very current thread going on this right now. It can be found here: http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/ar...you-carry.html

2010 Prowler 1000 XTZ Desert Red, hard top, Kolpin split front windshield, rear lexan window, RzR S bucket seats, 28" Swamp Lite tires, MotoAlliance Denali 72" Plow

I go by Paxx but you can call me anything you want......just don't call me late for supper!!
If you can't be good.......Be good at it!!!

http://www.northernliteaerocraft.com/
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:09 PM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek.Jumper View Post
Hi, planning some long distance trips this year and want to make sure i've got the tools for basic trail repairs..Does anyone know what to carry for this machine?
what's long to you ? ... my longest was at 800 miles towing a off road trailer except when we side tripped and it was left in camp.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTroyer View Post
what's long to you ? ... my longest was at 800 miles towing a off road trailer except when we side tripped and it was left in camp.
Wow! I'm a rookie in that respect. I will probably do 120 mile round trip...but will be 50-60 miles from civilization and will have the wife and kids with me..so I want to be ready for all common issues.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:18 PM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Wow! I'm a rookie in that respect. I will probably do 120 mile round trip...but will be 50-60 miles from civilization and will have the wife and kids with me..so I want to be ready for all common issues.

Oh a normal outing Eh rarely go out for much shorter here ..... I fully understand the need you talk about.

might also think of heavier springs for the added weight of tools and family.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxx View Post
As it happens, we've got a very current thread going on this right now. It can be found here: http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/ar...you-carry.html
Thanks Paxx - I have read that and it has great info on general preparation. What I was looking for is more from a tool perspective for my machine - Sockets, Pliers, Jack, etc. since Im not that mechanically inclined.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTroyer View Post
Oh a normal outing Eh rarely go out for much shorter here ..... I fully understand the need you talk about.

might also think of heavier springs for the added weight of tools and family.
Was thinking the heavier springs just for myself...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 03:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Paxx - I have read that and it has great info on general preparation. What I was looking for is more from a tool perspective for my machine - Sockets, Pliers, Jack, etc. since Im not that mechanically inclined.
Ah yes........ I have a set of tools packed that I can pretty much tear it apart. A set of sockets that go big enough to do the clutch nuts with a long handle ratchet, A set of open/box end wrenches, An impact driver with extra battery, Appropriate torx sockets (most of mine are between #15-35) a high lift jack, a head lamp and a magnetic led light, blue and red loctite, blue/red rtv (for broken gaskets), #2 phillips and a flat screwdriver, a small pry bar, and then of course, oil and coolant and so on....... Probably forgetting stuff!!!

2010 Prowler 1000 XTZ Desert Red, hard top, Kolpin split front windshield, rear lexan window, RzR S bucket seats, 28" Swamp Lite tires, MotoAlliance Denali 72" Plow

I go by Paxx but you can call me anything you want......just don't call me late for supper!!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Damn an impact driver would make life easy! How High a jack do you need?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 05:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Damn an impact driver would make life easy! How High a jack do you need?
I prefer a fairly compact and light hydraulic floor jack with some blocking to be placed between jack and frame to able to make use of the full lift of the jack. Some actually carry a jack called "Hi Lift" https://hi-lift.com/hi-lift-jacks/utv-sxs/
Personally I find it bulky and hard to pack, and although great for lifting a machine really really high, if necessary, I find them unstable. I have used the farm version of such a jack, called a Jack All, for as long as I can remember. I've been unpleasantly surprised by them slipping/tipping/jumping more than once, with the machine I was jacking tumbling to the ground and me getting slapped by the jack or the handle more than once!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement