Spark plug issue - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Spark plug issue

I have an 09 prowler XTZ. It seems to be eating the rear spark plug. It'll run low on power or not at all. Replace the rear plug, then it's healthy again. Repeat. The old cap was broken a while back so I replaced it with a 90 degree cap. Yall think I need to replace the coil and wire for that cylinder? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 10:06 AM
Administrator

I'd try the factory wire and boot. They wear with age. My boot came apart inside, only noticed it when the connecter fell out! One way to tell is swap your coils and see if the problem develops in the front cylinder.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 10:13 AM
Loyal Member

as above test that bad boy out before spending any $$$$ , your rig has some years of age and may have some parts breaking down now.

you haven't added location so we have no idea as to ride terrain , much water on your normal ride areas ?

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

I thought about swapping the coils, but figured I'd post first incase it was a problem that seemed "common". So I guess I'll swap the coils and leave the caps in their current locations.

I'm in south Texas. I get in the water sometimes, but I don't believe I have any water issues.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Well finally got to start messing with it. Weirdest thing. Went to swap the plug and I couldn't get it started. Put in 2 new plugs and it still wouldn't. Checked the spark and the new plugs look weak to me and the old ones look pretty good. Injectors are spraying good. Used to be able to run it off of 1 cylinder and can't even do that. Are the old ones just losing, what appears to be, their good spark under compression? Did I just lose both coils at the same time?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 04:43 AM
Administrator

Check the coils for battery voltage with the key on. If they show 12 volts, check the wires. It is hard to believe both coils failed.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 11:12 AM

Garage
I agree that it is quite unlikely that both coils would crap out at the same time. Would appear to be something that is affecting the voltage that gets to the coils. Looking at the wiring diagram it shows that the coil wires are the orange ones. Orange gets it's voltage when the key is turned and the ignition relay is engaged. It then passes the 12V into a red/grey wire that feeds the orange through a 10A ignition fuse. The orange then powers quite a few different things including the ECU, fuel relay, fan relay, neutral relay, coils and more.

2010 Prowler 1000 XTZ Desert Red, hard top, Kolpin split front windshield, rear lexan window, RzR S bucket seats, 28" Swamp Lite tires, MotoAlliance Denali 72" Plow

I go by Paxx but you can call me anything you want......just don't call me late for supper!!
If you can't be good.......Be good at it!!!

http://www.northernliteaerocraft.com/
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 01:23 PM
Administrator

These things are really voltage sensitive, low voltage effects everything! Check your battery and make sure it is fully charged, and holds a charge.

Either - Dick or RD
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

So I did some ohming and this is what I've come up with. 570 across diode. 11.5 volts on battery which I've had lower and started with no issues, but unhooked the ground and am charging a little bit. Key off orange to ground 18 white and blue 23 on both coils. 6 through the coils. Key on orange 24 to hot white and blue 20 to hot front and rear orange 27 white and blue 34. 11.4 volts on both posts on both coils. Heads are grounded. I can't see how all of a sudden this would have become a timing issue... I'm also not sure how to double check the timing or how big of a job it may be.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 02:13 PM

Garage
I'd be surprised at a timing change as the timing is different chain for each cylinder. Well adjusted valves make a big difference in running at all rpms and a BIG difference in how easy it starts.

2010 Prowler 1000 XTZ Desert Red, hard top, Kolpin split front windshield, rear lexan window, RzR S bucket seats, 28" Swamp Lite tires, MotoAlliance Denali 72" Plow

I go by Paxx but you can call me anything you want......just don't call me late for supper!!
If you can't be good.......Be good at it!!!

http://www.northernliteaerocraft.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement