air intake - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

air intake

What's everyone's thoughts on the stock intake on the prowlers?

When I got the XTZ the previous owner ran the pre filter in front of the radiator. Connected by shop vac hose to the air box.

I got a ride coming up that is sure to be wet and muddy. So I want to do something just not sure what?

2012 XTZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 04:27 AM
Administrator

My 2009 XTX had the air intake located between the seats and the bed! Terrible area for air intake, and no pre-filter! I snorkeled mine with a riser between the seats and added a K&N cone type pre-filter. As far as a good area, in front of the radiator seems like a good location.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 06:27 AM
Loyal Member

IMHO IF you follow someone close in a dusty road condition your location won't matter much you get a ton of dust in the intake ..... but if you lag back to clear air and do the last guy waits at the turn your filter location would be fine and is RD's or any other guys snorkeled locations the XTZ location is a bad factory one for sure and snorkeling will help IMHO

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 06:35 AM

Garage
i havent worked with any prowlers other than the HDX model but i have to say the stock location for the HDX is a motor killer. i did the same and relocated the suction opening to the front of the radiator with a 2 inch trash pump hose. then i stuck my prefilter on the end of it.

i bought this rig used with a brand new motor because the previous owner sucked in dirt and blew it up. i was told it looked like someone threw a grenade at it. sad to say i did the same shortly after i bought it but i caught it in time. it just eats oil now but it has 6k on it since i caught it.

the only issue with the suction up front is when i hit water holes i bog and sometimes die because the water gets sucked in so easily. i need to get a waterproof pre filter wrap to fix that issue. i have not had any issue with rain as of yet and i have been in some really hard down pours. i have also been thinking of moving it behind the radiator but i dont like the idea of sucking in hot air. i have seen studys done on the chevy LLY duramax overheating issues and it was solved by relocating the air box suction away from the radiator with an updated duramax LBZ air box intake. being an engineer, im most likely over thinking this

here is what im looking at to try solve the water issue. i havent taken my measurements for the pre filter yet so this most likely is not the exact one i need but it will give you the idea of what to look for.

2012 700 Prowler HDX, re-routed intake, LXC cab with heat, HID headlights, tonneau box cover, Tusk TriloBite HD 8-Ply tires (27 inch), LED dome lights, Renegade Wicked Start RG30L-WS 600+ CCA Battery
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

I damn near ruined my ATV because the stock intake was above the radiator and went through a V shape ditch. So the water wasn't that deep but sucked it right up. I don't want to repeat that mistake. AC changed the design later to under the seat.

Behind the seat would be better for water, but worse for heat and dust. (Not worried about dust here for a little while anyway. )

2012 XTZ
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_crazy View Post
i havent worked with any prowlers other than the HDX model but i have to say the stock location for the HDX is a motor killer. i did the same and relocated the suction opening to the front of the radiator with a 2 inch trash pump hose. then i stuck my prefilter on the end of it.

i bought this rig used with a brand new motor because the previous owner sucked in dirt and blew it up. i was told it looked like someone threw a grenade at it. sad to say i did the same shortly after i bought it but i caught it in time. it just eats oil now but it has 6k on it since i caught it.

the only issue with the suction up front is when i hit water holes i bog and sometimes die because the water gets sucked in so easily. i need to get a waterproof pre filter wrap to fix that issue. i have not had any issue with rain as of yet and i have been in some really hard down pours. i have also been thinking of moving it behind the radiator but i dont like the idea of sucking in hot air. i have seen studys done on the chevy LLY duramax overheating issues and it was solved by relocating the air box suction away from the radiator with an updated duramax LBZ air box intake. being an engineer, im most likely over thinking this

here is what im looking at to try solve the water issue. i havent taken my measurements for the pre filter yet so this most likely is not the exact one i need but it will give you the idea of what to look for.

Pre Filter Wrap
I dont ride in dust much but I run it all winter in all possible snow conditions and I find the stock location of the pre-filter on the HDX to be perfect.
Its right behind the driver seat just above waist height. So in order to suck in water you would have to be sitting in water.
Its also in a sealed section between the box and the seat.

Mine works very well and my primary filter is always clean. No dirt, dust or snow getting in there.

2014 500 HDX
Moose lift kit
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 08:29 AM

Garage
I personally snorkeled my HDX using 2" PVC and Fernco's to add flexibility. The snorkels are routed up between the seats and the bed and sit about head height when sitting in the seats. For myself, I run in a lot of mud and water and have had no problems with water. I did just add a 4" exhaust fan to my belt intake, which should help keep it cool when going slower or under a load.

Charlie
Cape Coral, FL
2014 Prowler 700 HDX Limited
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 08:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wheelerdude View Post
Its right behind the driver seat just above waist height..
they changed the location then. mine was located under the pass seat. it was about 3 to 4 inches above the floorboard and a pain to get to. you had to remove the seats and plastic seat pan to access it. the worst was it was directly in front of the rear tire so it constantly sucked in dust. i had to clean the filter about every 100 miles and replace the air filter every 150 to 200 miles. 200 was pushing it. after relocating it to the front i change my air filter every 2000 miles and blow out the pre filter every oil change. it also made it much quieter. glad to see cat figured out the location was terrible and fixed that.

2012 700 Prowler HDX, re-routed intake, LXC cab with heat, HID headlights, tonneau box cover, Tusk TriloBite HD 8-Ply tires (27 inch), LED dome lights, Renegade Wicked Start RG30L-WS 600+ CCA Battery
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 08:52 AM
Administrator

First year XTZ used the area behind the drivers seat for a pre-filter and used a removable panel to access it. I picked up passenger, and driver side seat base panels for my 2009 XTX. It allowed easy access for electrical relays and solenoid for my upgrades! My snorkels are between the seats and at shoulder level, Air Intake with pre-filter, Clutch Air Our, and clutch air in with a fan. My belt temp at a steady 40mph cruise is 195, turning the fan on lowers it about 10 degrees!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD

Last edited by Fairmont79; 05-03-2018 at 10:04 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feed back.

2012 XTZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement