I think I broke my Motor! - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

I think I broke my Motor!

Had a great ride going! 7,800 RPM, all temperatures were good, oil at 265 in the sump, water temp 180, belt temp at 200! We were moving pretty good! Loud, very loud bang, then complete silence! Not so good! Only thing I heard was mama! LOL As quick as it happened I suspect it ate a valve! Motor is locked up! Sure glad I kept a spare! One less thing to move! I'll post some pictures as I tear it down! Love this machine! Any bets on what I'll find? BTW, I Love Carnage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD

Last edited by Fairmont79; 05-16-2018 at 06:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 07:01 AM
Loyal Member

sick I'm telling ya sick .... love carnage your sick LOL

well lets hope a seized .. OH that's right no one way , well good luck then

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Can't complain, the motor (big bore cylinder and cam) had about 7,000 miles on them! Thinking I'll put the stock displacement motor back in. Not sure if I can save any parts or not. Quick check on the oil and it didn't have any coolant in it! Once I get it in the shop I'll drain the oil and look for chunks! Top end will tell me everything that I need to know! Yeah if you don't break stuff you ain't trying hard enough! And to think I quit drag racing because this would be cheaper! LOL

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 08:54 AM

I must be one sick puppy because I can't wait to see pictures.

7k out of a modded motor seems pretty good to me.
Fairmont79 likes this.

2012 XTZ
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

We are in the process of selling our home so I had to do something to fill the garage back up! Actually I've had this motor down about 3-4 times from what I remember! Always tweaking something or other! Be interesting to see what I find! Takes more time to get to the motor than it does to pull it! Stay tuned!

Either - Dick or RD
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 11:10 AM

I hope this isn't contagious! Sounds like a dropped valve to me, too. I bet Pat was singing louder, after the motor let go, than the motor was at 7800 R's.
Fairmont79 likes this.

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and hardtop.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Got all the heat shields off, pulled the frame member behind the motor and removed the rocker arms. Motor was at TDC! Cam is great looking, and all of the valves are in the head with the retainers still on them! This indicates a much deeper issue! No metal in the top end! So did I break a piston skirt? Did the rod seize up? WTF! Stay tuned as I dig deeper! The removable frame member really provides a lot of room!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5616.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	47305   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5617.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	47313   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5618.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	47321  

Either - Dick or RD
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Had a helluva time getting the cam out! Motor is locked up solid! Had to work the timing chain off the gear and then pull the cam out! What ever broke was something expensive! Yanking the cylinder shortly! That should tell the story!

Either - Dick or RD
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 03:36 PM
Loyal Member

well we're waiting on ya .. sicko lol

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Took the head off, head gasket showed no signs of leaking, yet it was pissing coolant after it quit! Looking at the piston and it appears cocked in the cylinder, one side is at deck height, and the other side is down enough that you can see it! One valve mark on the piston and it also appears to be turned in the cylinder! I'll post pictures later. Piston seems to be free in the cylinder, so what ever locked the motor up is in the bottom end! Chunk of mangled piston? Thinking this is why I like Top Fuel motors! When they fail, they do so in style! Worse case is a put my other motor in! Hopefully I can salvage the crank and rod.

Either - Dick or RD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement