700 XTX rear differential - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

700 XTX rear differential

I have a 2008 700 XTX with about 350 miles on it. Since new this thing is lurchy(is that a word) and just not smooth operating. Dealers agree I will give you whiplash, but don't how to fix it. I always figured something in the clutch/belt system. When I finally started my own exam, the drive shaft turns about 3/4 to a full turn before the rear end engages. Is this normal? It seems like a lot of slack which cannot be good for it. How do I fix it or tighten it up? I appreciate anyone's input. This has been a long ongoing issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 09:22 PM

mine is jerky and I don't have a turf saver.

2012 XTZ
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 04:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKFirefighter73 View Post
I have a 2008 700 XTX with about 350 miles on it. Since new this thing is lurchy(is that a word) and just not smooth operating. Dealers agree I will give you whiplash, but don't how to fix it. I always figured something in the clutch/belt system. When I finally started my own exam, the drive shaft turns about 3/4 to a full turn before the rear end engages. Is this normal? It seems like a lot of slack which cannot be good for it. How do I fix it or tighten it up? I appreciate anyone's input. This has been a long ongoing issue
Sounds like your Turf Saver rear end has failed. Lot of reported issues on the Turf Saver. It was only used 2008-2010 on 700 XTX machines. Many have switched to the 700 XT rear end that is a spool type (locked). Later model 700 differential will work, but you also need to change the rear inner CV Joints, or complete axles. It is cheaper to replace the rear end, and axles than it is to replace the Turf Saver! I've seen used Turf Savers on the market, but you may be buying what you already have! There are no rebuild kits for the Turf Saver!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Yikes! That doesn't sound good. I have heard horror stories about the turf saver. This thing has been like this since the day it came home new, and it still tears the heck out of a lawn when you turn. Thanks everyone for the info. I'll start part shopping.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 02:11 PM
Administrator

If you have had this issue since new, drain the differential lube and refill with the AC friction modified lube. If it is acting like a locked rear the clutch pack sounds like it is dry. Try and heat the lube to thin it out and refill the differential. Jack the rear end up and see if you can get either wheel to free wheel. I'd recommend over filling the rear at this point, rotate the wheels by hand and try and keep the fluid warm (I bought a el cheapo hairdryer for this). It is surprising the amount of heat you can generate with the dryer. Amsoil, and several others make a gear lube with a friction modifier. I have over 7,000 miles on my Turf Saver! The only thing I've done is change the lube 3-4 times a year! I have a locked rear in mine now, but plan on putting the Turf Saver back in! I pulled it for snow plowing. I'd try this before ordering any parts! Good Luck!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Ya it's been like this since new. In fact when the guy pulled it from the show room floor he hit the throttle and bashed his head against the head rest when things finally came together. Didn't think much of it, it was my first Cat. I am getting new rear end lube, but to be clear, I should be able to raise the rear wheels and one should free wheel. Like a full size limited slip.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

This whole ordeal Is why it only has 350 miles on it. I have already received better information than years of several dealers. Thanks again
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:29 PM

It's not like a limited slip on a truck. It suppose to work like a Detroit locker. This means that a wheel can spin faster than the ring gear but not slower. I believe some slack is the nature of the design. If it was a limited slip like a truck you could turn better and damage less turf.

RD has gotten years out of his with frequent oil changes with the right fluid. I think a lot of the horror stories are due to improper fluid use. Plus not understanding how this type of axle works. They are very popular with the Jeep crowd.

2012 XTZ
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 04:38 AM
Administrator

[QUOTE=Firecat;404018]It's not like a limited slip on a truck. It suppose to work like a Detroit locker. This means that a wheel can spin faster than the ring gear but not slower. I believe some slack is the nature of the design. If it was a limited slip like a truck you could turn better and damage less turf.

RD has gotten years out of his with frequent oil changes with the right fluid. I think a lot of the horror stories are due to improper fluid use. Plus not understanding how this type of axle works. They are very popular with the Jeep crowd.[/QUOTE

The rear end is by Eaton, but no service packs are available. Where a Detroit Locker uses a ratchet type mechanism, the Prowler unit has a clutch pack similar to the early GM/Ford/Mopar posi traction units. I remember those units when brand new as sounding and feeling like the end of the world! Dry Clutch plates!

Either - Dick or RD
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 04:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKFirefighter73 View Post
Ya it's been like this since new. In fact when the guy pulled it from the show room floor he hit the throttle and bashed his head against the head rest when things finally came together. Didn't think much of it, it was my first Cat. I am getting new rear end lube, but to be clear, I should be able to raise the rear wheels and one should free wheel. Like a full size limited slip.

Short Version YES! Another thing to consider is (just reaching here!) is the throttle pedal! Mine was very hard to get used to, a lot of jerky starts, and the wife refused to drive it. It was a total challenge on rocky terrain, throttle control was all over the board! I switched the pedal spring with the lighter weight spring from a 2009 650 XT. It was a very cheap fix! Like 5 dollars! Later I installed a ThrottleMaxx pedal!

Either - Dick or RD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement