spectator deaths at race - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

spectator deaths at race

This might not be the place but prayers for the spectators, family members and the drivers of that offroad race. I love those type of races and if they were held around here I could have been right there in the crowd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 06:25 PM

I haven't heard anything about this but it is very unfortunate. My prayers will definately be with these families.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!

07 Prowler 650 H1 XT
3000lb. Warn winch
2" lift by Highlifter
30" Silverbacks on 14" SS112's
FMF Powercore exhaust
Dynatech CDI box
rejetted with Jets R Us OEM jets
stage 1&2 by ///AIRDAM
clocked secondary to B3
19 gram rollers (red)
2" snorkel by me
chrome skull shifter
LED tail lights in bed by me
fog lights
roof
custom doors by me
custom removable rear cage by me & friends
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:58 PM
Loyal Member

Been reading about this. So sorry for everyone involved. Sure the driver is feeling pretty low right now.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 11:06 AM
Jounior Member

August 14th marks one of the darkest days in off-road racing history in North America | race-deZert.com

Quote:
August 14th marks one of the darkest days in off-road racing history in North America.

During the MDR California 200 in Lucerne,CA a race truck in the 1450 pre-runner class went off the race course into a large group of spectators killing at least 8 and leaving more wounded.

Off-Road racing in the desert is held in open unpopulated desert areas common to the southwest of the United States. These areas are designated Off Highway Recreational Areas and are open to the public. Last Saturday, MDR organized a night race as part of the their race series in Lucern, CA near Soggy Lake that attracted 87 entries and many spectators alongside the 60-mile race course. This being on open public land, desert crowds gathered all along the course to watch the race cars go by.

Soon after the start approximately 2 miles into the race one of the race trucks went off the designated course into a group of spectators, coming to a stop up-side down. Some people where trapped under the vehicle. The spectators took quick action and slowed down following race cars and gave first-aid to those in need. There were many spectators on-hand that had first-aid experience and they rushed to the scene without any hesitations most likely saving lives due to their actions.

Soon the CHP, BLM and Fire Department took over. Multiple helicopters rushed injured spectators to nearby hospitals.

California Highway Patrol started a detailed accident investigation. There are false reports on some media outlets that the driver had to flee the scene due to assaults from an angry mob. This is not true and CHP released the driver free to go without any charges filed at the moment.

Desert racing over the years has adopted many safety standards such as personal safety equipment and technical inspections to all race competitors. Crowds are advised to stay clear of the race course and often the race promotor marks safety lines alongside the race course spectators have to follow.

A safety wall or fence, common in other forms of motorsports, is simply unrealistic as races are held on large public lands. How do you fence in hundreds of desert miles?

The entire off-road community grieves over the loss of human lives. We are one off-road family and will hold together in this dark time. There will be many questions, some answers and some solutions down the road that will make desert racing an even safer sport.

If you feel as helpless as we all feel right now but feel the need to reach out and help then please donate towards the California 200 fund fast-aid.org

Fast Aid is a non profit organization that has been in place to offer fast financial aid where it counts. FAST-Aid
Ive donated. This hit pretty close to home as one of the deceased was a friend of a friends. I was also supposed to be at this race, but didnt have enough time to make it as im still prepping my buddies bike for Vegas to Reno.

2009 Orange XTZ
Prestige Motorsports 4 seat cage, tie rods. UtvInc skids, half doors. 1.5in wheel spacers.

http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/ar...html#post37739
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Founding Member

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Jounior Member

Mango racing just donated $50k. My hats off to them!

2009 Orange XTZ
Prestige Motorsports 4 seat cage, tie rods. UtvInc skids, half doors. 1.5in wheel spacers.

http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/ar...html#post37739
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Loyal Member

Honestly though it was only a matter of time. Saw to many videos of spectators in baja standing way to close to off road racers doing 100 mph. People have got to realize that they can't get out of the way fast enough standing that close to the course. I hate to say it but this will get ugly with lawyers and insurance companies.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Jounior Member

Unhappy

after watching the news footage i cant believe that this hasn't happened sooner or involved more spectators. Standing that close has its risks it has happened and will happen again! if people are allowed to watch from that close id say they are at more risk standing there than any of the racers are in the trucks.
that being said it doesn't help the victim's of this crash I'm sorry it happened and hopefully it doesn't become a legal witch hunt and some good will somehow come from their loss.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 09:09 PM
Lifetime Member

Guys I have they same thoughts, they were to close to the race course especially with kids and stuff.

But that is part of desert racing. You can get close if you want, you can stand on the outside of corners if you are dumb enough or next to a big jump. The drivers are not going to do 15mph within 50 feet of spectators like the rules say, you would be pissed if they did.

America is one of the only places that the car races have set spectator stands. All over the world you stand along the race course at your own risk. Yes America is safer but in this case I have reservations i guess. I like the freedom of desert!!!!

It will just go back to Baja probably, don't like that at this time.

RIP and Godspeed to the poor people involved, My prayers are with you!

Brett it was not your fault, it was just racing. in my prayers!!!

http://utvweekly.com/index.php/2009/11/ricks-arctic-cat-prowler-1000/
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 10:21 PM

Here-hear!

Ditto GP! Wasnt the drivers' fault but life as he knew it is over - just as the spectators who died as well as thems who mourn them!

I used to attend ADRA races and was on a pitcrew for a heavy metal truck. it amazed me how close folks would want to get to the action! We always stationed ourselves high enough that a TOTALLY out-of-control vehicle couldnt squish us.

I am certain this will be another opportunity to introduce and forcefeed new laws to protect the ignorant from their own ignorance.

Rest in peace spectators... rest in peace Lady Liberty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamisProwler View Post
Guys I have they same thoughts, they were to close to the race course especially with kids and stuff.

But that is part of desert racing. You can get close if you want, you can stand on the outside of corners if you are dumb enough or next to a big jump. The drivers are not going to do 15mph within 50 feet of spectators like the rules say, you would be pissed if they did.

America is one of the only places that the car races have set spectator stands. All over the world you stand along the race course at your own risk. Yes America is safer but in this case I have reservations i guess. I like the freedom of desert!!!!

It will just go back to Baja probably, don't like that at this time.

RIP and Godspeed to the poor people involved, My prayers are with you!

Brett it was not your fault, it was just racing. in my prayers!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement