Front differential - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Front differential

Good morning everyone. I backed my Prowler out of the garage this weekend to clean it up some more and notice oil on the ground. Area from which it came from was the front differential. Any ideas of what on the differential could have leaked or known problems?

Thanks in advance

Charlie
Cape Coral, FL
2014 Prowler 700 HDX Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 09:24 PM

Only place to leak is an axle seal or input (driveshaft) seal. Check the vent, they get plugged up and under pressure can cause a seal to leak. Just in case you DO trade her off, drop the level, clean it off and let the new owner owner figure it out.... OH, I"M JUST KIDDING!!! I would never do that....
CCProwlerhdx likes this.

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and hardtop.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well...I finally got into working on the front diff last night. The diff had water mixed with oil which is probably why I was losing 4wd. Once I manage to get the diff out, I plan on cleaning it up, putting new seals in and putting it back together. Any ideas on how water is getting in? The vent looks like just a sealed accordion type on the top. Should I take that off and run a line all the way up to my snorkels?

Charlie
Cape Coral, FL

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:34 PM

I don't think that's gonna make you loose the workings of the front dif. Its not good for the bearings or gears, but mechanically it shouldn't keep it from engaging or disengaging. Its probably the actuator, if that's whats going on. How much water was in it?

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and hardtop.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
I don't think that's gonna make you loose the workings of the front dif. Its not good for the bearings or gears, but mechanically it shouldn't keep it from engaging or disengaging. Its probably the actuator, if that's whats going on. How much water was in it?

There was quite a bit but at least it still had some oil in it. The inside looks good and still moves freely. I was wondering about the actuator also but it seems to function correctly. Next option are the cv axles.

Charlie
Cape Coral, FL
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 07:00 PM

I think I know the problem! The switch's contacts may be dirty. Mine did this about a year ago. Spray WD40 in the switch on the dash and work the crap out of it. Don't use contact cleaner! It melts the plastic and ruins the switch! I spray WD into my switches religiously. Its cheaper than replacing them every few years.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 10:04 PM

If your in water a lot, I would suggest extending the accordion up higher. Filling to the proper level is very important, very easy to overfill.

2012 XTZ
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 07:19 AM
Administrator

I found a similar puddle under mine, turned out that the passenger side axle had popped out. I've since switched to the newer White Collar Axles. Also the actuator has several O-Rings that may leak. The bellows if in good condition is sealed, the seals on the differential could allow water in if they are in bad shape, or the O-Rings could have worn out. Any or all could be a source of a water/lube leak.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont79 View Post
I found a similar puddle under mine, turned out that the passenger side axle had popped out. I've since switched to the newer White Collar Axles. Also the actuator has several O-Rings that may leak. The bellows if in good condition is sealed, the seals on the differential could allow water in if they are in bad shape, or the O-Rings could have worn out. Any or all could be a source of a water/lube leak.

Now that I have pulled the diff out "which was a royal pain until I figured out the process" I believe the seals are good and it was just overfilled due to water being in them. I think my next step is inspect everything this weekend, reinstall, and extend the vent up to the dash. I'm also going to drain and extend the vent for the rear diff as well.

Charlie
Cape Coral, FL
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecat View Post
If your in water a lot, I would suggest extending the accordion up higher. Filling to the proper level is very important, very easy to overfill.

Doing that this weekend on both the front and rear.
Fairmont79 likes this.

Charlie
Cape Coral, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement