Plowing snow with your UTV - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Plowing snow with your UTV

Just dropping in for an advise regarding plowing snow.
Well I have the new 2018 Polaris Ranger now. However I guess my question will be equally important for you good old Prowler guys: How do you set your Prowler for plowing snow?
How to set front/rear shocks and weight in rear box. (Like yours, my ranger also have 5 settings on the shocks).

RD - enjoy following your moving thread! Have a good time!!
Fairmont79 likes this.

650 xt 2008 SOLD
2018 Polaris Ranger 1000 XP

Last edited by Johan82; 09-05-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 06:11 AM
Loyal Member

I didn't use my Prowler for plowing I used my Jeep CJ7 with a Meyers plow ... but my feeling is the shocks should be set to maximum stiffness as you'll be loading the entire suspension when plowing and you need the control , I did not need added weight but think the Prowler might if your snow is the heavy wet type .
you will be loading the front with the snow and plow load in front of the rig and that might unload the rear tires , trial and error is going to give you a better idea I'm sure.
have fun with you new rig

I no longer have to plow as I live in an area south of Northern Idaho , now in Reno Nevada area and we don't see the snow I did in Idaho .. it more of a occasional play snow usually but occasional heavy dump hit's us and then use the walk behind snow plow as it's drive way and sidewalk "plowing" now ... my plow is sitting at a friends home in Idaho waiting for another friend to move to Montana where he will need a good plow so I'm going to give him my Jeep/plow combo.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 06:39 AM
Lifetime Member

Garage
I do stiffen my shocks as much as I can, but I'd put the plow on and raise it to see how much the front end drops, you may not need the stiffest setting depending on the spring rating and the weight of your plow. My plow is around 100 lbs, a poly might be lighter, and then if you went all out with a BOSS plow with hydraulics it would be a lot heavier.

As for weight in the rear, I always add enough to counter the weight of the plow. Especially with the Prowler's engine sitting in the middle the rear is really light with the plow lifted. I was driving down a snow packed street, hit a little dip in the road and did an unexpected U-turn! It was enough to bounce the plow and the rear lost traction. Now the Ranger is quite a bit heavier than the Prowler and the engine sits more toward the rear which should help a lot.
Looks like Polaris sells a spring kit to help with the extra weight: https://ranger.polaris.com/en-us/sho...plows/2876758/

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 11:21 AM

I have a 60 inches Click n Go on my Prowler and I dont change the shock settings because I like a soft ride in winter too, but I install coil rubber spacers in the front during winter.

No weight or spacers needed in the back.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2PCS...ceBeautifyAB=0

2014 500 HDX
Moose lift kit
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 02:35 AM

With my 2018 Ranger 1000 I have the tracks from my Prowler on it and I leave the shocks in standard factory settings without issue even with the plow extension for the tracks. I have the factory Polaris Glacier HD plow

Tim

2010 A/C XTZ with some "Stuff" SOLD
But still here everyday to contribute to the cause
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 04:17 AM

Geez, snow plow talk already! That's it.... RD, any houses for sale in your neighborhood?
Just joking... I actually like plowing, that's the only time its legal to drive them in town. I adjust mine up about 1/2", and put three, pound sand bags in the back. If anyone gets stuck, I can just open a bag and pour it on the road for traction for them.
Fairmont79 likes this.

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and hardtop.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 02:28 PM
Administrator

I let mine squat when plowing, but my driveway was only about 75 ft. X 20 ft. Now I more than likely own the only snowplow in Kingman AZ. LOL

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for answers guys. I think i will try an fail method, and go from there. My Prowler was pretty front heavy with the warn steel plow.
Fairmont79 likes this.

650 xt 2008 SOLD
2018 Polaris Ranger 1000 XP
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 12:44 PM

Garage
I have a 2010 XTZ 1000 that I bought with the intentions of mounting a plow. I have a 1/8 mile drive and a large yard that I keep clean........ as well as a 1/2 mile of county road that doesn't see the county plow near often enough for how easily it drifts in. I did not change the shock settings when I got the plow mounted as it did not sag all that much. I've got a 72" Denali plow made by MotoAlliance and I feel the Prowler handles it really well. I moved a tonne of snow last winter and am super pleased with the overall setup.
Fairmont79 and Johan82 like this.

2010 Prowler 1000 XTZ Desert Red, hard top, Kolpin split front windshield, rear lexan window, RzR S bucket seats, 28" Swamp Lite tires, MotoAlliance Denali 72" Plow

I go by Paxx but you can call me anything you want......just don't call me late for supper!!
If you can't be good.......Be good at it!!!

http://www.northernliteaerocraft.com/
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 06:12 AM
Administrator

These Prowlers will push a lot of snow!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement