Head Gasket??????????????? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By GTroyer
  • 1 Post By Diesel Racer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Head Gasket???????????????

My Prowler started a new act! The cooling fan comes on at 150 F, and it will cycle for the first 5-10 minutes of running. The upper hose heats up as normal, the bottom hose also heats up, but then (after 5-10 minutes) it begins to cool. I monitor the outside of the head for surface temp and it never exceeds 160. After the bottom hose cools I open the air bleed and nothing comes out! There is no trace of oil coolant contamination, no leaks in the system that I can find. I'm thinking a cracked cylinder head that starts to allow combustion gases into the coolant passage as it warms up. I would think a leaking head gasket would only get worse. I have a new water pump, and the thermostat is fine.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 03:13 AM

So when you opened up the bleeder nothing came out or "air" came out or coolant came out. NAPA sells combustion block testers that you draw coolant vapor through the blue fluid and if it goes yellow then it detected hydrocarbons "combustion gas" I use them on the Ford Diesels as a pregnancy test kit. If you are yellow then you are pregnant..

Tim

2010 A/C XTZ with some "Stuff" SOLD
But still here everyday to contribute to the cause
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Racer View Post
So when you opened up the bleeder nothing came out or "air" came out or coolant came out. NAPA sells combustion block testers that you draw coolant vapor through the blue fluid and if it goes yellow then it detected hydrocarbons "combustion gas" I use them on the Ford Diesels as a pregnancy test kit. If you are yellow then you are pregnant..
Thanks Tim, I'll head over to NAPA this am! Gotta enjoy my morning coffee out back watching the sunrise over the mountains!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 09:53 AM
Loyal Member

bubbles in the coolant or oil showing there ? leak down test done [IIRC you have the test kit] ????? shouldn't be to hard to find with one cylinder

damn head gaskets sometimes don't show up correctly sometimes LOL

I've had them work fine until I got some good boost like Diesel Racer .. once pressured the head lifts a lil bit but only above 20 or so lbs boost . even the studs that help control along with O Ringed head at each cylinder help hold the pressure but anything near 80+ lbs boost starts lifting the head DAMN THINGS . BUTT good news I no longer take it there . too old and too $$ expensive to repair not to mention lifting that damn head off with this old busted up body LOL
Fairmont79 likes this.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 03:19 AM

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7001006
Fairmont79 likes this.

Tim

2010 A/C XTZ with some "Stuff" SOLD
But still here everyday to contribute to the cause
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTroyer View Post
bubbles in the coolant or oil showing there ? leak down test done [IIRC you have the test kit] ????? shouldn't be to hard to find with one cylinder

damn head gaskets sometimes don't show up correctly sometimes LOL

I've had them work fine until I got some good boost like Diesel Racer .. once pressured the head lifts a lil bit but only above 20 or so lbs boost . even the studs that help control along with O Ringed head at each cylinder help hold the pressure but anything near 80+ lbs boost starts lifting the head DAMN THINGS . BUTT good news I no longer take it there . too old and too $$ expensive to repair not to mention lifting that damn head off with this old busted up body LOL
No oil/water mix! I keep thinking that a head gasket leak would keep getting worse, but this is staying the same

Either - Dick or RD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement