Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

8ft Trailer

6K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  cat_crazy 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I just bought a 2017 Prowler 500. Can anyone tell me if I can haul it on a 8ft trailer? Or does it require 10ft?

#2 ·
If the trailers rated for the Prowlers weight and it fits, the 10 foot.... maybe. My trailer is 14' I have about 2 foot to spare in the front and about 3 foot in the back. My straps take the rest of the room.
All you can do is try it.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum and Prowler ownership, Jon Jess

I am unfamiliar with the 2017 Prowler 500, but my 2008 / 2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 Baja measures right at 10 feet overall in length and about 64" overall width. It weighs about 1500 lbs. The shortest trailer I would use is a 14" which would give me 2 feet at each end to attach tie down straps. That said. I use a longer trailer so I can mount a full size aluminum truck box to the bed in front of the machine.

#4 · (Edited)
Something else to consider when buying a trailer is: tongue weight. Tongue weight is the weight of the trailer tongue on the hitch. Recommended weights are between 9% and 15% of the total weight of the trailer and load. Too light and the trailer can develop a dangerous sway condition (trust me on this - I have personal experience - I almost lost one of my race cars AND my tow vehicle) and too heavy can damage the hitch or rear suspension (I damaged my Prowler hitch with too much tongue weight because I was too lazy to check it before hooking it up) or adversely affecting the steering of the tow vehicle.

A little extra trailer length helps in fine tuning tongue weight by being able to move your Prowler forward or rearward before strapping in place.

Here is a link to the Google topic -
https://www.google.com/search?q=tra.....69i57j0l5.8031j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

#5 ·
I have a 16 700 HDX XT and a 14 ft trailer would not want anything shorter, the machine is about 10 ft 6" long then add front and rear bumpers and front mounted LED lights it has to be 11 ft or better, doesn't leave any extra room, as to cost I know after getting a machine funds can be a little short, I got mine last summer and a new trailer not from the same place, the trailer with the tax and stuff was just under 1600.00 I didn't think that was to bad considering the cost of the Cat and I know it is on something decent when towing

#7 · (Edited)
#8 ·
when I see a post like this and no response months later from original poster I tend to think why did you post at all ..

might be the type of guy who tries to pull a heavy 30+ foot trailer with a half ton truck ... ala wants to get buy as cheep $$ as he can to heck with safety or common sense

#9 ·
My first thought was that the post was the beginning of a series of posts being made by a scammer gaining credibility before striking with a scam post. I still have no faith that the post was intended to be a rea[ question looking for a real answer.

#10 ·
When I see anything being carried that high on a pickup truck, I wonder how top heavy they become! Not for the timid! LOL

#11 ·
10 ft would be the minimum, I would think. My prowler pro is 123" long and I pull it on a 10ft JP trailer. The front nose sticks over the rail and the tires touch the front rail. The back end practically touches the fold up ramp gate.

I triple tow it behind a 39 ft fifth wheel so my overall length was a deciding factor to cram it on a 10 ft trailer. 12 ft would have been more practical.

#12 ·
i bought a 16 foot car trailer. double axles are the cats meow. with the extra length i can balance my 2012 hdx and carry alot more gear. i even hauled another atv at the same time as my hdx. they pull very well and the price was only 1200 bucks.

Reactions: Retired1
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.