Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

Prowler 700xtx clutch

4K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Fairmont79 
#1 ·
Hello out there. I have a prowler and was wondering if anyone could tell me why the splines all sheared off of the fixed primary clutch sheeve? I am going to replace it but was wondering if I still have a problem that will do the same to the new one. Thank you

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Good question for RD. Mike or Tim! I have no idea, myself.

#4 ·
'll bump it up for a ya!

#6 ·
a better description is needed here I believe , sheared off in what way , need a better mind picture of what your saying to jog some thoughts of what may have happened

#7 ·
The splines on the stationary clutch sheave (the closest to the motor) are stripped out. I had it worked on not long before it stripped and I suspect that they didn't tighten it up good but I dont know that. I just know that it stripped out and am worried that it will do it again but I cant think of any reason for it to do that unless it was left loose. Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Wow.......you'd never know there was ever a spline in there!!!! That is very very unusual!!!! I've got no suggestions other than your thoughts of maybe being loose....... ???? Crazy!!

#11 ·
I've run across that before, usually caused by the primary nut backing off and allowing the fixed plate to self destruct! I've found that the old style nut would lose tension after reuse. I started changing the nut after three cycles of tightening. I lost a fixed plate at Hatfield/McCoys after day 2 of a 5 day ride! Really sucked! Nobody had any fixed plates in that area. The new style nut is the way to go!

#15 ·
Is it normal to smell the belt a little after it warms up. It only does it at a faster speed. I only noticed it after I put the windshield on it. Thinking it was doing it before but just couldn't smell it because the wind just blew through and blew the smell away. I have never had anything belt driven so didn't know if it was normal to smell a little belt when it got hot or not.

#17 ·
Belt may have been glazed when the fixed plate failed. They will slip a lot. There are a lot of odors when running these things, some are fine, others not so much! When the belt starts smoking, you know there is an issue!

#19 ·
Always here for the Prowler People! Stay connected! Little late here, but welcome to the forum!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.