Tires,which are the toughest in the rocks? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Tires,which are the toughest in the rocks?

Looking for feed back on which tires you all think are the most resistant to damage from rocks and stumps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 03:01 PM
Jounior Member

This post is revelent to my intrests.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 03:40 PM

I have og bighorns on the rhino for 2-years now. Its been to Mozb Ut. two times to Ky. once and a lot of riding here in Ohio and not one flat and the still look like new. I got 589s on my quad since 2004 and not one flat but they are showing wear and they ride rough. I put light truck buck shot mudders on the XTZ and rode it a lot in Ohio but only had them on a few months so not sure about them. I know a lot of peeps Here in Ohio and in Co. that swear by the og bighorns.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 12:19 AM
Jounior Member

I just replaced my ITP Bajacross as I had multiple punctures (including sidewall) and tore a lug which created a big leak... I recently bought the Pit Bull Rocker XOR UBER. Need to get them mounted, but they look like bad ass and the sidewalls look much stronger than the Bajacross.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 01:29 AM
Rides all the time

I am thinking of something less aggressive than my mudlite xtr's 27".

Are you interested in them?

They have done well no punctures from rocks or stumps.

No match for the roofing nail I pulled out of the left rear. Plugged and held air all summer.

Let me know.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddler28 View Post
i am thinking of something less aggressive than my mudlite xtr's 27".

No match for the roofing nail i pulled out of the left rear. Plugged and held air all summer.

Let me know.
no i dont wanna go bigger then 26`s or that aggressive of tread pattern.everywhere ive been riding lately is very little mud and a bunch of big rocks.and i know if your gunna get a sidewall your gunna get it even with a ten ply. But im still thinkn something tougher then oe for sure.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddler28 View Post
i am thinking of something less aggressive than my mudlite xtr's 27".

No match for the roofing nail i pulled out of the left rear. Plugged and held air all summer.

Let me know.
what tires you thinkn bout goin to??
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 11:54 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Low View Post
I just replaced my ITP Bajacross as I had multiple punctures (including sidewall) and tore a lug which created a big leak... I recently bought the Pit Bull Rocker XOR UBER. Need to get them mounted, but they look like bad ass and the sidewalls look much stronger than the Bajacross.
Wow, I am totally surprised by that. The BajaCross tires have run the entire Baja 500 on one set and are considered the toughest tires for total abuse.
I agree that the PitBull XOR Ubers are great too. But make sure you get the 8ply XOR Ubers, not the 6ply tires.

Arctic Cat Prowler Desert Race XTZ: ITP BajaCross tires on ITP Beadlocks, Beard Super TZ Seats, Crowe 5pt harnesses, King Off-Road Racing Shocks, Custom Racing Chassis with 7 inch longer wheelbase, +5 Suspension set at 16 Front and 17 inches Rear inches travel, UTVINC did the tube bending
TEAM PROWLER NATION...
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Loyal Member

Darryl

If you ride with Sean (flying low) you will find that he is not aware that he has a brake pedal and he drives by feel. He feels a rock on the right he steers left! Just kidding Sean you drive fine. Here is the deal with tires and I will share my thought on the ones I have tried and tested. Darryl I agree with you about the ITP Baja Cross tires.

Team Arctic

The first set were the stock Maxxis Speed tire (6 ply radial)- Very light and responsive tire. These turn in fairly quick but do not hook very well and slide a lot on the hard pack. They are very soft on the side wall and puncture fairly easy.These are one of the lightest tires around.

The next set were the all mighty Big Horns (6 ply radial). Medium weight, turn like crap, great all around for straight line traction and climbs, some mud etc... I think the Big Horns are the most popular quad tire on the market so guys started using them on the UTV. The problem is that Quads weigh around 400 to 700 pounds and UTV are 1100 to 2000 pounds. I think the opinions of many that like this tire are favorable becuase it's the tire that they run and it's talked up by every forum around. They are not a bad tire for all types of terrain but they make the side x side turn like a 1948 Chevy truck. They push very bad and if you have long travel even more so.

Next tire and the ones I am running for another week are the ITP Baja Cross (8 ply radial) - These were recommended to me by a few guys and one of them was Darryl who has an extensive backround in racing and knows his stuff. Evertyhing Darryl told me about this tire was accurate. They turn in well and pull the car through the corners. The have a very stiff side wall and are one of the most punctuire resistant tires available today. Sean you must have had bad luck. The are very heavy at 34 pounds each and you will feel the seat of the pants difference in acceleration with this tire. The rotating mass is a huge negative factor when you run these and you do loose performance for sure. They hook up very well and can handle 90% of the terrain we all drive. They are a great tire if you want strength and traction and don't mind giving up a little performance.

The tires I have on order are the GBC Dirt Commander. These have been getting great reviews and have been proven in the Baja 500 and 1000 with wins. They are an 8 ply bias tire and weigh around 7 pounds less then the Baja Cross and the Pit Bulls.

In closing I will say that because we all drive different there is no tire that will be 100% perfect for all conditions. I have punctured every one of these tires side walls but the ITP Baja Cross was the toughest for sure. Even the toughest tires will fail under the right circumstance. Some of us drive aggressive and bounce off of everything in sight and some of us drive light and take time to circumnaviagate the nasty stuff. What I am saying here is that any tire you choose for the rocks will puncture sooner or later under the right conditions. The Pit Bulls and the ITP Baja Cross are going to be the toughest in my opinion. Also be sure to run the correct tire pressure for the given riding conditions as this is very important for traction, handling , and durability of the tire. The main reason for trying the GBC tires is to try and find a balance between light weight and tough (8ply) tires. I am after performance and durabilty. I will post my results after a few miles are on the new shoes.

Todd

Last edited by flying121; 09-21-2010 at 01:29 PM.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Jounior Member

i have the ITP mudlite XTR's i love them. but doing my study on tires i found that the ITP Terracross looks to have the best side wall on the market. the only reason i didn't get them was i wanted to go bigger then 26". i also KG motorcycle tire on the internet. check out their prices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement