Broken belt, again - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Broken belt, again

I got 350 on the XTZ 1000, broke the factory belt. I replaced it with new belt, took it out for the first time yesterday with new belt, and it is shredded. Any suggestions..other things I should check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 09:32 PM

what are you doing with the veh when its shreddin the belt?what have you done to it?is it stock,tires ect?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 10:14 PM

well by the looks of you pic your playing in deep mud . what kind of driving conditions , speeds is it blowing ?

check out my post of '' WEEKEND CARANGE" it talks about when i blew 2 belts in 3 miles !!!

what i found after talking with a bunch of the guys on here and tearing my clutches apart is that the secondary helix and spring are binding , the spring binds up when you get up to higher speeds causing the clutch to stick in that position . then the front clutch changes size , this causes the belt to gain slack in it . with out the load of the belt , the clutches then free up . the belt has tried to drive off of the clutches and it causes the belt to explode!

the fix for this is to has a little machining done to the inside of spring housing to prvent the coils from contacting and binding . ive seen a video of the belt exploding on a machine up on jackstands ! and it is violent !but i cant for th elife of me remember where...... one of the other utv forums they all experince the same problem . and they say weight of the machine and type of terrian ie mud or sand makes the problem worse .

another thing to check is to make sure you replaced with the correct belt . some of the aftermarket belt suppliers say that all the belts are the same size for all AC models , but the xtz has a longer belt but only by a few mm . ,

hope this helps a lil
soazcat

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

I have new tires, 27s. Both times the belt broke, we were just riding down a trail. Nothing at that very moment. I took the clutch all the way apart today, doesn't seem to be binding when I compressed it.

I don't go through very deep mud,usually just up to tires or so. That pic is from a four day ride event.

The second belt was an after market belt, through ebay.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Jounior Member

I have an XTZ and no belt problems, However I ride snowmobiles and NEVER had any luck with anything other than an Arctic cat belt. Aftermarket companys seem to always change engagement rpm and top speed due to different mm widths and lengths. I have found clutches can hang up and overheat quick, that being said clean your clutches with a cleaner that has no residue and never use any kind of spray lube because they will attract dirt. This will cause your clutches to stick. Always run them clean and dry.I hope this helps.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billemartin View Post
I have new tires, 27s. Both times the belt broke, we were just riding down a trail. Nothing at that very moment. I took the clutch all the way apart today, doesn't seem to be binding when I compressed it.

I don't go through very deep mud,usually just up to tires or so. That pic is from a four day ride event.

The second belt was an after market belt, through ebay.

check the spring really close for signs of the paint rubbing off ot the coils and and contact marks inside of the housing where the spring is . it doesnt look like much but its enough to cause a binding problem .
contact ///AIRDAM on here and ask him what he thinks also . nobody knows these clutches better than him . otherwise id say you got the wrong belt . we did have another member on here a while back got an EBAYbelt and it junked out very quickly too . come to find out it was the wrong belt . IMO the cheap route isnt the best route when youre after reliability !
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great info. I am gonna try a belt through the dealer this time. See what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement