oil soaked belt - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

oil soaked belt

hey guys , im having a problem with the crank shaft seal on the out side of the wet clutch housing leaking . i just replaced the seal maybe 50 miles ago , when i redid the clutches . went to tune the clutch today and the belt was covered in oil . cleaned everything up thought maybe the oil was coming thru the splines on the front shaft, so i siliconed the oring and splines , reran it and its deffinantly coming from the seal itself . has anyone had this problem .

Todd showed me on AC parts that the wet clutch and housing have been upadate and have a superseded number . maybe because of the leak ?

Soazcat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:06 AM
Jounior Member

depending on the mileage of your machine, there could be one of two problems, the seal in the housing rides on a 40mm bushing that presses over the shaft itself. that 40mm bushing slides over the shaft and is held on with an o-ring. usually the seal is not the problem, its that 40mm bushing. i have taken a few out that i could not stop leaking, and those seal rings would have a groove cut in them from the seal, and the groove be allowing oil to seep past it. also, the inner side of that seal ring, is only sealed by a thin o-ring. either two of those places are very prone to leaking. is your leak coming from directly thru the shaft? then the 0-ring inside the seal ring is bad. if its leaking around the housing and larger diameter ring the clutch actually sits on, there is likely a groove cut into your seal ring. i have a few good ones, and a few bad ones at the shop i will try and take a picture and post for you tomorrow to show you what is likely the problem and what to look for. if you need a replacement i have a few in like new condition as well

for the oil soaked belt. dawn dish washing liquid in warm water. pour up the sink in warm water and agitate dawn liquid in it, drop the belt in, massage the soap into the belt which will release the oils. take a red scotchbrite and scrub the belt while it is in the water. drain the water, re-fill and repeat the steps at least twice. after you have washed the belt twice, leave it out to dry in the sun. do not artificially heat and dry the belt. let the sun dry it out. it will take some time to do all this, but it beats the heck out of buying a $120 belt

///AIRDAM clutch machining
< http://airdamclutches.com/ >
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

i looked at the collar and it doesnt appear to have a groove in it that i can feel . i did start the motor with the collar out just to see how much oil was behind it and HOLY CRAP there is and oil passage that blows directly at the shaft to lube the outer bearing and it pumps some serious oil . now thats a piss poor idea to use a single lip seal there ! i would think a triple lip seal would do a better job or atleast a a splash sheild to keep that oil pressure from blowing right against the seal . no wonder it leaks .
i am a little concerend on how loosly the collar fits on the seal too . ill have Chris order me another seal and new collar.i siliconed the splines on the shaft because i thought it maybe the oring but after i reran it , its for sure the seal .

happy to hear that i can clean that belt ! it has less than 50 miles on it !!!
\

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:28 PM

how many miles since you put everything in?

Prowler 1k - "El Diablo Del Gato"
dude..it rocks...
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split View Post
how many miles since you put everything in?

28 miles ...........
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Jounior Member

the seal is a double lip seal, and the oil passage does not necessarily oil the bearing, the bearing is a sealed bearing, the oil passage pumps oil behind the bearing and pressurizes the bas side of that housing, forcing oil down the center of the crankshaft. the end of the crankshaft is hollow, so the housing is designed to force oil behind the bearing and into the shaft and there is squirter holes on the other side of the bearing which force oil up into the wet clutches and keep them bathed in oil. so the oil does see alot of pressure behind that housing. the seals are a double lip seal and do a good job of keeping the oil in usually unless the seal ring gets a groove in it. the o-rings on the underside of that seal ring are usually what leak.

either way, a new outer seal, seal ring, and o-ring should fix you right up. i have them all in stock if you need them

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

after looking at it this evening thats excatly what i figured the oil did , my bearing was only sealed on one side ? i got a new seal from Carquest today , compared to the ACseal it looked to be a heavier seal with more sealing surface and spring backed up and the lips were further back on the collar when i installed it .no where the old seal rode . it also fight snugger in the collar. i put it together again and didnt get 2 miles and it started to weep oil into the clutch again . it doesnt seam to leak when i run it here in the shop . im running it with the clutches spinning around 4000rpm in neutral . i ran it for 15 mins before i took it out on the road , couple of hard pulls and looked down in there and it was starting to puddle , (remember i have my outter cover cut so i can see down in clutch housing ). but so far this seal has worked better than the AC ones

now if i wonder if i take the seal plate off of the bearing will that allow enough oil to leak thru and lower the pressure in the cavity with out starving the wet clutch for oil ?
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 12:30 AM
Jounior Member

no sir there would not be any way for the wet clutches to get their oil up inside the drum. they would run dry in a jiffy and burn up. the inside of the wet clutch housing and the cavity it sits in on the side of the engine is a dry sump style. it stays dry and oil is pumped to it and quickly flows out so without the oil being forced thru the outside of the housing, and into the end of the crank to squirt oil up into the wet clutches, i would seriously doubt they would make it more than 10 mins.

so your seal is leaking around the outside of the seal ring? and you are sure its not seeping in thru the splined portion? if you are positive it is coming from around the large seal, i would question the seal ring. they are hardened, but can likely be out of round. that would be the only reason i would think that it would continually leak around multiple seals. the o-ring would allow oil to seep thru the splined portion of the shaft if the o-ring was bad.

in order to change that seal you have to press the wet clutch drum out of the wet clutch housing, and get the bearing out, and then the seal comes out from the inside. you did all that to replace that seal? most folks dont even know how all that stuff comes apart

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 12:34 AM
Jounior Member

i just re-read your post, in order to see that the bearing is only sealed from one side means you had to disassemble the drum from the wet clutch housing. sorry. yes the bearing in only sealed on one side. the side that goes to the outside is sealed in order to pressurize that side of the housing and force oil up into the crank and into the wet clutch squirters. similar to some engines that have a hollowed out crank that squirts oil to various parts of the engine. this ones sole purpose is to force oil into the end of the crank to squirt oil on the back side of that bearing and up into the wet clutch.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AIRDAM View Post
i just re-read your post, in order to see that the bearing is only sealed from one side means you had to disassemble the drum from the wet clutch housing. sorry. yes the bearing in only sealed on one side. the side that goes to the outside is sealed in order to pressurize that side of the housing and force oil up into the crank and into the wet clutch squirters. similar to some engines that have a hollowed out crank that squirts oil to various parts of the engine. this ones sole purpose is to force oil into the end of the crank to squirt oil on the back side of that bearing and up into the wet clutch.

I'm having the same problem. 2012 700xtx You say the the side of the bearing that goes to the outside is sealed? On mine the side that is sealed is toward the motor. Could this be wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement