Seat lowering on an xtz - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Seat lowering on an xtz

Ok so my buddy and i were/are going to lower the seat in our xtz`s.we wer eyeballing the situation lasnite and noticed the rear cyl head is in the way,wtf? How are you guys getting around this?just crowding the left seat to the cage side and going for it? Just looking for some insight since alotta you guys with xtz`s have done it.we thought the exh side was gunna be the issue until we got the eng back in and seen the rear cyl was the bigger deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 12:30 PM

leave the main bar across the rear (lower bed support /frame brace), then cut them near the seat and weld vertical tube from the seat tray to the bar across the back of the cylinder..i think i have a few pix..split

Prowler 1k - "El Diablo Del Gato"
dude..it rocks...
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by split View Post
leave the main bar across the rear (lower bed support /frame brace), then cut them near the seat and weld vertical tube from the seat tray to the bar across the back of the cylinder..i think i have a few pix..split
ya i got all that,i was wondering about the clearance on side of cyl head,you just cramming the seat tray down against the side of the head and calling it good?or just moving everything toward the side to gain some clearance?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 02:19 PM

i have about 1.5 - 2 inch clearance..

Prowler 1k - "El Diablo Del Gato"
dude..it rocks...
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by split View Post
i have about 1.5 - 2 inch clearance..
between the side of seat and side of rear cyl head? With stock cage? You sitting on a stool.lmao
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Founding Member

Hey Don, what seats are you using, I found that only certain seats really fit okay. The Beard Super TZs and a couple others fit good, but most seats are 22 inches or wider, they have a hard time fitting.

When I first lowered my seats, I made a heat shield to go between my seat and the head out of 16 gauge sheet metal. It seemed to work good.
I like the way Flying 121's Prowler is, he widened the entire cage area down to the floor by adding a 2x2 inch square tube to the OEM floorside.

You will be so glad after you lower the seats, it really improves the handling and makes it more fun to sling around corners...

Arctic Cat Prowler Desert Race XTZ: ITP BajaCross tires on ITP Beadlocks, Beard Super TZ Seats, Crowe 5pt harnesses, King Off-Road Racing Shocks, Custom Racing Chassis with 7 inch longer wheelbase, +5 Suspension set at 16 Front and 17 inches Rear inches travel, UTVINC did the tube bending
TEAM PROWLER NATION...
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Hey darryl i was just fixn to bother you! I got race trim seats,should be here today,they are "sposibly" 1/2-1 in wider then the arctic cat accy seats.will know about the fit when i get them.so i was gunna ask how much you lowered yours? Also i was noticing that there is room to lower the eng an in or so,do you know of anyone that has done it?with ujoints in both drivelines i dont see where there should be any problems.as long as you protect the bottom of the case.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Founding Member

Here's what mine looked like after the first lowering...

tight squeeze...

end result...

you can see the comparison to a stock XTZ. Notice the increased ground clearance, yet overall height is still shorter than stock...

even have room for 6'4" guys...

even fits heightwise on trails better like the RZR..

Arctic Cat Prowler Desert Race XTZ: ITP BajaCross tires on ITP Beadlocks, Beard Super TZ Seats, Crowe 5pt harnesses, King Off-Road Racing Shocks, Custom Racing Chassis with 7 inch longer wheelbase, +5 Suspension set at 16 Front and 17 inches Rear inches travel, UTVINC did the tube bending
TEAM PROWLER NATION...
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Jounior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by team arctic View Post
Hey darryl i was just fixn to bother you! I got race trim seats,should be here today,they are "sposibly" 1/2-1 in wider then the arctic cat accy seats.will know about the fit when i get them.so i was gunna ask how much you lowered yours? Also i was noticing that there is room to lower the eng an in or so,do you know of anyone that has done it?with ujoints in both drivelines i dont see where there should be any problems.as long as you protect the bottom of the case.

I looked at lowering the engine an inch as well back when I started my build but honestly there is no reason to unless you were going all out with a complete frame up build that inch or so is not going to really make a difference.
My cage is very low to the point that I am 6'00" and the top of my car only reaches the bottom of my chin. When you lower your seats far enough and bring the cage down that is were you will see true gains.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by team arctic View Post
Hey Don,
I looked at lowering the engine when I built the race car, but decided against it just for the shear added work. Plus, if I happen to case it hard, I keep a bit of distance between the skid plate and engine. But otherwise, don't see any reason it wouldn't work.
But seriously, look at flying121's setup, that is the best way to do it.
Hope some of the photos give you an idea of what it'll end up like..

TEAM PROWLER NATION...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement